Options

You should be able to upload 1 GB videos now

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited January 18, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Consider this an Easter egg not in the docs... We've been wanting to enable larger file sizes for uploads but have some kinks to work out.

As an interim step, we've raised it to 1 GB. Some of our uploaders will give a timeout message with files that big, but the file should still go through. We'll fix the timeout messages as we can.

But in the meantime, the Simple Uploader should work fine.

As you've probably noticed with big videos, it takes awhile for the processing image thumbnail to display and for the upload to show in your error log.

Those of you who try files that big, let us know how it goes.

Thanks!
Baldy

Comments

• Options
    Andrew MaimanAndrew Maiman Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Wow, two big upgrades in a week. Awesome! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    I just tried it out with a 636MB file. Unfortunately, my attempt was unsuccessful. The simple uploader ignored the file (looks like it doesn't know to allow the bigger files in yet), and olde faithful timed out.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    iloveyou.gif

Malte
  • Options
    mleemlee Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Baldy -

Now that the file size is limit is 1GB, any plans on making the maximum time longer than 600 seconds for pro users? Say, 900 seconds?

I have a video that's just over 12 minutes that I've been dying to upload for a few months now. It appeared to upload just fine last night, but was rejected due to the time restriction.

---

alert_icon.gif Info: upload 'video longer than 600 seconds. Would you like a SmugVault?' using POST to http://upload.smugmug.com/photos/xmlrawadd.mg with Star*Explorer, Version: 1.0.0.256 from 71.93.XXX.XXX in unknown_big_upload on line 0

---
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    mlee wrote: »
    Baldy -

Now that the file size is limit is 1GB, any plans on making the maximum time longer than 600 seconds for pro users? Say, 900 seconds?

I have a video that's just over 12 minutes that I've been dying to upload for a few months now. It appeared to upload just fine last night, but was rejected due to the time restriction.

---

alert_icon.gif Info: upload 'video longer than 600 seconds. Would you like a SmugVault?' using POST to http://upload.smugmug.com/photos/xmlrawadd.mg with Star*Explorer, Version: 1.0.0.256 from 71.93.XXX.XXX in unknown_big_upload on line 0

---
    Not at the current time, no, I'm very sorry. 10mins is the max.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 7, 2010
    I just tried it out with a 636MB file. Unfortunately, my attempt was unsuccessful. The simple uploader ignored the file (looks like it doesn't know to allow the bigger files in yet), and olde faithful timed out.
    Ugh, you're right. We're making a change to the Simple Uploader this a.m. that hopefully will go out tomorrow to fix this.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    Baldy wrote: »
    Ugh, you're right. We're making a change to the Simple Uploader this a.m. that hopefully will go out tomorrow to fix this.

It looks like your change worked, I successfully uploaded three video files in the 600-700MB range this morning using the simple uploader. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Why the 10 minute limit? Also isn't the video compressed to 8mbps for 1080p anyways?
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    mleemlee Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    mac write wrote: »
    why the 10 minute limit?

+1

Mike
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Yay! clap.gif :ivar wings.gifbowdown.gif I have shot several videos over the years that are over the size limit but not the time limit, and I've always had to chop them up before uploading. I'll need to revisit all of these and see if the original uploads fine. I'll report back next week when I have a chance to do the testing. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    That's awesome that the file size limit is now 1 GB, but for me at least, that doesn't solve a problem - I've always been able to transcode the video to fit under the file size limit...but what I can't do is magically make a 20 minute video 10 minutes long.

My uncle passed away last year and I capture a video of the eulogy to share with family who were far away - it was about 22 minutes long. Am I going to chop up a eulogy into three clips? No, that's tasteless and tacky. Smugmug couldn't host the video, even though the photos I took of the Celebration of Life/Funeral Procession/Family were a Smugmug gallery. I had to upload it to my YouTube director account and put a link to the video inside the gallery. Ugg. Not a great solution!

I understand the file size limit; storage = cost for Smugmug. But if I can make a 22 minute video file fit under 1 GB, why shouldn't that be allowed? There should be no added cost to Smugmug for streaming a 22 minute video that's 1 GB instead of a 5 minute video that's 1 GB. Is the concern here copyright? That somehow Smugmuggers are going to start to upload TV shows or something? I find that highly implausible - we've all invested time and money into our accounts and I doubt anyone would risk losing their account by doing that.

Why won't anyone at Smugmug come out and tell their users why this 10 minute limit is in place? headscratch.gif
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Jason Dunn wrote: »
    There should be no added cost to Smugmug for streaming a 22 minute video that's 1 GB instead of a 5 minute video that's 1 GB.
    Oh, but there is. Remember, everything gets transcoded to their format, so every video can only use a maximum size. Something tells me the limit is related to that, and that the increase in size limits is related improvements in the codec being used to compress the 1gb down to whatever that size limit is.

I think once SM can figure out monetization of the videos, we'll see the limits change rapidly. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!