Options

Canon CanoScan 9000F - Opinions?

piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited November 18, 2010 in Accessories
I need to get a slide scanner, and I would like one that is fairly economical. I have loads of old slides / negs, but no intention on ever shooting film again.

I used to have the HP S20 years ago, but HP in their wisdom would not design it in a way that the driver could be used on Windows xp and beyond. HP has always been bad about their support for "legacy" products, even ones that are only one year old.

Anyone have this scanner? Other recommendatiosn? This one is only $175 and is about the most I would be willing to pay. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2010
    I need to get a slide scanner, and I would like one that is fairly economical. I have loads of old slides / negs, but no intention on ever shooting film again.

I used to have the HP S20 years ago, but HP in their wisdom would not design it in a way that the driver could be used on Windows xp and beyond. HP has always been bad about their support for "legacy" products, even ones that are only one year old.

Anyone have this scanner? Other recommendatiosn? This one is only $175 and is about the most I would be willing to pay. Thanks.

I have the previous version, the 8800F. I like it, even though I barely use it now that all my film is scanned! This comes from someone that has a dedicated (albeit old) Minolta Medium Format film scanner.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    Windows 7 64 bit drivers?
    I would be interested to hear about other slide scanner people would recommend.

Unfortunately the case with most printers and scanners is that we are slaves to either HP, Epson, or Canon with regards to using their drivers and supporting software. In many cases, the printer/scanner simply will not work without using an entire suite of unnecessary bloatware created to drive sales of ink, paper, printing, and social networking services, rather than concentrating on cleanly and efficiently providing the best scan for the customer who has just laid out the cash for the product.

The requirement to control your scanner from proprietary software is an unfortunate drag. Unfortunately, you seldom read reviews of these products that ever go into detail with regards to the driver, or the accompanying suite of bloatware.

Someone else out there must feel the same pain. Can anyone recommend a slide scanner that is straight forward to use, with simple Windows 7 64 bit drivers and software, rather than a massive suite of bloatware? Am I asking too much? Thanks.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2010
    WHile I have the Canon, I DO NOT use the Canon software to scan. Most scanners are pretty open and don't require you to use their software now. I use VueScan, it produces better results than anything I've used in the past. It's I think around $40 and works with a HUGE array of scanners. www.hamrick.com
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2010
    Thanks for the tip on VueScan! I just checked, and it actually supports the old HP S20 on W7 64 bit! I no longer have it though, and it was a bit of a clunker, although I think it may have been one of the first commercially available slide / photo scanners that was somewhat affordable. I paid about $450 back in 99!

Regardless of what I buy, I will likely buy a license for this software so I can be free of the manufacturers bloatware.