very nice ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Where is this shot taken?
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Oooh, I really like this one. The framing is excellent.

It leaves me wanting to know how the face came out when the artists was finished.

Really neat!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Great shot! I like it very much.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    I get the feeling she is holding a head dismembered from the body. It's eery looking. Great composition and the B&W really adds to the capture.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    I get the feeling she is holding a head dismembered from the body. It's eery looking. Great composition and the B&W really adds to the capture.

yes yes exactly--that's why I coudlnt' stop looking at it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    Very haunting. I think the B&W conversion helps a lot with the deathly look. Very halloweenesque
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2010
    It creeps me out just a bit, too. Because you can't see the person's neck/body, it almost looks like the artist is painting a mask. Add in that it's coming up on Halloween.. :-) Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool shot. Just a hair creepy.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2010
    It creeps me out just a bit, too. Because you can't see the person's neck/body, it almost looks like the artist is painting a mask. Add in that it's coming up on Halloween.. :-) Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool shot. Just a hair creepy.

Strange, I don´t get the creepy feeling at all. I think it is very peaceful, the girl is very relaxed and the face painter really focused. I like this very much.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited October 15, 2010
    Excellent capture. The composition is great. The line formed by the paint brush and eye lashes brings it all together. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Thanks, everyone!

I had many of the same thoughts when I first captured this shot. The word that came to mind was "discombobulated", one of those words you might hear as a kid and try using in conversation for the next few days cuz it is such a neat word...

It does have both a "creepy" factor and a "peaceful" element to it with the girl calm and relaxed with eyes closed.

I shot this at a 216mm FL, the opposite extreme from most of my recent shots at 17mm. The shooting style and the shots I looked for with this arrangement were completely different, but valued in its own right. (I actually had both cameras around my neck for this art and wine festival).
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Excellent capture. The composition is great. The line formed by the paint brush and eye lashes brings it all together. bowdown.gif

That's what it is! I looked at a few subsequent shots that were not quite as compelling, realizing that the brush had to be part of the shot. But your verbalizing of the "line formed" (and connecting the artist with the subject) is what adds the unity to this shot.

Thanks!
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    1041008532_vJ8EU-XL.jpg

Very nice one, Rainbow. I particularly like the hand under the chin, and the tattoo (painting) on that hand. Nicely done.:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Very nice one, Rainbow. I particularly like the hand under the chin, and the tattoo (painting) on that hand. Nicely done.:D

Man, Alan Webb really knew what he was talking about -- that "tattoo" is a spot of red paint and drew your attention right to it (even in a b/w conversion)eek7.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    imgsrcimgsrc Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2010
    Beautiful. I usually don't like b/w photos (I know, right) but it worked perfectly here.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2010
    imgsrc wrote: »
    Beautiful. I usually don't like b/w photos (I know, right) but it worked perfectly here.

Glad you liked it. Hang around this forum some more and you will develop a fondness/preference for B & W.
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2010
    yes