• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Different background photos for different pages! ??

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Jul-06-2010, 02:57 AM
StankyFanger is offline StankyFanger OP
Big grins
Different background photos for different pages! ??
In the easy customizer tool I can obviously upload and choose a custum image file for my background. When one does that the image is then the background for ALL the pages, galleries etc.

How can I choose different photos for different pages? So that my homepage has one photo for the background, my about page has another photo background, and my galleries each have a unique photo, or a basic theme, or custom color. I need options.

Pretty basic stuff. Why these options are not in the easy customizer tool I'll never know. But since they are not how does one do these things?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by StankyFanger; Jul-06-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old Jul-06-2010, 08:23 PM
jfriend is offline jfriend
Scripting dude-volunteer
If you post a link to a Smugmug image you want to use as a background and identify a class of page that you want it to be a background for (a single category, all categories, a gallery, etc...), we can help you with the custom CSS to do that. FYI, because browser windows can be all different sizes, it doesn't always work to have a fixed size image as a background, but it depends upon which pages you're doing it for and what your image is.
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old Jul-07-2010, 12:04 AM
StankyFanger is offline StankyFanger OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend View Post
If you post a link to a Smugmug image you want to use as a background and identify a class of page that you want it to be a background for (a single category, all categories, a gallery, etc...), we can help you with the custom CSS to do that. FYI, because browser windows can be all different sizes, it doesn't always work to have a fixed size image as a background, but it depends upon which pages you're doing it for and what your image is.
OK, great, I'll appreciate the help. I'm still experimenting with concepts, and have not decided on a particular look for a particular page quite yet. I like to experiment a lot, which is why I wanted to know how to do it before I started trying out images.

The idea is to create some taylor made photoshop images with text, graphics, etc. A unique one for each page. I made a custom one already that worked perfectly for my homepage when uploading via the easy customizer, but it was only appropriate for the homepage. I did this by uploading an image and using easy reference points to overlay a black background with text, etc. I looked @ different browser views, so I could find something that worked universally. It took some tedious effort, but it was achievable. But when I attempted to set it as a homepage only photo using this code:

body.homepage {

background-image:
url(http://williams.smugmug.com/photos/3487489-L.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: left bottom;
}

I could never duplicate the orientation I got when I uploaded with the easy customizer tool. And that's when I started throwing stuff against the wall. Nothing too expensive, so it was fine. Is there a way to match the way it looks using the easy customizer?

Otherwise I'll ask for more specific help when I'm ready to set a particular image. Any thoughts?

Last edited by StankyFanger; Jul-07-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jul-07-2010, 08:07 AM
jfriend is offline jfriend
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by StankyFanger View Post
OK, great, I'll appreciate the help. I'm still experimenting with concepts, and have not decided on a particular look for a particular page quite yet. I like to experiment a lot, which is why I wanted to know how to do it before I started trying out images.

The idea is to create some taylor made photoshop images with text, graphics, etc. A unique one for each page. I made a custom one already that worked perfectly for my homepage when uploading via the easy customizer, but it was only appropriate for the homepage. I did this by uploading an image and using easy reference points to overlay a black background with text, etc. I looked @ different browser views, so I could find something that worked universally. It took some tedious effort, but it was achievable. But when I attempted to set it as a homepage only photo using this code:

body.homepage {

background-image:
url(http://williams.smugmug.com/photos/3487489-L.jpg);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: left bottom;
}

I could never duplicate the orientation I got when I uploaded with the easy customizer tool. And that's when I started throwing stuff against the wall. Nothing too expensive, so it was fine. Is there a way to match the way it looks using the easy customizer?

Otherwise I'll ask for more specific help when I'm ready to set a particular image. Any thoughts?
It's hard to offer general advice. Every page has a unique way of targetting the CSS at just that page. bit each type of page is unique in how you target it and different themes can cause you to have to do it different ways. Further, different image sizes may cause different issues. I'm not aware of a general purpose tutorial that tries to describe all the various permutations that are possible, but it's not hard to tell you how to do it for one particular page if I have a link to the specific page and at least a placeholder image to use.
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Tell The World!