Options

What's your story?

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited September 24, 2010 in Street and Documentary
973222144_Tw9DS-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Ambiguous and interesting. Good job! clap.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    MarkR wrote: »
    Ambiguous and interesting. Good job! clap.gif

iloveyou.gif
    I agree ambiguous and very interesting. I want to know more. Is she looking for work, is she posting a want ad. She looks a little unkempt to me. I also like that you can't see her face nor really guess her age.

This is fantastic.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    Bravo- I love these kind of shots!
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2010
    Thanks folks. I'm glad she's perked your interest. Hehehe...
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    Very cool shot, Patti. I love the silhouette on the lady, it shrouds her in mystery. The way the light is reflecting off the postings on the wall just adds so much more to it. The title, "what's your story" couldn't be more appropriate. Normally this kind of shot isn't my cup o' tea, but you really captured me with it. And the fact that it's in black and white just adds so much to it.
  • Options
    Thanks. I came up with the title because friends who looked at it each came up with a different impression of who she was and what she was doing. I thought it would be interesting what others came up with. I'll keep mum about what was actually going on.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    Ooooh. Love the textures on the left and the silhouette. The hair replacing the face is ultra poignant.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    another one to capture my interest thumb.gif

Lot's one can read into here :D
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    Patti wrote: »
    I thought it would be interesting what others came up with.

Nice shot! What I immediately thought of is a patient at a psychiatric hospital putting up a drawing she'd done on the wall... Not sure why...
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I haven't a clue what she is doing. Putting some sort of metallic covering on the door piece by piece? Posting a notice about a lost or found animal? Taking something off of the door. Creating a piece of art?

I love this photo. The rim light and the hair make the silhouette work especially well.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    My honest SWAG is that she's putting something up on a church bulletin board. I can't even venture a guess as to what she's putting up.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    ...I'll keep mum about what was actually going on.

as it should be!

wonderful capture Patti clap.gif

• Options
    I'm having a lot of fun reading your takes on the context of the photo. Everything from church bulletin board to psych patient - what a range. THanks for taking time to comment. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll continue to bite my tongue but just so you know, it has holes in it now.rolleyes1.gif

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    Hi Patti: Here is my take for what it is worth - remember I am a DOM. She was able to get away from her room in a rehab center and is posting a note on the visitors greeting board of the institution. The note is to tell all who read it that the SOB actor did this to her- she is warning all other women that they could be taken in by his looks and swager. There is nothing like a women scorned. That budding actor's future is in doubt. (What was done? Booze and drugs.)
    EDD
  • Options
    Flowerman wrote: »
    Hi Patti: Here is my take for what it is worth - remember I am a DOM. She was able to get away from her room in a rehab center and is posting a note on the visitors greeting board of the institution. The note is to tell all who read it that the SOB actor did this to her- she is warning all other women that they could be taken in by his looks and swager. There is nothing like a women scorned. That budding actor's future is in doubt. (What was done? Booze and drugs.)
    EDD

rolleyes1.gif and she's carrying his baby.

Anxiously awaiting the big reveal.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Great Liz - Let's keep it going - Patti may have to rethink her original thought - which she has not yet revealed."Could it be "L" no not him - oh well."

ED
  • Options
    Laughing.gif. You're getting warm...

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Extraordinary shot.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2010
    Patti: I'm back. Do I see an outline of a Male in a card that is posted? IMO you did a great job of showing just enough to set a person thinking.
    Could you lighten it up a bit by having a little more light come in from the left?
    I am waiting for your take on the shot.
    EDD
  • Options
    BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Very nice work Patti. Great conversion.
    She is at a women's shelter, gathering information off the b board.
    Brewster
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    I think it's a very innocuous situation, like a grade school teacher posting a drawing or something like that.

Her hair makes her look frazzled.. which would lead me to believe she is an overworked teacher loaded up with Valium and/or Jagermeister. I also sense a weapon of some kind- probably throwing stars, Glock or stilletto.

My immediate response to this situation is to turn a light on.. and try and remember her face so when CNN asked if I saw her and if she looked like the type to commit workplace violence- I can honestly comment.

:grim

• Options
    edited September 21, 2010
    misterb wrote: »
    i think it's a very innocuous situation, like a grade school teacher posting a drawing or something like that.

Her hair makes her look frazzled.. Which would lead me to believe she is an overworked teacher loaded up with valium and/or jagermeister. I also sense a weapon of some kind- probably throwing stars, glock or stilletto.

My immediate response to this situation is to turn a light on.. And try and remember her face so when cnn asked if i saw her and if she looked like the type to commit workplace violence- i can honestly comment.

:grim

roflao!!

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2010
    patti wrote: »
    roflao!!

who is she?!!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Your wish is my command Liz!

She is a young artsy gal (thus the mussed up hair) who was posting a flyer about an Edinburgh Fringe Fest performance. The wall was covered with flyers for various plays, concerts and other performances. It was in a close off the Royal Mile. You can see the light from the street behind her. I was walking up the close towards the Mile when I saw her and I grabbed the shot. I had to burn the street background. It was pretty blown. She looked very interesting. Wish I'd been able to get more shots but it was a one off.

Thanks for great entertainment from the various scenarios raised. I've had a good chuckle. The reality was not nearly as interesting as the imaginings here.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    Your wish is my command Liz!

She is a young artsy gal (thus the mussed up hair) who was posting a flyer about an Edinburgh Fringe Fest performance. The wall was covered with flyers for various plays, concerts and other performances. It was in a close off the Royal Mile. You can see the light from the street behind her. I was walking up the close towards the Mile when I saw her and I grabbed the shot. I had to burn the street background. It was pretty blown. She looked very interesting. Wish I'd been able to get more shots but it was a one off.

Thanks for great entertainment from the various scenarios raised. I've had a good chuckle. The reality was not nearly as interesting as the imaginings here.

It never is Patti and I'm sure you will be flayed for giving away the answer. But I"m so glad you did.

Reading your explanation my thought was "oh, but of course she was" it's so obvious now, lol.

As to your handling of the image--beautiful, what a wonderful job with the processing and the burning. That is some serious light control you have.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Patti: Great work - Wow did I miss the mark. It was great fun. Do it again in the near future.
    EDD