Options

Can't grant permission to facebook app

PerryPicsPerryPics Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 29, 2010 in Bug Reporting
I can't seem to get the 'share with facebook' feature to work. I get this far:
1004679481_LvF3m-L.jpg

... and then I cannot grant permission to the app to post to my wall. Happens with both firefox 3.6.8 and internet explorer 8. Clicking on the 'allow' button seems to have no effect. Nothing gets posted to my facebook wall. I checked the "application settings" for the smugmug app from within facebook, but there isn't much there to try changing.

Have other had a similar issue? What am I doing wrong?

FWIW, the 'like' button for FB works fine for me.

Thanks!

Perry
perrypics.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    PerryPics wrote: »
    I can't seem to get the 'share with facebook' feature to work. I get this far:
    1004679481_LvF3m-L.jpg

... and then I cannot grant permission to the app to post to my wall. Happens with both firefox 3.6.8 and internet explorer 8. Clicking on the 'allow' button seems to have no effect. Nothing gets posted to my facebook wall. I checked the "application settings" for the smugmug app from within facebook, but there isn't much there to try changing.

Have other had a similar issue? What am I doing wrong?

FWIW, the 'like' button for FB works fine for me.

Thanks!

Perry
    perrypics.smugmug.com

I've been having the same problem. I can post to Twitter no problem but Facebook has never worked. I have been in touch with the help people at smugmug with no luck so far. If you find a fix please let me know.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 13, 2010
    Have you guys tried turning off AdBlock Pro? I can see it active in your screen shot. You may need to whitelist SmugMug and your custom domain in ABP. Also check your Internet Security applications to make sure you are not blocking 3rd party cookies.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Titus213Titus213 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    Yahoo! it works! Thank you all for the quick fix.
    Dave
    Perspiring Photographer
    Norwood Photos
  • Options
    Hey Doc,

Thanks for your reply.

Alas, no luck. I already have ABP disabled for those domains (screen cap shows icon in green, confirming this point). I have Firefox set to accept 3rd party cookies too. I see similar behavior using internet explorer. Using Chrome I get a '502 Bad Gateway' error. I wish I knew what Titus213 did to get things working.

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks -

Perry
  • Options
    Doc -
    ... and... I suspect the problem lies in having the window focus incorrectly set. It is as though I cannot click on the 'Allow' button. Oddly, I can click the "Share on Facebook" button, pictured in the screen cap, and this seems to redraw the window. I suspect the "Request For Permission" window has not been 'brought to the front,' even though it appears so visually.

Hope that helps -

Perry
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2010
    Bump...
    Any word on this issue?

:confused

Perry
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2010
    Perry, sorry. I did not see your post. I am not seeing the same behavior. I just tested using a new account and was able to allow Facebook using Firefox. What other internet security apps do you have running?
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2010
    Just Microsoft Security Essentials. I have realtime monitoring turned-off.

But it looks like it no longer matters.

I tried other options available through the smugmug share button. Email worked. "Get a link" worked. When I then went to "Be Social" facebook worked too. It now works with both firefox and IE. Huh. Don't know what changed, but all is well.

Thanks!

Perry

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    I'm having the same issue - went to ad block and allowed facebook - still no joy. any ideas?

When using IE 6 - I get a 502 bad gateway error right away after hitting "Be Social" - no opportunity to select a network at all.
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2010
    Perry, we made no changes recently that I am aware of on this end. So whatever changed was on your end as far as I can tell. I am glad that it is working for you.

Pward, can you try a more up to date browser than IE6? You are going to find that some features will not work in IE6. Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and any of the later versions of IE work.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    docwalker wrote: »
    Perry, we made no changes recently that I am aware of on this end. So whatever changed was on your end as far as I can tell. I am glad that it is working for you.

Pward, can you try a more up to date browser than IE6? You are going to find that some features will not work in IE6. Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and any of the later versions of IE work.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I use Firefox almost exclusively and am in the latest release of it - and it will not work either. I was just indicating that I also tried IE - my apologies
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    pward76 wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I use Firefox almost exclusively and am in the latest release of it - and it will not work either. I was just indicating that I also tried IE - my apologies

Facebook is down today http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/23/facebook-down/ :)
  • Options
    Good to know, but why wasn't this posted on the status updates????

I sent a message to SmugHelp because I thought my "Like" button showing up late was a problem on my end.

A simple note on the Status updates would have helped me avoid wasting my time and that of the Smug Heroes.

I praise SmugMug when things are going well, I have been growing quite concerned with the minor problems lately.

Sincerely,
    --Frustrated SmugMug Customer!!!
    I'm sorry we frustrated you! Didn't think it necessary since the interenet is full of "facebook is down!" posts -but I'll do that now :)

http://twitter.com/SmugMugStatus/status/25342468065
  • Options
    Not everyone follows facebook and twitter believe it or not.
    I also don't spend my days combing the internet when I have a site issue.

The following is the link I have for status updates.
    http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/

I was not even aware of the twitter status updates.

It would be nice if SmugMug information was better consolidated.

I am beginning to feel alienated by SmugMug because I am not part of every social site on the internet.

What a shame!

We've been asked to put stuff everywhere :) Facebook is back up and next time this happens I hope I can update the blog quickly enough so you see it!
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2010
    Andy wrote: »

I've tried this multiple times when I know facebook is up. It still will not work. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2010
    pward76 wrote: »
    I've tried this multiple times when I know facebook is up. It still will not work. ne_nau.gif

Have you got cookies fully enabled in your browser? 3rd party cookies must be enabled, too. Please write our Support Heroes if the problem persists.
  • Options
    ChristianVeeChristianVee Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2010
    Good to know that there are others having the identical issue. Its still not resolved here (except by switching to Safari temporarily to get authorized), see my detailed posts in this thread...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1470984&postcount=35