• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 9  of  17
Old May-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Cloud Chaser is offline Cloud Chaser
Peace and B-Wild
Sad Separate Galleries page...where did I go wrong?
I'm sorry, I'm obviously still trying to get a handle on all this. I hope I'm replying correctly this time. My current "issue" is that I HAD things pretty much set up where everything was hidden on the "home" page except for a slideshow. Well, I changed from galleries to "categories" (that's ALL I did!) and now I'm back to where I was before. All I want is a separate home and galleries page. Please.

Thank you...
http://www.mariahumphreysphotography.com/
Old May-18-2011, 11:44 AM
jfriend is offline jfriend OP
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Chaser View Post
I'm sorry, I'm obviously still trying to get a handle on all this. I hope I'm replying correctly this time. My current "issue" is that I HAD things pretty much set up where everything was hidden on the "home" page except for a slideshow. Well, I changed from galleries to "categories" (that's ALL I did!) and now I'm back to where I was before. All I want is a separate home and galleries page. Please.

Thank you...
http://www.mariahumphreysphotography.com/
Seems to be working fine for me now. Did you fix it or do you still have a question?
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old May-24-2011, 03:26 PM
TheGoondocks is offline TheGoondocks
Major grins
I tried the original script and cannot get it to work. I do have a fullscreen slideshow and transparent banner on my original homepage though. Could this be causing a problem? When I set up the links in my header/navbar, they either kept me on the fullscreen slideshow, or they took me to a blank homepage.
Old May-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoondocks View Post
I tried the original script and cannot get it to work. I do have a fullscreen slideshow and transparent banner on my original homepage though. Could this be causing a problem? When I set up the links in my header/navbar, they either kept me on the fullscreen slideshow, or they took me to a blank homepage.
Sorry, but we can't really help unless you include a link to your site with the script in place and then a short description of what you're trying to accomplish (or what isn't working that you want help with).
Old May-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Major grins
Whoops, I guess that would help, huh? *Smacks head*

Currently I just put a gallery link in the header but clicking it gets me nowhere

The only changes I made was to add a .bio #biobox because I want one of my extra pages to have a bio, unless its easier to just add some HTML somehow.

Last edited by TheGoondocks; May-27-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old May-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Whoops, I guess that would help, huh? *Smacks head*

www.derekhannah.com

Currently I just put a gallery link in the header but clicking it gets me nowhere

The only changes I made was to add a .bio #biobox because I want one of my extra pages to have a bio, unless its easier to just add some HTML somehow.
Add this missing comma shown in red here:

Code:
.bio #biobox,
.galleries #galleriesBox,
.galleries #categoriesBox,
.find #datesBox,
.map #mapBox,
.featured #featuredBox,
.featured-events #eventsBox,
.recent #recentPhotosBox {display: block;}
Old May-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Major grins
Thanks. It still wasn't working, but I re-did the URL link and included the full http: and it worked this time. It WAS working if I physically typed in .../galleries, but the link wouldn't work. Go figure. However, the only one still not working is derekhannah.com/bio. That just seems to reload the fullscreen slideshow page. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Old May-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Thanks. It still wasn't working, but I re-did the URL link and included the full http: and it worked this time. It WAS working if I physically typed in derekhannah.com/galleries, but the link wouldn't work. Go figure. However, the only one still not working is derekhannah.com/bio. That just seems to reload the fullscreen slideshow page. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
All navbar links must either start with a / or http://.

There are three problems with the .bio page.

1) Your bioBox is not visible
2) You haven't disabled the homepage slideshow on the bio page
3) The bioBox is empty

Change this part of your CSS to fix #1:

Code:
.bio #bioBox,
.find #datesBox,
.map #mapBox,
.featured #featuredBox,
For #2, you will have to follow the instructions for that homepage slideshow you're using to disable on a bio page.

For #3, you have to put some working content into the bio. Right now you have a non-functioning custom slideshow in the bio box.
Old May-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Major grins
Ok, I just put the bio onto the /Featured page. I just put "Testing" in the box to see if it would work. Now the last problem I am trying to figure out, is how to get the keyword search onto the same page (derekhannah.com/find ) as the timeline. I want this to be my "Search" page on my navbar.
Old May-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Ok, I just put the bio onto the /Featured page. I just put "Testing" in the box to see if it would work. Now the last problem I am trying to figure out, is how to get the keyword search onto the same page (derekhannah.com/find ) as the timeline. I want this to be my "Search" page on my navbar.
Add another missing comma:

Code:
.find #datesBox,
.find #keywordsBox, 
.map #mapBox,
.featured #bioBox,
Old May-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Major grins
I just had to laugh at myself for making the same mistake twice. That fixed it. Thanks for all of your help.

If I wanted to add something new, could I go to my homepage and add some things and then go adjust the code for it or do I have to start from step 2 and do everything all over again? The other question is, what is the phrase to use for a single photo page or single video page. Would a correct example be to add ( .featured-event #videoBox, )
Old May-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
I just had to laugh at myself for making the same mistake twice. That fixed it. Thanks for all of your help.

If I wanted to add something new, could I go to my homepage and add some things and then go adjust the code for it or do I have to start from step 2 and do everything all over again? The other question is, what is the phrase to use for a single photo page or single video page. Would a correct example be to add ( .featured-event #videoBox, )
You can incrementally just add new items and modify the CSS and add new pages to the multihomepage script. Can you see CSS identifiers for new objects in the homepage by doing a View/Source on the page and looking at the HTML or you can use a more powerful tool like the free Firefox add-ons Firebug or Web Developer that let you look directly at the objects in any web page.
Old May-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend View Post
You can incrementally just add new items and modify the CSS and add new pages to the multihomepage script. Can you see CSS identifiers for new objects in the homepage by doing a View/Source on the page and looking at the HTML or you can use a more powerful tool like the free Firefox add-ons Firebug or Web Developer that let you look directly at the objects in any web page.
Is #videoBox or #photoBox the correct terms to use for those pages? The tutorial did not include those in the example and code given.
Old May-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Is #videoBox or #photoBox the correct terms to use for those pages? The tutorial did not include those in the example and code given.
Are you not interested in learning how to figure this out for yourself like I described in my previous post?
Old May-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Major grins
Quote:
Are you not interested in learning how to figure this out for yourself like I described in my previous post?
I apologize, I did not realize that was in reference to that question, I thought you were just giving me a tip that was unrelated to that and had forgotten to answer that question. No need to be snippy about it. I appreciate the help and would like to learn. Can you be a little more clear? Which page would I look at the source? My homepage currently has no single picture or single video on it.
Old May-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
I apologize, I did not realize that was in reference to that question, I thought you were just giving me a tip that was unrelated to that and had forgotten to answer that question. No need to be snippy about it. I appreciate the help and would like to learn. Can you be a little more clear? Which page would I look at the source? My homepage currently has no single picture or single video on it.
I didn't intend to be snippy. I had written some advice about finding objects on the page and I couldn't tell if you didn't see it or were not interested in learning how to do it yourself. To see what those objects are, you would put them on your homepage and then look at the HTML of the homepage to see what the objects are called.
Old May-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Major grins
Ok, I tried that and am skimming through the code. I see "photoVideoBox" I assume that would be what I am looking for. So I assume I would use, just for example

featured-events #photoVideoBox

Edit: I just tried it and it worked.

Old May-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Ok, I tried that and am skimming through the code. I see "photoVideoBox" I assume that would be what I am looking for. So I assume I would use, just for example

featured-events #photoVideoBox if I wanted to add a video box to www.derekhannah.com/featured-events

Edit: I just tried it and it worked.
Cool!
Old May-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Major grins
Quote:
Cool!
Thanks again for your help.
Old Jun-10-2011, 09:35 PM
dizzle114 is offline dizzle114
Big grins
Oh where to start....Im trying to have a Home tab including slideshow and bio, Guestbook tab ( which is active and working ) and a Categories tab which currently looks like the home tab info.....Only one of the three is working...Nice first post eh?
Page 9  of  17
Tell The World!