Options

LIGHT Discussion: Keeping Your Eyes Fresh

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited October 19, 2010 in Landscapes
[imgr]http://www.schmootography.com/Travel/Lake-Tahoe/tahoe-1c/602884074_KsC7i-M-1.jpg[/imgr]
Keeping Your Eyes Fresh

Photo by schmoo

I have a camera. You have a camera. We all have cameras. While it's arguably man's greatest gift to have the means to save life's greatest moments, it's tough to stand out in the ever-growing crowd.

With landscapes, you can't (shouldn't) move rocks or oceans to get the composition you need. It's easy to take a photo of a National Park: Stand at midday, point, click, and done. But everyone does that and you probably don't want to, too.

How did you successfully turn that classic scene on its head? Does your personality go into your work when shooting a subject that doesn't talk, smile, or move?

On the flip side, what are some of the more memorable landscape shots of others that you remember? What makes them different and unique?

< Go back to the Light

Comments

• Options
    starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Before when I Started Shooting I used to have this feeling of point and Shoot any Scene that looks interesting…
    So basically I was doing what normal ppl would do, but I Hate that now, it doesn’t make me or what i do special
    So am heading a different approach in my shots.
    And your Question
    schmoo wrote: »
    How did you successfully turn that classic scene on its head? Does your personality go into your work when shooting a subject that doesn't talk, smile, or move?

I ask it to myself every time,….and so another Question came….can I distort Nature!! To create my masterpieces???
    I don’t know if its ok or not to Do so, am just a beginner and there is a long way for me….

but i think thats why ppl always recommend to look for light, coz thats what makes different..

On the flip side, what are some of the more memorable landscape shots of others that you remember? What makes them different and unique?
    Do I have Some memorable? Yub I have many :3
    One of the great Shooters; Michael Kenna, I just recently get to know his work.
    One of his Shots:
    d08ab1.jpg
    I like it coz its Quiet, feels loneliness, I like it coz it makes me think more….
    I also wonder how did he do that!!
    Well I have my guessing here and there, but sure his work is Unique :3
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Hey starcluster, that's a great photo you posted! I haven't heard of Michael Kenna before but I will need to check him out now. thumb.gif

When first in a majestic, complicated scene I think all of us take the typical "tourist" snapshot from eye-level when we get there. It's a nice way to warm up, if nothing else. Sooo many times I've thought to myself even while I am hitting the shutter "Why am I taking this shot?" lol3.gif

Personally, I find getting high and low, exploring the landscape for different vantage points, and typically moving away from where most people are standing leads to better results. I can't think in the noise, and there's a lot of it even out there in the wild.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    "Why am I taking this shot?"
    YA!! Exactly am also the same. : D

in fact, every time i Start Shooting a scene, i always end up choosing the last results xD

So first i shoot something normal, but am not satisfied so i move here and there, exam the scene many times.

and about the noise; i also like it when there is less ppl around, it makes me have more space....
    and what i hated the most is when someone pops up and says "look at That!!! SEE THERE, you should shoot it" Or "try taking the shot like this"
    i know am a beginner, but what i see in my point of view is different and ppl think that they are helping me, but seriously!!!!! for me it the Opposite
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 22, 2010
    A few quick things off the top of my head that Marc taught us at his workshops

Shoot long exposures at night to capture the movement of clouds as seen here

Shoot at night with supplemental illumination

Shoot IR instead of color

Shot in the rain instead of sunshine

Bits are cheap - shoot a lot as your first frame may not capture what you are wanting to get, like in this shot

Carry a camera with you at all times, you never know what my capture your eye, or when it might pop up.. I found this one morning on my back porch on my way to work

Pray for fog or snow, they can help a lot.

Be prepared to come back again, in another season if you can too.

Keeping your eye fresh is not easy, but pictures are everywhere if we just have the eyes to see them. Not only out west, but in the alleys and backroads of our own neighborhoods as well. I keep learning this lesson over and over again.

I will be interested to see others suggestions as well. Good thread, Stephanie.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    All of the above, but most of all, slow down and savor the moments. You can't see an image when you rush.

I'm on Prince Edward Island right now. Haven't been here in over ten years so it's fun to note the changes. Went to Cavendish beach early this morning to catch the sunrise over the red cliffs and nearly got blown away. The wind is fierce. But, although the shots I took thus a.m.may sufferr from camera shake (as in clutching the tripod so it wouldn't topple over) I ended up with some good ideas for tomorrow morning if it doesn't rain as predicted.

Walk with your dog. You can't rush when every tree, leaf and blade of grass needs to be sniffed and inspected. Better yet, sit down and look at things from his perspective. My only problem with the latter is arthritis; getting back up is a challenge (and so embarrassing when others are around).

Yep, slow down and smell, er photograph, the roses!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    KevinhooaKevinhooa Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    It is definitely tough to go on a vacation or a trip and not want to visit some interesting stuff during that harsh midday lighting. Sometimes that time of the day might be your only chance to photograph something you've been wanting to see for years. I usually bracket those kind of shots and do what I can in PS. Sometimes an ordinary looking shot can really come to life with a little bit of post process work.

I'm also not a fan of huge crowds or random people in photograhs unless it fits the subject matter. looking for weird angles, locations, and hidden jems in areas helps get the people out of the shots, and can usually result in some neat lighting depending on the location.

I always find it interesting to include the actual name of whats photographed in a picture. I use Flickr a lot and a large amount of the point and shoot shots never have any real info on the bridge, building, park, ect... and I think that can really take away from the shot. A neat shot of old factory is can be somewhat interesting in iteslf, but for example learning about how that same building is the location where the cables for the Golden Gate Bridge were made can really give the shot an extra boost of intrest.

Slowing down really plays a huge part in getting some neat shots. I usually call up some friends before going to check something out which usually ends up working out for me that I'm not alone, and they get to see something neat they didn't know about. I'm usually the only one photographing stuff and when they stop and talk or whatever it gives me time to really look around and see stuff I might not have on my own. Sitting down every now and then can and has let me see something I normally wouldn't have when breezing through on my way to something else.

Stoping and talking to people has been a great help in my photography over the years. I've said "Hello" or made small talk with some people about the location I'm visiting at the time only to learn they know every nook and cranie of the place and sometimes these folks are more than happy to share info. Having a friendly attitude has helped me learn some neat hidden spots, opened fences, gates, and even helped make some friends in the long run.

Brainstorming what things would look like with different light can also really spice up an ordinary scene. Sparklers, fireworks, road flares, flashes, led lights, ect... can really let things get creative in what would have been an ordinary scene during the day. For example the shot below of an ordinary field + flourescent light tube + ittle bit of energy + and a camera =
    2185767762_2b23d51870.jpg
    Swirl W/ X by Owls Flight Photography, on Flickr

And I'm sure my techniques and methods will evolve throgh the years.

So here's to finding different ways to make an everyday scene something extraordinary.
    Kevin H. (Owls Flight)

There seems to be less and less garden in this state.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2010
    Kevinhooa wrote: »
    Slowing down really plays a huge part in getting some neat shots.

yub!
    and its even produced better results, and helps me take my time in imagining things, and also visiting one place many times in deferent light situation can really gives a deferent feeling to the place..
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2010
    Kevinhooa wrote: »
    For example the shot below of an ordinary field + flourescent light tube + ittle bit of energy + and a camera =
    2185767762_2b23d51870.jpg

I'm just a beginner with painting with light, but I love it. That shot is awesomely cool.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2010
    It's looks like an island in the sky. Very cool image! Great advice "How did you successfully turn that classic scene on its head? Does your personality go into your work when shooting a subject that doesn't talk, smile, or move?"
    I find if I just settle down take a few breaths something will catch my eye.
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron