Options

Uploads Stopping

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited September 20, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Since the new uploader came out recently (which is awesome in many ways, by the way :thumb ) I've noticed that when a file has an error uploading, the upload halts entirely. The old uploader would just skip that file after a few tries, and keep uploading the rest of them. That was handy for average connections or large batches of files, since I could just start the upload and go about my business, and when I came back I only had to choose the few files that didn't upload and try them again. Currently I'm finding I am forced to be AT my computer monitoring my upload every two or three minutes so I can restart it whenever it gets stopped.

Can this be fixed somehow? It would be greatly appreciated! :D
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Hey, nice to see you again. please write our Support Heroes and let us help you directly from the help desk. Thanks!
  • Options
    j_mitchj_mitch Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2010
    I second this, I'm having the same issue. Keeps saying sometimes, album doesn't exist even though files above this one just got uploaded ok, and other times it says to check my internet connection.
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I've had this problem, too, and would love a public answer.
  • Options
    JETAJETA Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    I'm getting the album doesn't exist too. Please help.
    JETA
  • Options
    AllenCWAllenCW Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Through December, I have 2 weddings and sometimes 3 each weekend. Honestly, it is very difficult and time consuming to sit in front of a computer looking for errors every 7 photos. For the past month, with this new uploader, it has taken me 2-5 hours to upload 400-600 photos for just one wedding. The previous uploader had taken about 10 minutes for the same size and same amount of photos.

The file sizes are approximately 200kb (not 200mb).
    Problem happens on IE, Safari, Firefox.

Problem happens on XP, IMAC
    Problem happens on both cable and dsl.

PS. I have been with smugmug for almost 5 years. I've seen lot of good and a lot of bad......this new uploader is a major 50 steps backwards.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    AllenCW wrote: »
    Through December, I have 2 weddings and sometimes 3 each weekend. Honestly, it is very difficult and time consuming to sit in front of a computer looking for errors every 7 photos. For the past month, with this new uploader, it has taken me 2-5 hours to upload 400-600 photos for just one wedding. The previous uploader had taken about 10 minutes for the same size and same amount of photos.

The file sizes are approximately 200kb (not 200mb).
    Problem happens on IE, Safari, Firefox.

Problem happens on XP, IMAC
    Problem happens on both cable and dsl.

PS. I have been with smugmug for almost 5 years. I've seen lot of good and a lot of bad......this new uploader is a major 50 steps backwards.
    I'd suggest that you stop using Smugmug's uploader which is apparently going through an unreliable phase. Use one of the 3rd party uploaders that have more robust coding. I use StarExplorer (small fee) primarily because it does really well with large unattended uploads, even across many galleries, but others seem to enjoy SendToSmugmug too.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    TheOnlookerTheOnlooker Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you stop using Smugmug's uploader which is apparently going through an unreliable phase. Use one of the 3rd party uploaders that have more robust coding. I use StarExplorer (small fee) primarily because it does really well with large unattended uploads, even across many galleries, but others seem to enjoy SendToSmugmug too.

Hey All,

We have seen this a few times, so it has been officially reported. The engineers are aware so the kinks should be getting worked out here soon. Sorry for the issues!

Kevin and the rest of the SmugMug Support Heroes
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    Thanks Kevin, and others! Sorry I didn't catch Andy's reply till just now so I didn't contact anyone, and I suppose if you're already on it I won't worry you any. Keep up the awesome work! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    cpagilitycpagility Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    I'm having the same problem. It took the 1/2 a day to upload 32 photos. I set them to upload and went away for a couple of hours came back and it had done 4. I restarted it and came back a while later and it had done a few more. By the time I was back and forth doing other things and expecting the photos to upload automatically it was 8 hours later.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
    cpagility wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. It took the 1/2 a day to upload 32 photos. I set them to upload and went away for a couple of hours came back and it had done 4. I restarted it and came back a while later and it had done a few more. By the time I was back and forth doing other things and expecting the photos to upload automatically it was 8 hours later.

wave.gif Hey Karen, long time no talk! Write our help desk, and let us look at some diagnostics with you. Sounds like we can help.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2010
    Hey Guys,
    Yup I'm working on the 'error causes the queue to stop' issue, and I'll look into the "album doesn't exist" problem.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2010
    People who are having the 'error causes the queue to stop' issue, are you experiencing it when your upload log gives a lot of 'wrong bytes received' messages?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the solution.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Shizam wrote: »
    People who are having the 'error causes the queue to stop' issue, are you experiencing it when your upload log gives a lot of 'wrong bytes received' messages?

EDIT: Never mind, I found the solution.
    Just to give you a bit more information. I never got a 'wrong bytes received' message in the error log. In fact, the error log stays empty. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Fixes for both issues (and other stuff) are live.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Yay! I'll be testing them out this weekend, that's for sure.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Fixes for both issues (and other stuff) are live.
    Is there a list anywhere of what you changed?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    Is there a list anywhere of what you changed?
    I was curious of that too, but then thought to myself--who cares as long as it works. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    I was curious of that too, but then thought to myself--who cares as long as it works. rolleyes1.gif
    He refers to "other stuff" in his changes. I've submitted a long list of suggestions/issues with the uploader and I wanted to know which ones he thinks he's addressed (if any).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    He refers to "other stuff" in his changes. I've submitted a long list of suggestions/issues with the uploader and I wanted to know which ones he thinks he's addressed (if any).
    Ahh, that makes sense. I hope he addressed a good number of them. I know you're quite thorough when it comes to these sort of things, and I'm sure everything I could want would be encompassed in your list. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010

I'll reply to your other post where you list them.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2010
    I'll reply to your other post where you list them.
    Could you please link to that post here? I have no idea where his list might be. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,253 moderator
    edited August 29, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    Could you please link to that post here? I have no idea where his list might be.
    I believe the thread Shizam is referring to is Observations on the new Simple uploader changes.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Thank you for the link Denise. thumb.gif

I used the uploader extensively yesterday, and while it no longer stops except after a lot of retries, the number of times it is having to retrying a file seems to be slowing down the overall speed of the upload. If I had to race this uploader to the previous one, I think the previous one would win. :cry

What has fundamentally changed in this uploader versus the older one? It seems to be on the ack/nak part of the file transfer versus the transfer itself, but I can't figure it out. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    What changed is this:

-Before if it was uploading a there was a period of 10 seconds where no bytes were sent (connection issue, latency, whatever) it'd cancel the upload and start over.

-Now if its uploading it just keeps trying to send bytes until the server decides to time out the connection, more upwards of 60 seconds.

The previous way of doing things didn't actually improve speed or help w/bad connections it just gave the perception of doing something (canceling and retrying every 10 seconds). The new way actually helps w/bad connections since if the connection picks back up w/in the 60 second window the upload continues, previous progress wasn't a waste.

Also, if the problem is a connection issue it just keeps retrying the same file instead of moving on to the next file since changing files wouldn't fix a connection issue and would just cause more complications down the road re-uploading files. This is another case where in the old uploader it could be perceived as going faster since its 'moving on' but its not really faster since its unnecessarily skipping files.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    What changed is this:

-Before if it was uploading a there was a period of 10 seconds where no bytes were sent (connection issue, latency, whatever) it'd cancel the upload and start over.

-Now if its uploading it just keeps trying to send bytes until the server decides to time out the connection, more upwards of 60 seconds.

The previous way of doing things didn't actually improve speed or help w/bad connections it just gave the perception of doing something (canceling and retrying every 10 seconds). The new way actually helps w/bad connections since if the connection picks back up w/in the 60 second window the upload continues, previous progress wasn't a waste.

Also, if the problem is a connection issue it just keeps retrying the same file instead of moving on to the next file since changing files wouldn't fix a connection issue and would just cause more complications down the road re-uploading files. This is another case where in the old uploader it could be perceived as going faster since its 'moving on' but its not really faster since its unnecessarily skipping files.
    Thank you for the explanations!

I ran into two different files never transferring. I guess they just repeatedly timed-out until they exhausted all time-outs? ne_nau.gif I was able to set the upload again with skip duplicates and it found the two and uploaded them, but I'm kinda wondering under what scenario the uploader would completely give up.

What's interesting is that I never ran into issues with the old uploader canceling or re-trying files unless there was a genuine connection issue. But the new uploader seems to have a connection issue every 5 files or so, sometimes every other file. I think this may have to do with my multi-wan connection, but I'm assuming that the ack coming from the server would come from the same wan connection like it did before in the old uploader. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2010
    Weird,
    It shouldn't give up, there are no timeout limits anymore, it just keeps uploading and retrying until the file finally goes. How long had the uploader run before it hit files that it just wouldn't upload?
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    I had the same issue last night. 2 files turned red while the others were still uploading, so it was definitely still active, but gave up while the very next file was still processing. At least it kept going after skipping those files.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    Weird,
    It shouldn't give up, there are no timeout limits anymore, it just keeps uploading and retrying until the file finally goes. How long had the uploader run before it hit files that it just wouldn't upload?
    Good to know. It had just started, so it was within the first 10 files. I think it was within the first 5 files.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    I just ran into an incorrect message when trying to replace a duplicate video that didn't upload/process correctly the first time. It said something about being the wrong format or something of that nature. This was in replace mode. In allow duplicates mode, it worked fine. I lost 30 minutes though. :cry. I usually don't even try to use replace duplicates because I've had problems in the past. I was trying to save time since I'm behind schedule right now and lost time instead. :(
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2010
    I've had the new uploaders choke on uploading a 5gb set of 600+ files. I've tried them in two different galleries now. I think it's choking on parsing a video for upload, but I don't know that for certain. Time lost so far is 24hrs.