• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Maximum header width

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Oct-10-2010, 09:31 AM
jskwarek is offline jskwarek OP
Major grins
Maximum header width
I'm using a custom header with banner and the stretch slide show, both look great on most screens and I like how it stretches and shrinks to fit any screen but what I've noticed is on wider screens like what I use for a desktop screen things in the header get too far apart, what I'd like to learn is the following:

1 ) is there a way to keep the stretch but set a maximum for the header? Say 1000px or 1200px as the max width

2) for the NAVBAR I noticed on a 13" Macbook Pro that the Navbar collided with the banner logo, is there a way to setup the code that if this starts to happen the NAVBAR will wrap? Right now I've got a break in the NAVBAR to take it to two lines but I'd like to have a single line unless the wrap is absolutely necessary.

TIA,
Jason

skwareks.smugmug.com
Old Oct-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Major grins
After looking at the possibility of adding a background texture I would really like to be able to limit the width of the entire site to 1200 px and that would stay a black background, I'd then like to put a background .gif that would show on any screen wider than the 1200 px. Does that make sense?

Thanks again,
Jason
Old Oct-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Why limit? See my site, it works on any width window or monitor resolution. http://www.moonriverphotography.com
Old Oct-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Major grins
At 2000px wide the site seems a little empty when displayed that way. I'd like to add a background image and give the site a more centered look with a nice background image with a black stripe more or less down the center. Something along the lines of this site. http://www.andrewgransdenphotography.co.uk/

Jason
Old Oct-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Empty? http://img.skitch.com/20101010-rcdu5...p4egf7xsup.jpg
:) That's 2650px wide.

One more, 5000+ px wide, across two 30" monitors. I like to fill the screen.
http://img.skitch.com/20101010-pqfpw...bwcnr7hhce.jpg
Old Oct-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Major grins
I think the galleries look great and would love to keep them stretched the way they are, I'm specifically talking about my home page, about and prices pages. Here's a screen shot of the home page, see how wide it all looks? I'd like to center the header, the images in the Flash are 1000px and the footer keywords I'd all like to keep at 1200 px in a black stripe and have a background image behind those. Right now it seems like there's too much space between the banner logo and the Navbar, too much space between the header and the flash, and again from the Flash to the keywords. In the galleries pages I'd like to keep them they way they are.

Jason

Old Oct-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Major grins
I think I've figured out a better way to ask question 2). The NAVBAR wraps once it hits 0px to the left but it's wrapping behind the banner logo. Is there a way to say 440px (width of logo) is 0 so it will start it's wrap there instead of behind the logo?

Jason
Old Oct-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Major grins
Here's the overall look I'm looking to achieve on the home page and all other pages with except galleries.

Old Oct-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Major grins
OK, I'm slowly getting there, take a look at the site now. skwareks.smugmug.com. Here are the things I'm still struggling with, again I want to make these changes to all pages BUT the actually galleries.

1) Is there a way to make the Navbar start it's wrap at the right edge of the logo instead of behind the logo?
2) I used the HTML center code to center the Slideshow and it looks like I've lost my stretch because of it. Can I set a max width but if smaller the stretch shrinks?
3) How do I get the black solid down the center? Right now there are small gaps between the slideshow and the footer.
4) How do I center the header and make a max width of the center stripe?
Tell The World!