• Options
    00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Really nice set Randy - well done sir
    Devin
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Very nice series Randy!! I love looking at these old forts!

I like that you can still see the water here. I live in the PNW and there are a couple forts of this type around the coast. Fort Stevens was the primary fort that protected the mouth of the Columbia river. I was there years ago as a young boy. At that time, you could still see the Columbia river. Now, it has grown up so much (trees and such) that you cannot see the river anymore and you find of lose the feel of what it may have been like to be stationed there.

Thanks for sharing these!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    I've been waiting on these, Randy. You've done a masterful job of capturing the flavor of the place. As I mentioned to you, the cannons in picture #1 point across the ocean inlet to the next dry land....which is Georgia. In fact, it's Cumberland Island....somewhat famous because of JFK Jr.'s rather secretive wedding there.... and is accessible only by boat.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    00SS wrote: »
    Really nice set Randy - well done sir

Thanks for the comment Devin!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Very nice series Randy!! I love looking at these old forts!

I like that you can still see the water here. I live in the PNW and there are a couple forts of this type around the coast. Fort Stevens was the primary fort that protected the mouth of the Columbia river. I was there years ago as a young boy. At that time, you could still see the Columbia river. Now, it has grown up so much (trees and such) that you cannot see the river anymore and you find of lose the feel of what it may have been like to be stationed there.

Thanks for sharing these!

Ron

Ron,

This is the most intact fort that I've been at to date. I wish that I could have spent more time there, but alas, was not to be. We'll have to place the burden of continuing shots from Tom, whom has spent enough time there to be an enlisted man rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    I've been waiting on these, Randy. You've done a masterful job of capturing the flavor of the place. As I mentioned to you, the cannons in picture #1 point across the ocean inlet to the next dry land....which is Georgia. In fact, it's Cumberland Island....somewhat famous because of JFK Jr.'s rather secretive wedding there.... and is accessible only by boat.

Tom

OK Tom,

One more page to come, then I'm closing this book out clap.gif

Due to the fact that I've been there, and that you undoubtedly will go there again, I fully expect to see pictures of all the things that I didn't have time to see during my visit thumb.gif

Thank you for your kind comments!
    Randy
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Howdy Randy,

Well, you've certainly saved some of your best for last.

Really wonderful perspectives and detail.

Like you said, that has to be one of the best

preserved and best taken care of older Forts.

Very Nicely Done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2010
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Randy,

Well, you've certainly saved some of your best for last.

Really wonderful perspectives and detail.

Like you said, that has to be one of the best

preserved and best taken care of older Forts.

Very Nicely Done!!!

Thank you for the kind words Craig thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    Looks like they keep the guns in good shape.

#10 is my favorite. I like the perspective of what the barrel would be aiming at.