edited September 14, 2005 in Landscapes
...you have to be very very quiet in the new york public library

click on pics for exif

34214146-L.jpg

34214140-L.jpg

34214138-L.jpg

34214142-L.jpg

34214144-L.jpg

these last two i shot last year, but they show what's doing in bryant park, just behind the library.

34214131-L.jpg

34214135-L.jpg

click here to see these photos mapped

enjoy (quiet) photography,

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nice to see pictures of the inside
    Wow, they haven't changed it much in 45 years have they? Oh, that's right, you're too young to know rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

With all the "no cameras" stuff going on these days I'm surprised you were able to take these.

You've captured the lighting just right, too -- or how my memory remembers it...

I remember you couldn't get the books yourself. I had to fill out a piece of paper and someone would get the book and bring it to me (or call my number for me to come up and get it).

How does it work these days?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Very nice series, Andy and good idea for a photo excursion. I particularly like the selective focus and beautiful bokah in the lamp shot and bookshelf shot. Great use of that 85mm f1.2. Skirt, boots, and book (Poisonwood Bible) is a nice comeon.

#3 and #5 seem to have an issue with straightness. Maybe it isn't possible to make them look 100% straight because of lens distortion or where you shot from?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    wow, I love the 4th and 5th, excellent DOF and composition (not to mention the colors and sharpness mwink.gif)
    nice shots mate!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    G KG K Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Cool Stuff Andy
    Hey Andy

This is really cool stuff. I was there a year or so ago and got there just a little late (it was closed) but it is cool to be able to get a glimpse inside. I remember the lions and the flower trees outside - dogwood and daffodils?

really like the lamp shot btw.

~gk
  • Options
    PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nice Andy . . .

Really like the looks of the interior of the library. Wish we had such buildings around here. Our new library is all steel and glass. Very little wood to warm the place.

Like the way you captured the images as well. Looks quiet and peaceful.

Peter
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    andy wrote:

Guess that rules out the use of the Canon 20D...

Very nice set, Andy. How many clunkers did you shoot?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Sooooo... the bookshelf shot. Was it:

a) Selective focus point
    b) Manual focus
    c) Focus & recompose naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Sooooo... the bookshelf shot. Was it:

a) Selective focus point
    b) Manual focus
    c) Focus & recompose naughty.gif

d) my version of dpreview's "ruler test"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    I like the WB in #3 best.:D

ginger (Interesting in the first three shots, three diff versions of light)

Oh, nice set. Love libraries, especially THOSE libraries, the ones with wood.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    d) my version of dpreview's "ruler test"

Please expand on this, Andy, or at least provide a reference. I'd like to know how to do it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Please expand on this, Andy, or at least provide a reference. I'd like to know how to do it.

no, you don't lol3.gif i was making a joke about the measurebating that goes on on other internet photography fora... many folks have insisted on a ruler test to see if their new lens "backfocuses" or "frontfocuses." said test usually done handheld at slow shutter speed rolleyes1.gif and so results of course not conclusive..

the best way to test a lens imo? go out and shoot with it. record your focus points, or look at them in dpp which shows the focus points overlaid on the image.

cheers rutt!
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Excellent work Andy, as someone why has never been to New York, the first thing that came to my mind from the lion lion statue was the opening scene from Ghostbusters.. Gheesh I watch too many movies...

Ed
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    I really love shot number 5.

The photo just draws you in through the DOF leading from the right to the left over the counter top.

clap.gif
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    I love it!
    Andy,

Great set of pictures, something that really speaks to me - well, considering that I'm pracitacally a "professional student" at this point, I feel like the NY Public Library would feel just like home. Funny that in my 4 years in NYC I walked by the library so many times (on my way to Jamba Juice) but never actually made it inside...I'll definitely have to make an entrance when I get back for a visit in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing & inspiring,
    Kevin K.
  • Options
    Adrian van AmmersAdrian van Ammers Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    hehe, and what about ....
    andy wrote:

these last two i shot last year, but they show what's doing in bryant park, just behind the library.

click here to see these photos mapped

enjoy (quiet) photography,
    the sound of a camera mirror rolleyes1.gif Nice shots, Andy. Thanks for the visit at the libr.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    the sound of a camera mirror rolleyes1.gif Nice shots, Andy. Thanks for the visit at the libr.

wave.gif adrian :D actually, the 1Ds Mark II has a "quiet shutter" personal function that can be enabled - it's really quite good - and quiet!

nice to see you again, and thanks for the kind words.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Andy,

Lovely photos.

On a side note, I've been wondering why you post so few of your own pictures on this site. I seem to recall in the past that you would post your work on a fairly regular basis. Personally, I enjoy seeing the works of a pro with a chance to pick your brain about the technical aspects.

If I'm wrong, just let me know. Maybe just a gentle urging will do the trick?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Andy,

Lovely photos.

On a side note, I've been wondering why you post so few of your own pictures on this site. I seem to recall in the past that you would post your work on a fairly regular basis. Personally, I enjoy seeing the works of a pro with a chance to pick your brain about the technical aspects.

If I'm wrong, just let me know. Maybe just a gentle urging will do the trick?ne_nau.gif

wave.gif hiya mitchell :D

thanks so much for the very kind words. i must admit, this is the first time i've been told i've not posted enough pics lol3.gif

there's a lot of new stuff on my website, and i've put up a number of posts lately, maybe not as many as i usually do - thanks for the kick in the butt, i'll get shooting!
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Wow, they haven't changed it much in 45 years have they? Oh, that's right, you're too young to know rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

With all the "no cameras" stuff going on these days I'm surprised you were able to take these.

You've captured the lighting just right, too -- or how my memory remembers it...

I remember you couldn't get the books yourself. I had to fill out a piece of paper and someone would get the book and bring it to me (or call my number for me to come up and get it).

How does it work these days?

i'm so glad you stopped by, dee. they allow cameras, no flash though, and no tripod. there are actually lots of great places still in nyc where you can shoot. and yeah, the book delivery is the same way :D

cheers wave.gif
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2005
    KevinKal wrote:
    Andy,

Great set of pictures, something that really speaks to me - well, considering that I'm pracitacally a "professional student" at this point, I feel like the NY Public Library would feel just like home. Funny that in my 4 years in NYC I walked by the library so many times (on my way to Jamba Juice) but never actually made it inside...I'll definitely have to make an entrance when I get back for a visit in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing & inspiring,
    Kevin K.

thanks kevin, and everyone else who replied :D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    For the old stuff.. wow.. and for the new stuff.. Oh WoW! beautiful photos... I'd forgotton you were a photographer:cool :D