Options

The Bulk Gallery Download Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 7, 2011 in SmugMug Support
This was our #6 top requested feature on our Feature Request System, Bulk Gallery Downloads.

Happy to say that with last night's release, it's done! Full help page here.

So How Does Bulk Gallery Downloading Work?

It's rather simple.... when logged in, go to your gallery and click the tools menu. There, click 'Download All' and you'll get a notice saying we're prepping the files and sending you an email. In a few minutes, check for that email. It'll look like this:

20101023-krmntwrh7pxmgp6te658p2qi7.jpg

Simply click on the link and you'll be prompted by your browser to save the zip file to your computer. Once the download is complete, you can unzip and enjoy.

FAQs

Exactly what gets downloaded?
Your original jpg files that you uploaded to SmugMug. For videos that we've rendered, it's the largest size we've made for you, which will not be exactly the same as your original. Original videos and other SmugVault files are downloaded.

Whoa, I'm worried about security - who can do this?
Only you, when logged in. This feature is available for Basic, Power and Pro accounts. Go wild!

Wait a minute! I want my clients or visitors to be able to get a whole gallery!
No problem. Just forward them the email (or the link in the email). The link is active for two weeks.

Are you going to enable this for visitors, directly, without my internvention?
Who knows what the future will bring? But if we do, you'll know about it. It will respect your gallery settings, so if you have either right-click protection on, or Originals blocked, or both, the option won't be there for visitors.

What about videos, SmugVault files, collected photos - are they included?
Yup. For collected photos, they're only included if you own them.

What about monster large files that I have in my SmugVault?
They're delivered separately.

What about huuuuuuuuge galleries?
We'll break up giant galleries into multiple zip files, and we'll tell you this in your emails.

I have a custom domain, can I use it instead of SmugMug's URL in the email?
Yes. Simply replace http://www.smugmug.com/downloads/XXXXXXXXX with http://www.yourdomain.com/downloads/XXXXXXXX
We'll see about adding custom domain support directly into the emails in a future release.

EDIT: OCT 22, 2010: We added this! :thumb If you've a custom domain, your emails will use it now

What about my original filenames?
They are now included in the returned filename, along with some other #s.

I added files to my gallery and need a new zip made, but the old link is still active, what do I do? Simply write our Support Heroes and we'll expire that old link for you and you can request a new one from your gallery tools menu.

We hope you enjoy. Got questions? Ask 'em here :ear

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited October 1, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Whoa, I'm worried about security - who can do this?
    Only you, when logged in.
    In the thread Zenfolio introduces batch gallery downloading Malte asked if you would be enabling this for visitors. Your response was "It's possible in the future we may allow direct for visitors, but we want to see customer reaction to this."

I asked this question there and was directed to this thread:
    Is it safe to assume that if you extend this bulk download to visitors that there will be a way for us to disable that? And that the option would be OFF by default?
    I wasn't asking about the new currently implemented functionality.
    I was asking about your statement that it's possible that you may allow direct downloading for visitors.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010
    In the thread Zenfolio introduces batch gallery downloading Malte asked if you would be enabling this for visitors. Your response was "It's possible in the future we may allow direct for visitors, but we want to see customer reaction to this."

I asked this question there and was directed to this thread:
    Is it safe to assume that if you extend this bulk download to visitors that there will be a way for us to disable that? And that the option would be OFF by default?
    I wasn't asking about the new currently implemented functionality.
    I was asking about your statement that it's possible that you may allow direct downloading for visitors.

--- Denise

Denise, maybe I'm being daft - but does this item in the above FAQs not answer your question?
    Andy wrote:

Are you going to enable this for visitors, directly, without my internvention?
    Who knows what the future will bring? But if we do, you'll know about it. It will respect your gallery settings, so if you have either right-click protection on, or Originals blocked, or both, the option won't be there for visitors.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited October 1, 2010
    Denise, maybe I'm being daft - but does this item in the above FAQs not answer your question?
    Sorry, no, you're not daft. I somehow missed that. And yes, I did read the FAQs!
    Clearly my brain isn't firing properly this morning.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I like it! Sounds like this'll be just what I need! Thanks!

Dave
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    a few thoughts & questions:

- Is this currrent owner-bulk-download feature for all account types or only pros & power?

- I'd love it if we had a bulk download like this for visitors too, with appropriate controls on what is allowed to be downloaded.

It'd actually be great to have them be able to use the cart to pick what files they want (with option for whole gallery), then to download them all at once in whatever size they want (and are allowed).

... and to have this be clear and easy and not needing to be a sale.

I often post galleries for sharing with family, and invite them to download all they want, but it's normally a bit tedious doing each one individually if you want more than a few. They may not want the whole gallery though, so being able to pick & choose then download would be a terrific feature.

*AND* please have the features be on the basic accounts too, not just pro and/or power.

This is something that isn't just useful for sales, but for simple sharing with family & friends, so please don't limit it to power/pro

thanks,
    jeff
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010
    jwilkinson wrote: »
    a few thoughts & questions:

- Is this currrent owner-bulk-download feature for all account types or only pros & power?

- I'd love it if we had a bulk download like this for visitors too, with appropriate controls on what is allowed to be downloaded.

MY FAQ above says it's for all, so yes, Basic, Power, Pro thumb.gif

We hope to have it for visitors, too - see the item in the FAQ above, thanks!
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Just casting my vote here
    MY FAQ above says it's for all, so yes, Basic, Power, Pro thumb.gif

We hope to have it for visitors, too - see the item in the FAQ above, thanks!

If you need just one more opinion to sway the priority of this feature, count me in. If I could get a bulk download feature for my clients that have already purchased the photos as a function of the contract they have with me, I would drive down there and kiss you.

And NOT a complicated multi-step bulk download where they have to
    - click on buy
    - then select all photos
    - then change the product to digital download
    - then go to a shopping cart
    - then hit a button that says download

My fantasy Bulk Download looks like a button that shows up on every page of my private gallery where I have enabled the Bulk Download Feature on. The button says something like "download all photos in this gallery". And if they click it they get a message somehow that says something like: "great! i'm on it, it'll take a while and i'll send you a link when it's ready"

Thank you Santa Claus,
    Trish
    (you guys are great)
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010
    spider-t wrote: »
    Thank you Santa Claus,
    Trish
    (you guys are great)

wave.gif Trish, long time no talk :D Hey, would you mind dropping this request into our feedback system? http://feedback.smugmug.com thanks!
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    wave.gif Trish, long time no talk :D Hey, would you mind dropping this request into our feedback system? http://feedback.smugmug.com thanks!

Done. Thanks for the link.

still here, still a fan,
    Trish
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    First off thanks to Smugmug for all the new fun stuff, It is really appreciated and works extremely well. I do have one thing I would like to see added to bulk gallery download. I tested it earlier today and was impressed with the ease of use. Can my original filenames stay with the images? That is something really important to me if I have to use this feature.

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    First off thanks to Smugmug for all the new fun stuff, It is really appreciated and works extremely well. I do have one thing I would like to see added to bulk gallery download. I tested it earlier today and was impressed with the ease of use. Can my original filenames stay with the images? That is something really important to me if I have to use this feature.

Thanks,
    We hope to be able to add this. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    PonchoPoncho Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2010
    Bulk Downloads - Customized Image Sizing
    Hey guys... I am really excited about the new Bulk Downloads option. Is there any way to limit the image sizes that are zipped? Any size other/smaller than "Original"?

Thanks

Hunter
  • Options
    habanrhabanr Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Bulk download is nice, but implementation isn't very good
    It's nice that Smugmug has finally implemented bulk download, but nowadays implementation has one problem. Downloaded zip file(s) contains image files with your naming convention and not with original filenames. I don't understand why you cannot restore original file names because you have them in your system (you have feature "show original filenames"). Without original names "bulk download" feature isn't backup for me as I can't use the files in my cataloging system...
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    habanr wrote: »
    It's nice that Smugmug has finally implemented bulk download, but nowadays implementation has one problem. Downloaded zip file(s) contains image files with your naming convention and not with original filenames. I don't understand why you cannot restore original file names because you have them in your system (you have feature "show original filenames"). Without original names "bulk download" feature isn't backup for me as I can't use the files in my cataloging system...
    We like to release early and release often. I hope to have this part soon, stay tuned.
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    I'd also hope it would have original filenames.

Does it include a file with any captions or keywords?

If not, that'd be a suggestion to add...
    preferably in some format (XML?) that associates them with the site filenames/numbers and the original filenames.

thanks,
    jeff
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2010
    jwilkinson wrote: »
    Does it include a file with any captions or keywords?

thanks,
    jeff
    If your photo has this data embedded in the metadata, yes, it'll come back to you when you download it :)

We hope to add original filenames as well.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2010
    Can my original filenames stay with the images? That is something really important to me if I have to use this feature.

Thanks,

Yes! Downloads now include your filename in the downloaded file.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2010
    Bump, we added in your original filenames to the downloaded files, and also made it so if you have a custom domain, the email links now use that custom domain.
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    I tested this on a new gallery (works fine), but now that I've uploaded hundreds more photos to it, I can't get the system to generate a new zip file. Does the old link have to expire before a new download request can be made? I need to send an updated link to a friend...it's a gallery of recovered images off of a corrupted SDHC card.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    I tested this on a new gallery (works fine), but now that I've uploaded hundreds more photos to it, I can't get the system to generate a new zip file. Does the old link have to expire before a new download request can be made? I need to send an updated link to a friend...it's a gallery of recovered images off of a corrupted SDHC card.
    I believe you have to either wait for the former link to expire or contact support and have them clear the old link before it will generate a new one.

It's too bad they don't at least check to see if the number of images in the gallery have changed when you request a new ZIP.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2010
    The new feature of being able to download galleries is great and is saving me tons of time. I put up a gallery of images; send the link to my company's PR firm. They browse the gallery and tell me what pictures they would like to use. I then collect the selected images into a collection gallery; select download gallery and send the PR firm the link from the email.

Before I would be at the office having to do owner save on each image, put them in a zip file, put it up on our ftp site, send them the link, remember to take the zip file down. Now all done by SmugMug. clap.gif

Today to transmit to them 11 images took 15 minutes instead of the previous hour process.

Still would like to have the size of the zip file included... (http://uservoice.com/a/m81D2). I get around it by starting the download and writing down the size displayed.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    Yes, it either has to expire or we can expire it for you. Simply write our Support Heroes and we'll be happy to help!
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    It's too bad they don't at least check to see if the number of images in the gallery have changed when you request a new ZIP.

Personally, I'm just thrilled to have a feature that so many have asked for be available and be used :)

If people need a new link and a new zip created, they just need to write us and we'll take care of expiring the old link in a jiffy.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    Personally, I'm just thrilled to have a feature that so many have asked for be available and be used :)

If people need a new link and a new zip created, they just need to write us and we'll take care of expiring the old link in a jiffy.
    I guess we have a difference in philosophy. I think when a feature is designed and implemented it should be designed to "just work" and not need help from support in order to carry out a very common activity. This lack of being able to get an updated ZIP without help from support is a design miss.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    I guess we have a difference in philosophy. I think when a feature is designed and implemented it should be designed to "just work" and not need help from support in order to carry out a very common activity. This lack of being able to get an updated ZIP without help from support is a design miss.
    It does just work :D
    We release early and release often, John. We'd rather get a feature out that works perfectly for the far-and-away majority of times that people need to click that download button (like 99+++ %?) Waiting for a sorcerer to develop a user-clickable 'reset my download' part of the feature would have delayed this. It's not a design miss at all. Our customers are writing us in droves with how much they love this feature, so I'm glad we did this.

If our Support Heroes need to reset a few (I don't think we've done it but a couple times in many, many, may thousands of downloads) I'm okay with that :)

In the meantime, I've asked about a user (owner)-resettable option for the zip.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    It does just work :D
    We release early and release often, John. We'd rather get a feature out that works perfectly for the far-and-away majority of times that people need to click that download button (like 99+++ %?) Waiting for a sorcerer to develop a user-clickable 'reset my download' part of the feature would have delayed this. It's not a design miss at all. Our customers are writing us in droves with how much they love this feature, so I'm glad we did this.

If our Support Heroes need to reset a few (I don't think we've done it but a couple times in many, many, may thousands of downloads) I'm okay with that :)

In the meantime, I've asked about a user (owner)-resettable option for the zip.
    No, it doesn't "just work". "Just work" would mean that a common usage scenario doesn't need to contact the help desk to get something to work. "Just work" means that when you ask to generate a ZIP and there already is a previous ZIP, the code does the right thing and makes a new ZIP if needed.

It could just make a new ZIP when needed. It could check to see if a new ZIP is actually needed. Either way, the user gets what they wanted without involving support. It's not like someone is leaning on the make a ZIP button and you have to protect against the same ZIP being made over and over again. No need to press reset, no need to contact the help desk. It just works.

I guess I have a different bar for how good something should be before it's released.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Why is it not just adding another zip with a new file name? Suppose you want
    to send two people each a zip of their photos from the same gallery?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    Allen wrote: »
    Why is it not just adding another zip with a new file name? Suppose you want
    to send two people each a zip of their photos from the same gallery?

You can send the same zip link to any number of people you like. Does that help?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    You can send the same zip link to any number of people you like. Does that help?
    headscratch.gif Two people want a different set of photos, not all of them. Suppose it is a
    multiple family outing and each family only wants photos of their family.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2010
    No, it doesn't "just work". "Just work" would mean that a common usage scenario doesn't need to contact the help desk to get something to work. "Just work" means that when you ask to generate a ZIP and there already is a previous ZIP, the code does the right thing and makes a new ZIP if needed.

It could just make a new ZIP when needed. It could check to see if a new ZIP is actually needed. Either way, the user gets what they wanted without involving support. It's not like someone is leaning on the make a ZIP button and you have to protect against the same ZIP being made over and over again. No need to press reset, no need to contact the help desk. It just works.

I guess I have a different bar for how good something should be before it's released.

I'm sorry you're upset about this, and sorry you feel that way :( Fact is, we're getting raves for it. And it's being used, a lot. I do thank you for your feedback, John.

We're going to continue to respond to customer requests and bring new features out.