Options

Fireworks?

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited July 5, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Anyone up for an informal fireworks challenge?

Any pointers on fireworks for those who need it?

I know I do!

I guess this would apply mostly to those of us who celebrate the 4th of July. Damon, do you have access to fireworks? How 'bout you brits and aussies?
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    some generic fireworks tips
    DavidTO wrote:

I know I do!

I guess this would apply mostly to those of us who celebrate the 4th of July. Damon, do you have access to fireworks? How 'bout you brits and aussies?

Generic answer would be to start with f/4 - 2 seconds - lowest iso you can use

Shoot in manual mode (not shutter priority), and set the focus manually to infinity.

Adjust the shutter speed as the show progresses and as needed to get the right exposure.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    Why f4, Andy? Slightly off the widest setting for less distortion, but still fast?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Why f4, Andy? Slightly off the widest setting for less distortion, but still fast?

f4's as wide as I go...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I usually do f16 and 15 or 30sec exposures.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    Good question, made me read around the 'net briefly. Most say to bracket exposure times, but mostly within the times Andy suggested. Most seem to advocate smaller aperatures. Here's an example of what I've been seeing.

ISO SETTING APERTURE RANGE
    ISO 50 Æ’/5.6 to 11
    ISO 100 Æ’/8 to 16
    ISO 200 Æ’/11 to 22

Some good advice out here, some of it common sense. Tripod. Set up away from people, so that no-one gets in your lens. Upwind. Open the shutter before the firework bursts. Conflicting advice on whether to stay open until the trails die, or close right after the biggest light from the explosion.

One shooter says to shoot a frame of black (make a frame with the lens cap on) and layer in PS later, to remove noise. Another keeps the lens open, holds a black card in front, removes it at the right moment, gets multiple bursts in a single frame.

This link has three different articles. Check out the effects from the sparkler in the Backyard Fireworks here.

And here's the multiple explosions-on-one-frame image - no doubt on film, not digital.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Ohhhhhh Cool Thread
    I have a full week at Disneyland coming up and I want to be able to photograph the fireworks display at night :)
    I am watching this thread with excitement and jotting down notes clap.gif

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    THE TOOTHTHE TOOTH Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Ok, I have a pretty nebie question. I have a Sony DSC-828. How can I set the focus to infinate? Just when I learn some stuff, I have to learn more. Laughing.gif!
    You can't handle THE TOOTH!!!
  • Options
    morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    I am up to the challenge, bob 26381669-M.jpg
    DavidTO wrote:

I know I do!

• Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Good stuff everyone, and thanks!thumb.gif
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Canada Day - July 1st is coming up before the American independence.
    I don't know if my small town will have fireworks- they usually save them for a festival type shingdig in August but if there are I'll take everyone's tips- thanks for those. I was looking up how to do fireworks but nothing works better than the straight forward answer.

Go Canada!
    National Pride kicked in...eh!
    Ashley

Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 28, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    I have a full week at Disneyland coming up and I want to be able to photograph the fireworks display at night :)
    I am watching this thread with excitement and jotting down notes clap.gif

Skippy (Australia)
    Oh Skippy, you'll have a GREAT time. The new 50th Anniversary Parade and Fireworks show is fantastic. Try to get as close to the castle as possible to enjoy all of the effects.

Enjoy your visit!
    26448122-L.jpg
    26448124-L.jpg
    26448125-L.jpg
    26448123-L.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    I love the first photo, Angelo. This is a great time of yr to do Disney, not that I like that many people, ever, anywhere. But that is just me.

I would have liked to have done DC in some past yrs. The Mall, would have wanted to be on the mall.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    I don't know if my small town will have fireworks- they usually save them for a festival type shingdig in August but if there are I'll take everyone's tips- thanks for those. I was looking up how to do fireworks but nothing works better than the straight forward answer.

Go Canada!
    Ashley

Go Canada!!!! Neighbors forever!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

I know I do!

David - great idea! I'll do my best for you. I'll be at the Bowl Sunday evening and hope I can catch some great shots. (fingers crossed)
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Hi Ya Angelo
    Angelo wrote:
    Oh Skippy, you'll have a GREAT time. The new 50th Anniversary Parade and Fireworks show is fantastic. Try to get as close to the castle as possible to enjoy all of the effects.

Enjoy your visit!
    Wow.......I can't wait I really cant rolleyes1.gif
    Did you use a flash to do the street parades at night?
    I am taking my 50mm and my 24mm both are F1.4
    I would be really really really happy if I get just one decent fireworks shot at Disneyland :D
    Any other tips you could tell me about shooting at Disneyland ??
    Thanks for sharing........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    I did use a flash. I was using my Nikor 18-70 kit lens.
    Many here with much more experience have offered advice on how to shoot fireworks. I'm hoping to get good shots for the 4th.

Photo possibilties at Disneyland are broad and varied. I can only suggest you stay alert, armed and ready to shoot! :D

Skippy wrote:
    Wow.......I can't wait I really cant rolleyes1.gif
    Did you use a flash to do the street parades at night?
    I am taking my 50mm and my 24mm both are F1.4
    I would be really really really happy if I get just one decent fireworks shot at Disneyland :D
    Any other tips you could tell me about shooting at Disneyland ??
    Thanks for sharing........ Skippy (Australia)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    oh c a n a d a ...

Go Canada!
    Ashley

yes. go canada. a country that gives us both diana krall iloveyou.gif and peameal bacon :eat should be honored more than once a year though!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Blue SnapshotsBlue Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Thanks to everyone for the great tips
    Being a complete Fireworks Virgin myself, I've decided to give it a try this year. It seems from reading all the pointers that everyone has their own recommendations and the best bet is just to go for it and learn from my mistakes. Below is another "lesson" link on the subject that I don't see mentioned by anyone else. Gives yet another perspective on the subject;

http://www.deviantart.com/view/9221106/
    My Smugmug Snaps

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    hmmm much better than last year, but still not close to my sports stuff :(

27139997-M.jpg
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    good one Winger! love the steple!

Here's the first one I porcessed from last night; view from Mokapu Beach, Maui:

27221036-L.jpg