Options

DC Monuments at Night

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited August 17, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Last night we had a kind of an impromptu mini-d-grin meetup with myself, Eric (esc2476) and Curt (concord977). I am apparently still learning my camera, and in AF-A mode, it won't shutter release without thinking it's going to be properly exposed... so I was in Manual most of the night, and didn't quite hit all of them.

My favorites for the night:
989461106_kqg8W-L.jpg

989461232_Vado3-L.jpg

989461327_9vitT-L.jpg

989461391_b9A4d-L-1.jpg

989461438_Gjr9e-L.jpg

989452961_4PcTo-L.jpg

This was a TON of fun, and I hope to be able to get out there more often!:barb

Comments

• Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Howdy,

Really love them all, the first two being my favorites, great lighting
    and compositions, and really like the last two as well.

Very nicely done, I'd say you did have a great evening!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    I really like #2 and #5. A good night's work!
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    #1 & 2 ~ good comp and exposures thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    JadynHJadynH Banned Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    #5 is my favorite! Where is the light coming from?
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Great shots!

See, that's why I don't like living 70 miles away from DC! You can't spontaneously just say "Hey! I'm going into DC to do some photography!" :)

I've been wanting to do some night photography for a while, so maybe we can get a group together. :)
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Jake, wonderful captures.

It was wonderful to go out and shoot last night with you and Curt! I cannot wait to do it again and would be glad to welcome other DC area people or visitors.

I processed a couple of photos and put them on my hard drive to post at work (because I was running late) and promptly left the hard drive at home. So, it will have to wait until tonight.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Wow, thanks everybody for all the response! 1 and 2 are the WWII memorial on the mall, I really like the light that the fountain creates. 4 and 5 are part of the Vietnam Memorial, and the statues are very well lit from the front (flood lights instead of street lights)

I'm going to nit on #5 - although it's still my favorite. There's a "sunspot" from the floodlamp that looks like a thinly sliced orange on the third guy's butt, and I got just a little bit of another shooter's tripod in the far left of the frame... didn't notice that until I'd already posted it up here.

Neal - I think next time we're going to try to plan a little further out - we'll let you know! I know DC's smugmug user's group hasn't gotten off the ground yet, but I posted this one there.
    edited August 31, 2010
    Shooting DC sights at night is a passion. Meeting two new easy-going people to share it with makes it even better!

I go into the area often and am always open to meeting up with others.
    989301616_2sLpt-XL.jpg

989301811_ychKD-XL.jpg

989301529_ugZA4-XL.jpg

989304427_7CTCs-XL.jpg

989303296_ZKYVH-XL.jpg

989303555_6kroz-XL.jpg

989301106_MB2yq-XL.jpg

989304658_eHmkn-XL.jpg

989304128_z7h4Z-XL.jpg

989301977_fKMW4-XL.jpg
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    Curt, these are stunning. bowdown.gif

It was great to shoot with you and Jake - both a lot of fun and easy going. I am looking forward to the next time (hopefully in the next few weeks).

I am willing to shoot anywhere as long as it is in the metro area and reasonably safe. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    red_zone wrote: »
    Neal - I think next time we're going to try to plan a little further out - we'll let you know! I know DC's smugmug user's group hasn't gotten off the ground yet, but I posted this one there.

Come on out the Shenandoah Valley and I'll show you around. The Shenandoah Valley SMUG is s-l-o-w-l-y gaining speed.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    red_zone wrote: »
    DC Monuments at Night

989452961_4PcTo-S.jpg
    I presume the 'monument' in this shot is the celebration of the fast food industry just above the customer's belt, which he appears to be actively working to increase? :D
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    hahaha.... w.w. ... I just liked that shot! It was actually on my way back to the car, and I was convinced to buy a $2.00 (awful, dry, bland) pretzel to be able to take photos of the vendor... If you'd like to comment on the non- monumental aspects of this particular photo, it's also cross-listed under "ye olde street vendor shot" in the street & PJ forum (with no replies)... I'm glad you liked it enough to comment though! I'm no expert, but I can definitely tell the difference between my shots and Eric and Curt ('977)'s shots!
    edited August 17, 2011
    Holy thread revival, Batman!

There is a new monument opening up on August 26th - Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, and I'm planning on going out the following Wednesday (just works best for me) night at 8:30 or so to take some more photos.

There had been some interest expressed, but I may have deleted my pm's?

Anyway, I know there's more locals out there and it'd be fun to meet more good people!