Options

baldy's helicopter ride

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 8, 2005 in The Big Picture
baldy had a very serious truck vs. bicycle accident, looks like he's going to be okay...

for those of you that are new, baldy is the site owner, and co-founder of smugmug.

his son ben wrote this in baldy's other forum, advrider, and i'm just going to cut and paste his first-hand report:
ben wrote:
So at around noon this morning, I got a call from Baldy's cell phone. He seemed a little out of it, and informed me that a nurse was holding a phone to his ear. He told me he had been hit by a pickup truck while bicycling right near Alice's, and had to be life flighted to Stanford Hospital. I told him I would be right there, and hung up the phone.

I arrived at the hospital, and the nurse stopped me on my way to the room to ask me if I had a problem with blood. After assuring her I would be okay, she led me into the trauma unit to see him. He had a collar on his neck (which scared me, as spine injuries are very common in these accidents), and was pretty bloody. I know Don got some pictures that hopefully he will post in this thread a little later.

He quickly assured me that the spine CT scan came out normal (PHEW!), and that they told him he broke several bones in his face/cheek. His shoulder was a bloody mess and they weren't sure at that point if anything was broken there. It turned out later that he only suffered tissue damage on the shoulder, though it sure hurt him all day.

He spent about 10 hours in the trauma unit and ER, before they moved him up to a bed on one of the other floors to let him sleep. They had wanted to discharge him a few times, but he had grown really light headed. We think it was due to dehydration, and they weren't really that worried... but wanted to keep an eye on him. They assured me I would be able to take him home tomorrow morning some time, and that he would need to take it easy for a few weeks (no Ironman for him in September! he is quite distraught about that).

So it turns out that Baldy was cruising along on his bicycle (making record time he assures me) right near Alice's. He spotted a pickup truck with a camper that was driving pretty agressively heading towards him on the opposite side of the street. He kept his eye on it, but as it got almost alongside him it decided it REALLY needed to get into the parking lot entrance Baldy was passing in front of. It pulled a hard left turn without even seeing him and totally clobbered Baldy. He woke up later with firemen surrounding him. They asked him his age and the year, and he failed both questions miserably. They flew him to Stanford as quick as they could and began working on him. He got better at answering questions quickly, and overall it looks like he should make a full recovery.

Anyways, if you want to leave wellwishes or snide remarks, I figure I will probably print some of them out and take them with me to the hospital if they aren't ready to discharge him first thing in the morning. :)

baldy: all of us here at dgrin wish you well, and hope you have a speedy recovery!

Comments

• Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    I hope you put a nasty dent in that idiots truck Baldy. Get well.

Bear
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    kind of post you dont like to read but when it happens to someone that touches your life, you cant help but to send your best wishes...
    and your "site" has helped touch many lives........

best wishes for a speedy recovery,

troy
    andy wrote:
    baldy: all of us here at dgrin wish you well, and hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    I hope you will recover swiftly Chris!!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    I wish Baldy well and hope for a speedy recovery.

Did the pickup driver stop? Did he have a license and insurance. If so, Baldy is really lucky.

Sam
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    We are all lucky that you were lucky Baldy. Glad you are still with us.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Best Wishes for a Speedy and full recovery, Baldy.

Some flowers,
    29654079-M-1.jpg

or if you prefer cuddly puppies9028865-M.jpg

ann
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    This happens all too often. If you know a bicyclist, then you most likely know someone who's been hurt in a traffic accident on their bike. My uncle was just hospitalized and will most likely never be able to lift his camera (1dMKII) again. His son-in-law (my cousin-in-law) was hurt in a similar fashion last year. My cousin on the other side was also hurt this way, and helped to establish the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery, Baldy. And please, let's all of us use this as an opportunity to raise awareness of cyclist's rights.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    This happens all too often. If you know a bicyclist, then you most likely know someone who's been hurt in a traffic accident on their bike. My uncle was just hospitalized and will most likely never be able to lift his camera (1dMKII) again. His son-in-law (my cousin-in-law) was hurt in a similar fashion last year. My cousin on the other side was also hurt this way, and helped to establish the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery, Baldy. And please, let's all of us use this as an opportunity to raise awareness of cyclist's rights.

Yeesh, Dave, and this ignorance/indifference is why I stopped riding motorcycles over 20 years ago, even if I rode as if invisible, it was still too risky.

Chris, wishing you a speedy recovery and glad you were tougher than Idiot Boy's truck. I hope they cited him. And I hope Toni's blood pressure is back to normal, what a horrible scare.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Oh good lord, this is awful.

To Chris and his entire family, my sympathies, and thank goodness it wasn't worse. Good luck on a speedy recovery. And sorry about missing the September Ironman. Just know that your quest for fitness is an inspiration to a lot of us.

Unfortunately, as so many of you know, we often only see what we expect to see. Drivers often don't "see" motorcyclists and bicyclists even when they're looking right at them - something to do with how the brain prioritizes the incredible amount of information it processes. So be careful out there.

Hope the shoulder heals well, Chris.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 27, 2005
    This is actually Ben, posting from Baldy's machine. He is home now, and doing much better... well on his way to a full recovery. clap.gif

Do you think this will be selected as a Kodak POTD? :D

33709050-M.jpg

http://ben.smugmug.com/gallery/763261
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    This is actually Ben, posting from Baldy's machine. He is home now, and doing much better... well on his way to a full recovery. clap.gif

Do you think this will be selected as a Kodak POTD? :D

33709050-Ti.jpg

http://ben.smugmug.com/gallery/763261

:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Best wishes, Baldy! And as for that picture: it is in need of a soundbite, where someone with an Austrian accent says "I'll be back". :)
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Wow! I'm really glad he's not seriously injured. Wearing a helmet, I presume? If so, another life saver...

Best wishes on a speedy recovery!
    Chris
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 27, 2005
    95Mcaj wrote:
    Wow! I'm really glad he's not seriously injured. Wearing a helmet, I presume? If so, another life saver...

Best wishes on a speedy recovery!
    Actually, the helmet is about the only thing that DIDN'T get beat up. I was going through his bloody clothing last night taking stock of what made it and what didn't... and I pulled his helmet out and it was perfectly intact. It didn't look like it had hit anything... I think his cheek absorbed the impact unfortunately, not his helmet.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Oh man, so sorry to hear about this. Very glad to hear that you are going to be ok. Get well soon Chris...

Ed
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Glad your gonna be ok Baldy, here's to a speedy recovery, and that truck driver getting the book thrown at him.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    There's only one solution: full face bicycle helmets. lol3.gif

Baldy's the Saturday night Monster Movie host this weekend. Curl up with the babe and a bucket of popcorn, this one's gonna be really scary.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    There's only one solution: full face bicycle helmets. lol3.gif

Baldy's the Saturday night Monster Movie host this weekend. Curl up with the babe and a bucket of popcorn, this one's gonna be really scary.

look, i've seen baldy in person plenty, and i'm kinda likin' the new look over the old one lol3.gif he's a little less a-skeery now, eh what?

14220996-M.jpg
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery!!

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    That photo is classic and says more about Baldy's personality than most anything I can think of. After getting beat up like that the last thing I'd think of doing is mugging for the camera!

Glad a full recovery is already begun and hope it doesn't take long. thumb.gif

I can already see the business opportunity here. Smugmug signs up with Aerostitch to create an armored-yet-lightweight bicyclist clothing line! "FULL GEAR, FULL TIME." lol8.gif
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Get well soon. Speedy recovery. Very glad is wasn't more serious.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005

Baldy

Best of luck to you on a speedy recovery. thumb.gif

Joe B
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    Chris, get well soon!
    I hope you'll be alright!thumb.gif
    My thoughts are with ya!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Hope it's a speedy recovery
    Ye gads, such horrible news. I hope they get the truck driver, do keep us posted on that.

I'm sure all are relieved you'll be all right. Here's to a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Get well soon...
    Baldy,

Glad that you're recovering mate, and that you'll be around to ride another day. Remember though, scars are coolrolleyes1.gif . Seriously though, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Cheers,
    Kevin K.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    The doctors, and nurses must think your nuts! Who in their right mind runs into a hospital with a camera to photograph their injured and bloody loved ones?

Glad Baldy is home, and I hope for a speedy pain free recovery.

Sam
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 28, 2005
    Many thanks for all the well wishes and funny insults!!

You know how you sometimes wake up in a hotel room and it takes awhile to figure out where you are? Imagine waking up on your back, strapped to a board with a neck collar on, buck naked (which you can tell from the cool breeze), able to open one eye, seeing perhaps 8 firemen/EMTs looking over you, hearing a helicopter on the ground nearby...

They ask you confusing questions like "what year is it?" that you can't answer. And finally the moment of truth: "can you wiggle your fingers and toes?" Check on toes. Check on left hand. Right hand? Can't tell, can't see it, the whole arm is numb. And then someone says something ever-so-sweet: "They're moving."

And now I have a constant source of amusement which gives me a smile every 3 minutes: I watch my fingers and toes wiggle.

Don't count me out for IronMan September 17th. My specialty is overcoming adversity.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Don't count me out for IronMan September 17th. My specialty is overcoming adversity.

in the dictionary, under "determination" there's a picture of baldy bowdown.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2005
    Great to hear from you!
    Once again, get well soon!iloveyou.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"