Options

2x teleconvertors

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited July 9, 2010 in Accessories
i have a canon eos 30d with a canon eos 18-200mm lens(72mm) and i want to double my focal length for shooting birds to 400mm.looking at the 2x convertors i noticed on b&h photo and adorama there are a wide range of types and prices.i would like the least degredation of focus.thanks john

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited July 5, 2010
    The Canon EF-S 18-200mm, f3.5-5.6 IS is not a lens that will work well with any teleconverter and I don't believe that any Canon teleconverter will even mechanically fit.

Your best bet is to use a Canon 70-200mm, f4L (either version). I have an EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM and the Canon EF 1.4x II and EF 2.0x II both fit, but the image degradation is more noticeable with the 2x and the loss in lens efficiency (from the 2x) turns the lens into an f8, so you would loose AF (except on the Canon 1D/1Ds series bodies). Focus confirmation does work when the lens is in manual focus mode. IS is also affected pretty badly with the 2x converter.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    used canon 70-200mm f4l
    any suggestions on where i can buy a used canon 70-200mm f4l?
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I don't know of any TC that will fit on a Canon EF-S lens. Doubling the focal
    length isn't as simple as it sounds at first. If you double the focal length you
    will lose 2 stops of aperature. In practice this means that you will loose auto
    focus capability if your lens is not f2.8 at it's longest focal length (unless you
    own a many thousand $ 1D series camera). At that the viewfinder image will
    be pretty dark at f8 or f11. Your best bet is to buy the above mentioned
    70-200 4.0 with a 1.4x TC (result is 112-280mm f/5.6) or with a 2x TC
    (= 140-400mm f8 without AF) or a Canon 200mm 2.8 L prime with TC.
    or a Sigma 100-300 with 1.4x TC or an even longer Sigma zoom (150-500,
    170-500 etc). All of those options cost between 500 and 1000 USD.
    But there is no free lunch when it comes to long focal lengths ...
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    thanks guys
    wish i could have some beer i am diabetic!
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    ef lenses
    i noticed at b&h photo that they had a canon ef f4-5.6 3 af for $170 and an ef canon 70-300mmf14-5.6 is usm for $549.would either of these be good for shooting birds and wildlife.as discussed above i think a tc would not work on these lenses.are there other ef canon lenses that might be apprpriate?thanks for all your help john
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    To my knowledge only L lenses with 135mm or longer are designed to work (and mount) with Canon TC's.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    To my knowledge only L lenses with 135mm or longer are designed to work (and mount) with Canon TC's.

For prime lenses, that is largely true. There are a few Canon zoom lenses that will physically/safely mount onto a Canon teleconverter. I believe a current compatibility list would include:

70-200mm 2.8L
    70-200mm 2.8L IS
    70-200mm 4L
    70-200mm 4L IS
    100-400mm 4.5-5.6L
    400mm 4 DO
    135mm 2L
    180mm 3.5L Macro
    200mm 1.8L
    200mm 2.8L
    300mm 2.8L IS
    300mm 4L
    300mm 4L IS
    400mm 2.8L IS
    400mm 5.6L
    500mm 4L IS
    600mm 4L IS
    1200mm f/5.6L

Note that some third-party teleconverters may mount onto additional Canon lenses, but I honestly cannot say that image quality is as good as the Canon teleconverters (per my own tests), except for the rather odd combination of an old Tamron 1.4x "F" series which works rather nicely with my Canon EF 50mm, f1.4 USM, especially at close focus distances. (I believe that the Tamron "F" series converters were designed for "flat field" lenses, like some of the Tamron mirror lenses.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    i noticed at b&h photo that they had ... an ef canon 70-300mmf14-5.6 is usm for $549.would either of these be good for shooting birds and wildlife.as discussed above i think a tc would not work on these lenses.are there other ef canon lenses that might be apprpriate?thanks for all your help john

The Canon EF 70-300mm, f4-5.6 IS USM is better than most other consumer lenses of similar length and speed. Bob Atkins even tested it with a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter and has a review:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/ef_70_300is_review.html

It does posses some optical qualities of Canon "L" lenses, but many qualities of the upper consumer lenses. It does have a "UD" element, similar to many "L" lenses, but the build quality and AF speed are somewhat lacking. Still, not a bad lens for the money and many people like it. I do think that the 300mm is still a little short for birding and if you add a teleconverter "IS" is affected a bit too much and AF will not work on abything but a 1D body or better.

The most popular, reasonably priced, bird lenses for Canon cameras are:

Canon EF 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Sigma 50-500mm, f4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    Canon EF 400mm, f5.6L USM

None are cheap but they each have desirable qualities for birding. For the latter 2 lenses you will also want support for the lens when shooting at the long end.

My usual advice applies:

I really do recommend trying the combination of bird feeder* and bird sanctuary along with a shooter's blind. If you can get the critters to come to you, it saves a lot on the cost of extremely long lenses.

* When I say bird feeder I don't mean a commercial feeder like you would purchase. A feeder in this case might be anything that allows the desired birds to roost and feed while affording you the opportunity of a shot. You provide the appropriate lure and see what shows up to feed.

Sometimes just an elevated source of water near some food spread on the ground will do (or vice-versa with the water and food). The point is to find what works for the birds you want to attract. Be creative and think photogenic.

Very nice information here:

http://www.wildbirdsforever.com/pg000004.html

Likewise the shooter's blind doesn't have to be a commercial unit, although I do think there are very practical and reasonably affordable units available.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    sigma 150-500
    how well do the 1.4x and2x tc work with this lens?.how does the "anti rotation" bar which is on the lens work?do i need a special tripod for this lens?can i use a monopod?what are the biggest drawbacks to this lens?thank you
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    how well do the 1.4x and2x tc work with this lens?.how does the "anti rotation" bar which is on the lens work?do i need a special tripod for this lens?can i use a monopod?what are the biggest drawbacks to this lens?thank you

Forget 2.0x TC's with zoom lenses. 1.4x TC the 150-500 gets soft with a TC
    you might as well just crop the photo so that you get the same frame as if
    you shot with 1.4x TC.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    hello:i like the sigma 150-500mm because i would not need the tcs.i checked nextag and they want $491.70 for a sigma apo 170-500mm f5-6.3 dg telephoto zoom lens o.15x,normally priced at $1057.problem is the ad said "for digital slrs" but did not specify"canon mounts".i could not find a way to contact them.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    thanks
    have a good day
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    sigma 170-500
    what would you regard the best pros and worst cons of this lens?