Options

S95 arrived

gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
edited February 23, 2011 in Cameras
Mr. UPS dropped my S95 off a bit too late, so by the time the battery charged it was dark outside. Nothing special here, but below are a few test shots showing somewhat macro at f/2.0 and f/8.0

f/2.0

1001543225_YjBgd-M.jpg

f/8.0

1001543991_eS6j6-M.jpg

Overall, I love the camera so far. Manual mode, along with RAW and tons of built-in "toys" (HDR, simulated tilt-shift, vintage mode, etc) make it a pretty fun little camera.

My only complaint (and not the camera's fault) is that the lowest flash power setting isn't enough to trigger my LumoPro LP120's in optical slave mode...so OCF is a bit tricky with it. I have to set the built-in flash to Medium to get it to trigger, which then makes for too much direct lighting. I'll have to get some type of filter on it to block all but IR I suppose.
Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    LowePro 120"s......please link.........I have used LowePro bags and packs for a very long time......never knew they got into flash unitsne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
  • Options
    Art Scott wrote: »
    LowePro 120"s......please link.........I have used LowePro bags and packs for a very long time......never knew they got into flash unitsne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gif

Oops...I typed too fast...I meant LumoPro LP120. Fixing now... :)
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Ooo.... more please. I'm very interested in this little gem, so please keep posting your thoughts as you get to know it! That macro shot certainly offers some nice bokeh - I'd have assumed that was a dSLR shot if I didn't know it was from a pns....
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    divamum wrote: »
    Ooo.... more please. I'm very interested in this little gem, so please keep posting your thoughts as you get to know it! That macro shot certainly offers some nice bokeh - I'd have assumed that was a dSLR shot if I didn't know it was from a pns....

I like the sound of the HDR mode.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    Lovin the S90 so I can only imagine the S95 to be even cooler. Enjoy the new pocket rocket!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    gecko0 wrote: »
    Oops...I typed too fast...I meant LumoPro LP120. Fixing now... :)

Ahhhh I see how that could happen............ :-}}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options

Will do! I'm hoping to spend some time this weekend taking various types of shots and will share them. The pics above were only processed in DPP (minor crop, histogram tweak, etc).
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    The S95 is a wonderful camera. I've not seen such clean ISO800 images in
    a small compact like this before. I love using the fake miniature effect for
    selective focus. Here are some random snapshots from last week:

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    a few more...definitely in the "snapshot" category. This is a good example of how well the hybrid IS seems to work, as these were handheld at 1/13s and 1/25s, ISO200. Only DPP used for processing and on a nasty laptop screen. Hoping to get some real pics yet this wknd.

1003172486_wtovH-L.jpg

1003173512_2s2xa-L.jpg
  • Options
    Ok, officially WANT. Seriously - this camera may even make me delay a couple of lens purchases I have planned in the medium term.
  • Options
    Ok, officially WANT. Seriously - this camera may even make me delay a couple of lens purchases I have planned for purchase in the medium term.

I'm liking it more and more, but don't take my word for it. :D If you haven't, visit Best Buy or similar and play around with it (unless you've already used the S90, then it probably doesn't matter as much).

Any special requests for example pics? I can try to add that to my list. I'll probably get some more food shots tonight, as I'll be at a dinner party. It's been raining out today, so that's limiting my fun outside.
  • Options
    Ok, officially WANT. Seriously - this camera may even make me delay a couple of lens purchases I have planned in the medium term.

I am thinking to part with my 24mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 because the S95 is
    all I need when I want a lightweight kit for taking shots on the go. btw.
    the S95 has improved in serveral aspects over the S90. The rear dial is much
    better and you cant accidentaly change the camera settings anymore. The
    cam now has a mate finish that is much more comfortable to hold than
    the glossy S90. It does not slip anymore :)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2010
    I'm liking it more and more, but don't take my word for it. :D If you haven't, visit Best Buy or similar and play around with it (unless you've already used the S90, then it probably doesn't matter as much).

Any special requests for example pics? I can try to add that to my list. I'll probably get some more food shots tonight, as I'll be at a dinner party. It's been raining out today, so that's limiting my fun outside.

I would love to see some pics using the automatic hdr mode - perhaps when the sun shines again.
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2010
    I started a gallery for the test shots I've taken. The low light dinner photos were VERY low light. I tried to edit them as I would do any other photos, so they are not SOOC. This should give you an idea of what low light, ISO800, handheld, and a little PP can do. The lake photos are SOOC and show the "miniature effect", HDR, "beach" mode, and a standard AE mode to compare them to. The only thing I messed up was forgetting to set the ISO back down on the AE shot...it's at 800...but should be ok for comparing to the HDR shot.

Canon PowerShot S95 test photos gallery

...and a quick test video. Disclaimer is I know pretty much nothing about video editing, so this is barebones stuff. I'll have to double-check, but I think the zoom during video is digital and not optical, so it pixelates a bit when I zoom in.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/14913438?byline=0&portrait=0&quot; width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href=" S95 HD Video Test - Low Light (No Audio)</a></p>
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    The shots and video look very nice. thumb.gif I've been thinking about the S90 / S95 for my wife and also for me to carry on the motorcycle instead of my Nikon D90 and it looks like it would a top choice. Also, it's 11:15 PM and you've made me hungry for something besides junk food! :cry

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2010

I really like to thank you for sharing your experiences and enthusiasm.

However, there is nothing about the shots - and I realise these are spontaneous first efforts - that would persuade me to trade my dslr or even my G9. Looks like I would struggle with depth of field in particular, and then focus. The HDR pops and is the future imo. The low light performance is impressive.

But I am not being fair. I should be comparing apples with apples. It is a lot better than my mobile phone and equally portable and convenient.

We should have dinner someday - looks good!
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    These images are pretty impressive for a point & shoot. I'd planned on purchasing an advanced compact & saw this about a week and half ago. Thanks for the images & video gecko0.
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    I really like to thank you for sharing your experiences and enthusiasm.

However, there is nothing about the shots - and I realise these are spontaneous first efforts - that would persuade me to trade my dslr or even my G9. Looks like I would struggle with depth of field in particular, and then focus. The HDR pops and is the future imo. The low light performance is impressive.

But I am not being fair. I should be comparing apples with apples. It is a lot better than my mobile phone and equally portable and convenient.

I can't imagine anybody would replace their dSLR for a pns, even a good one - as you say, apples and oranges.

As for the G9.... the S series is way smaller, which is the attraction for me, and I think Canon has finally released *exactly* what I want in a pns. It has the kind of "real photography" controls I crave now, but can still fit into my handbag or a pocket.

Thanks again for the report and shots - this is really an impressive little beast. I can't WAIT to get my hands on one of these and finally retire the pns I have now, a camera which I have never liked!
  • Options
    I'd be interested in knowing how the manual focus was.
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2010
    I'd be interested in knowing how the manual focus was.

The MF is "ok"...you can adjust it by using the settings ring around the lens. It is far from perfect, as it's a bit difficult to tell if you're getting things perfectly in focus by looking at the LCD screen. A smaller zoomed-in zone opens at the center of the screen to assist with focus, but depending on the lighting, etc, it's not much help. Still better than no MF, of course.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,205 moderator
    edited November 9, 2010
    S95 looks like a winner. We're looking for a little cam for my wife to use and is pocketable. RAW was a main consideration (for me) and there aren't too many compact P&S's out there with RAW. Honestly, I'd like to get a G12, but portability is the key here, and complicated looking cameras scare her.

Question for those of you with the S90 or 95 - is the rear control dial as touchy as I read in reviews? Or can you quickly get used to handling it without messing up the settings accidently? Any of you have the metal Richard Franiec Custom Grip? Thanks.

Am I going to need to change my username to David_S95?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Question for those of you with the S90 or 95 - is the rear control dial as touchy as I read in reviews? Or can you quickly get used to handling it without messing up the settings accidently? Any of you have the metal Richard Franiec Custom Grip? Thanks.

The back wheel is improved in the S95 and does not turn by accident any more.
    Like you I bought the S95 because it had RAW ... I have yet to shoot my
    first frame in RAW with it. It is such a joy to just snap pics in JPEG and not
    have to fiddle around with the images later much because the Camera
    takes care of distorion correction (which is dramatic in RAW files imo)
    and CA before saving the image to disk. I only give the JPEGs a slight
    boost in Saturation, contrast.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    The back wheel is improved in the S95 and does not turn by accident any more.

Great to know. Thanks!
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    EmmettEmmett Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    I've been using my S90 for about 3 months now. I was a bit worried about the rear dial moving and altering the settings but this has turned out not to be a problem at all. However, it feels cheap and nasty when you use it and the improvement on the S95 would be worth having. It's worth considering that you can decide what each dial will control. I have the front dial set to Exposure Compensation and the rear dial set to aperture. So if the rear dial does move it's not a major problem in Auto.

I love the handling of this camera. Once it's set up how you want it it's easy to alter the settings to suit. I have it set to C mode and auto ISO. with -2/3 exp comp. This is perfect for me and it's quick to use, which is the point of having a camera in your pocket. With it in C mode every time you switch the camera on or it times out and you wake it up it reverts to your base settings. I can then alter the exp comp and aperture with the dials and a quick prod of the function button in the centre of the rear wheel gives me access to alter the ISO.

The major problem with this camera is how slippery it feels in your hand. I always have the strap around my wrist as it doesn't feel secure in your hand. If the finish of the S95 is more grippy then this will be a good improvement.

The S90 is still around and if you can get one for a bargain price I'd go for it. However, all of the upgrades to the S95 seem to be worth having and they all add up to making it the perfect pocket camera.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    Emmett wrote: »
    The major problem with this camera is how slippery it feels in your hand. I always have the strap around my wrist as it doesn't feel secure in your hand. If the finish of the S95 is more grippy then this will be a good improvement.

It isn't. That's why this accessory exists.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2010
    David_S85 wrote: »
    S95 looks like a winner. We're looking for a little cam for my wife to use and is pocketable. RAW was a main consideration (for me) and there aren't too many compact P&S's out there with RAW. Honestly, I'd like to get a G12, but portability is the key here, and complicated looking cameras scare her.

I really like my S95. It's a nice little pocket camera & I have not experienced any issues with the rear control. I can't comment on the grip....
    Travis M. Chance
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2010
    Just picked up the s95 for my trip to China later in the year. I will use my Pentax K10D as my main camera of course and use the S95 to pick up some quick 720p HD clips and also use it as a "rainy day" camera. The auto white balance is awful as expected from a Canon but if you manually white balance, the image quality is great!
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    doingcooldoingcool Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2010
    Here is an HDR shot from the s95 with the Saturation boosted a bit in PS.

1091814504_MXDMz-L.jpg
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |