Winners of Mini-Challenge 107 Autumnal Color

StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
edited October 18, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
First off, allow me to say that this was far more difficult than I would ever have imagined. All of you so far exceeded my expectations that I am thrilled by the talent exhibited in this thread. You certainly did fill my world with color!

When I first chose my favorites, I had 30 on my list! (I'll bet you'd have a similar-sized list--but that your choices would be different than mine!) I've narrowed that down to my ten honorable mentions and four top winners. (I know, I know...I should have only three places at the top, but I couldn't do it!) In the end, I chose photos that had autumnal color as the primary aesthetic element, but that also exhibited overall excellence and drew me in emotionally.

Because this list is so long, I've reduced many of the sizes slightly. Please feel free to refer back to the original thread to see the photos in larger glory...and take the time to check out all the others too!

Now, in no particular order, the honorable mentions:

dnie

1035568148_fsfmh-M.jpg

This brought me back to my childhood lying under the trees in a leaf pile and looking up at the sky. It made me sigh. (Your water shot was great too!)

LadyKate

1035765894_hWn4s-L.jpg

This graceful drape of shocking red in an otherwise drab environment was riveting!

Snowgirl

1036174560_zap5m-M.jpg

I love the warm golden tones of this shot. It just worked for me.

Karlabbott

1032535498_5yko7-M.jpg

How I admired this shot! I love the black branches tracing their way through the shot and the sudden surprise of the red leaves in the corner.

zoomn

1037913992_u2Bnc-L.jpg

I knew that one of your shots was going to make the list--I loved them all--but in the end, this was the one that I returned to again and again. The yellow is so welcoming and tempts me down the path...

lfortier

394287804_DP8YH-M-1.jpg

Oh, that orange-red is so beautiful...and the soft colors in the background of this are lovely. ( I loved all your shots, honestly. The red wheel almost took this place.)

mark h

medium.jpg

All of your miniature world shots are wonderful, but the color in this is thrilling.

sdways01

1045575653_LWFmG-M-1.jpg

Great moment caught well...and the fact that the engines were yellow just make the shot for me!

WhatSheSaw

1048571908_zWj2Z-M.jpg

So cool! Every shade of autumn I love in supersaturated world.

Tracker

677010778_EvGcF-M-1.jpg

Beautiful, sharp shot...and the orange of the persimmons just pops!

Now...drumroll...

In fourth place is richtersl's simply breathtaking shot of a farm in the fall. I came back to this shot over and over again. I love the different planes of visual interest--the golden foreground, the red, red barns of the midfield, and the colorful trees of the background.

220178360_CuPgz-XL-1.jpg

In third place is CAPTURED2H's simple leaf--bright gold against a deep blue-green background. The complementary color scheme is beautiful--it caused me to linger every single time I scrolled past.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31684&stc=1&d=1286583857

A very, very close second (I vacillated back and forth for hours!) is jwear's duck. My goodness, what a beautiful shot! The color, obviously, is amazing...and the detail is quite stunning. Look at the crisp neck feathers against the beautiful purple of the breast.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31767&stc=1&d=1287194296

Finally, my first place winner is dlscott56's waterfall. I love the beautiful curve of color--yellow to gold to orange--contrasted against the browns and greys of the rock and the water. Congratulations! What a great photograph!

680146550_3uA9Y-XL-3.jpg

Ack! Now I've got to stop before I change my mind again! Really well done, each and every one of you!!!

Tag, dlscott56! You are it!

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Thanks so much for the HM.

Congrats to everyone! There were some real beauty's in this challenge.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Absolutely stunning shots and GREAT selections - I'm sure it was not easy :D

I too agree that dlscott56's shot is a winner clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited October 17, 2010
    Great work Stueve! A well thought out round and lots of wonderful images! Congrates to all and dlscott your it! It will be interesting to see what you come up with!
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    I didn't envy you, Stueve, having to choose from among such wonderful images. Your commentaries on each as to why you chose them are excellent and very helpful.

Thank you for including my "school slate" shot. This is my first time entering a challenge and I really didn't expect to be included in the top group at all - but wanted to give it a try.

The winning waterfall is an amazing shot and now, I'm really looking forward to the next challenge.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    Thanks for the nod on my farm shot.

Congrats to all!

Can't wait to see what dlscott56 comes up with! :D
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    Congrats to allclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Amazing shots in this round by all! Very inspiring!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • PixpopPixpop Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    Inspiring
    You've caused me to get off my butt today.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    No lag in voting here! First thank you for second place but mostly for a great theme and the job you did in running it -Timely and a wonderful variety of shots in your final picks with well thought out comments,You did a lot better job on your mini than I did by farthumb.gif. You did well to pick 14 it would have been very easy to have the 30.
    Really there is one winner and a whole lots of runner ups ,not an easy task to pick just one eek7.gif again you did a fantastic job grats to all the folks that really share second with me clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    Wow, what a surprise when I logged in today! Thanks Stueve and congratulations to all. I've spent lots of time looking at everyone's shots and love all the entries.

Hmmm ... now I've got to get my thinking cap on quickly here! I'll take a look at the list of previous ones and try to get something up by tomorrow. Sooner if it doesn't take too long to finish my attic insulation project today. Got to keep the cold out ya know.:D
  • LadyKateLadyKate Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    I enjoyed my participation in this---my first 'Challenge'! I loved viewing the beautiful entries, with their different perspectives! And.........thank you for the HM! That was icing on the cake!
    Looking forward to finding out what the Winner selects as their challenge theme.
    Live! Love! Laugh! Learn! :curtsey
  • LadyKateLadyKate Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Wow, what a surprise when I logged in today! Thanks Stueve and congratulations to all. I've spent lots of time looking at everyone's shots and love all the entries.

Hmmm ... now I've got to get my thinking cap on quickly here! I'll take a look at the list of previous ones and try to get something up by tomorrow. Sooner if it doesn't take too long to finish my attic insulation project today. Got to keep the cold out ya know.:D

clap.gif Congratulations! clap.gif

Re: your winning image --- within a day or so after you posted your entries, I was attending/participating in a guided meditation. We were being guided to envision some place where we would thoroughly enjoy spending some time; a place where we could experience all of our senses; a place of beauty and peace, etc.
    *** I went to your Autumn Waterfall !!! *** Was magnificient, thank you!!
    Where is the actual location?

Looking forward to your choice of challenge!
    Live! Love! Laugh! Learn! :curtsey
  • CAPTURED2HCAPTURED2H Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    thumb.gif disco and Thank you for 3rd wings.gif
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2010
    LadyKate wrote: »
    clap.gif Congratulations! clap.gif

Re: your winning image --- within a day or so after you posted your entries, I was attending/participating in a guided meditation. We were being guided to envision some place where we would thoroughly enjoy spending some time; a place where we could experience all of our senses; a place of beauty and peace, etc.
    *** I went to your Autumn Waterfall !!! *** Was magnificient, thank you!!
    Where is the actual location?

Looking forward to your choice of challenge!

It's Acadia National park in Maine. Beautiful place. Went there for the Dgrin shootout last year. Unfortunately they didn't have one this year.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    Congratulations to all and especially dlscott56! :D

Thanks for the Honorable Mention!
  • zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    Great contest Stueve! Thanks for the HM and congrats to evryone who participated!
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    Congrat's all.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.