Options

HorusBennu 1128TT Tripod/Monopod review

hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
edited August 23, 2010 in Accessories
Disclaimer: I thought a review of this little gem might be worthwhile to some of the members; that said, I have absolutely nothing to do with the manufacturer or any company that sells it, nor do I have anything to gain from them or others. I purchased it outright after researching various offerings, and have been using it for three months now.

While I have purchased several tripods and heads over the past 50 years, I finally felt the need for one that was almost a do-it-all, all-in-one package, yet small in storage and light in weight to make it a bit easier on this sexagenerian camera packhorse. I found the closest to those needs in the HorusBennu 1128TT Camera Tripod/Monopod which also came with a very nice ball head at a reasonable $180 delivered price.

Weighing in at a tad over three and a quarter pounds, head included, the 1128TT arrived in a perfectly fitted zippered carrying case with the ball head covered in a velvet-like drawstring bag. The tripod is rated to support 13 pounds (and it easily does), while the well-made head securely supports a tad under 9 pounds using various Arca-Swiss type plates; I had no problems with a 5dMKII plus 70-200L or 50-500 Bigma slipping or shaking in the field (or at home with a shoe-mounted flash and battery grip attached just to check the tripod and head out under an unusual load).

There were no directions with the tripod, and it took several minutes for me to figure out that the legs needed to be folded back on themselves almost 180°, then latched, and finally positioned as they should be. This method allows for a very compact, 16"-stowed profile, yet the center-column reversible, 4 section tripod stands at 58" when fully extended and with the silky-smooth-action ball head attached.

I used the unit for ten busy days at this year's "Sploshkosh" AirVenture (there was a lot of rain!), and never had a problem with it. The quarter-twist-type leg locks worked perfectly and securely every time.

The unique feature of this model is that one leg unscrews, the one with the neoprene "warmer" around it, and attaches to the removed center column, to make a very nice monopod. I used this feature several times; it takes less than a minute to go from tripod to monopod. Usually I carry both with me, but the weight savings was worth it and outweighed any inconvenience in transformation time.

I have heavier ruggedized tripods, and I have very robust tripods suitable for day to day heavy-duty use in a studio. But this little gadget is very hardy as a small carry-around, very light weight, converts to a monopod, can be used as a copy stand (by mounting the camera in a hanging position between the legs) or even "spradled out" flat on the ground for low-level shooting, and is very well-built. I found it amazingly sturdy for its size and weight, and not wobbly at all in some fairly stiff breezes with the 5dMKII and 70-200L combo.

Will it work well in all situations? Probably not — but if you need to keep a sturdy tripod with you all the time, need very light weight in a very small package, and have situations where a monopod is occasionally needed, this little gadget does it all quite well.

Finally, cameramate2010 promptly answered my questions in well under 24 hours, and their (at extra-cost) expedited shipping arrived within the two days promised. Their (updated since I made my purchase three months ago) eBay ad shows all the photos you could possibly wish to see: http://cgi.ebay.com/HorusBennu-1128TT-Camera-Tripod-Monopod-w-Ball-Head-/270529680358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 Again, I have NO relationship with this company other than having purchased the tripod from them, since I could not find it anywhere else at the time.

Addendum: I also purchased the company's red quick release plate for the Canon 70-200 or 100-400. It is machined to custom-fit the Canon lens ring-foot perfectly, and prevents slippage as happens if you use an ordinary quick release plate on the lens. While I found it a tad expensive for my wallet at $56, other machined Arca-Swiss-type plates seem to be even higher priced ... and I did not regret its purchase.
— Henry —
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.