Options

waterlog

photophonaticphotophonatic Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 21, 2010 in Cameras
i need help! my nikon coolpix s570 was gently placed in a pool of water. unfortunetly i freaked out and turned it on(bad mistake i know) .
I tried the bag of rice---no go!
its been about a month that i have let it "dry out" and all it does is turn on!!! any ideas of what to do, thinking its not worth trying to get it fixed and take a loss of a camera down??

hopeful waterlog photophonatic!!!!

Comments

• Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    Its toast! Sometimes, electronics will work again if the power was off, you take the battery out, then wait untill it is completely dry. I have experimented with this many times before (by accident) with cell phones rolleyes1.gif
    If you have let it dry out for a month, it is as dry as its going to get. Your going to have to take a loss and buy a new camera.

Think of this as a great opertunity to upgrade to a camera like the Nikon D40, or Canon Rebel XS (older models, used, or refurbished, are even cheaper)
    It is obvious that the camera gods want you to ditch the P&S and get a SLR :D
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010
    "letting it dry" lets the corrosion start - you need to get in there and get the water out immediately.

My future advise to anyone is to take it straight to your camera shop and pay the service fee for them to open it up and dry it out. Or if you have the skills do it yourself.

Sorry mate.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Speaking as a Dutchman, I would expect whoever placed your camera gently in a bowl of water was insured.

When you did this yourself then you should seek medical advice.

Electronics and water do not mix. I thought they taught this in primary school.

Save yourself the price of a tech check and buy a new camera.
  • Options
    photophonaticphotophonatic Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2010
    thanks to all the responses!
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2010
    it may be a bit too late to do anything after a month long.

But still worth to try out the followings:
    1. remove the battery and SD card.
    2. Open any possible covers
    3. keep it in the electric dry box or silicon gel dry box for couple days.
    4. If it is not available, shot gentle frequent hair dry blow on the case may help to warm the camera and hope to let moisture out.

I did it for my handphone, old film camera and radio before. It seems some hope.

good luck!
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 21, 2010
    Seymore wrote: »
    Usually the dryest place in any home is the oven.
    Why would a turned-off oven be any drier than anywhere else in the home? headscratch.gif