Options

HTML5 Slideshows - Very Cool

MWWestonMWWeston Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited June 24, 2011 in SmugMug Support
Thank you for the latest release

http://release-notes.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/07/01/hd-video-for-power-users-smugshot-updates-bug-fixes/

"iPhone and iPad visitors can view your buttery-smooth slideshows. This includes your homepage slideshow box, event slideshows, or gallery’s slideshow viewing style. This does not include any slideshows placed using copied/pasted embed code. Accoutrements like captions and the thumbnail bar don’t yet show, but we’re still hammering at this. Stay tuned!"

This is looking good on my homepage slideshow. Looking forward to updates that will also include the slideshow button within the galleries.

Great stuff. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    clap.gif
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    clap.gif

Sounds great - however, just how do we go about using this feature?

Is it automatically converting the flash SS currently being used?

The release notes don't really say much about it -more info please!

-rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    rich56k wrote: »
    Sounds great - however, just how do we go about using this feature?

Is it automatically converting the flash SS currently being used?

The release notes don't really say much about it -more info please!

-rich56k

Do you have an iPad or iPhone? View a homepage slideshow box slideshow, or a Gallery style slideshow on these html5 capable devices.
  • Options
    MWWestonMWWeston Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    I did not make any changes to my code and it works.
    I currently have the standard built-in slideshow on my gallery at http://www.markwweston.com/ .

It is playing the Flash version on all my my computer browsers and the HTML5 version on my iPhone. I did not have to make any changes myself. It just works. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Do you have an iPad or iPhone? View a homepage slideshow box slideshow, or a Gallery style slideshow on these html5 capable devices.

Andy,

Not yet - back when Allen and I were trying to get the old bigwebguy SS (a couple months ago) to work on iPad/iPhone each morning I would stop off at the Apple store on my way to school and check the results!

So I'll have to make a visit to witness the magic!! wings.gif

It sounds great - I knew it was just a matter of time!!

Thanks Andy and all the sorcerers that made this possible!

:D:Dthumb.gifthumb.gifdeal.gifbowdown.gifdeal.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif:D:D
    MWWeston wrote: »
    I currently have the standard built-in slideshow on my gallery at http://www.markwweston.com/ .

It is playing the Flash version on all my my computer browsers and the HTML5 version on my iPhone. I did not have to make any changes myself. It just works. wings.gif
    Mark,

Sounds great! deal.gif

Couldn't have hoped for any better! :D

-rich56k
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Any reason the HTML5 slideshow doesn't work on Android?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Does this new HTML slideshow work with stretchy slideshows as well?
    No, it does not and I don't yet know if it's possible to make it so. In the meantime, the latest version of the stretchy slideshow code has a redirect you can specify to take viewers to your galleries page if flash is not installed so they aren't left staring at an empty homepage.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    Any reason the HTML5 slideshow doesn't work on Android?
    No HTML5 Support yet on the Droid, and no flash till Froyo comes out, is what I'm told.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    No HTML5 Support yet on the Droid, and no flash till Froyo comes out, is what I'm told.
    Are you saying that you aren't supporting HTML5 on the Droid or are you saying the Droid's browser doesn't have enough HTML5 support for you to do slideshows? Froyo for Droid will be later this year.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2010
    Are you saying that you aren't supporting HTML5 on the Droid or are you saying the Droid's browser doesn't have enough HTML5 support for you to do slideshows? Froyo for Droid will be later this year.
    We don't support it on the Droid yet. Hopefully we can!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Well it sounded too good to be true!!

OK so I just got back from the Apple store (packed - had to wait in line to use an iPad!!)
    much to my chagrin my homepage was blank (NO slideshow) same as it has been since iPhone/iPad came out... :cry

I checked mark westons (original poster of this thread) homepage - yes his slideshow is working fine (http://markweston.com) rolleyes1.gif

So from my very limited technical viewpoint - the HTML5 Slideshow feature is only working on the 'new easy set-up' homepage slideshow - NOT the flash version I've been using...(since way before the new easy customization features came online) deal.gif

So the $$64,000 question is ...what do I have to do to replace my SS with a version that WILL render on iPhone/iPad??? ne_nau.gif

Please help!!

-rich56k
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    OK so I just got back from the Apple store (packed - had to wait in line to use an iPad!!)
    much to my chagrin my homepage was blank (NO slideshow) same as it has been since iPhone/iPad came out... :cry

I checked mark westons (original poster of this thread) homepage - yes his slideshow is working fine (http://markweston.com) rolleyes1.gif

So from my very limited technical viewpoint - the HTML5 Slideshow feature is only working on the 'new easy set-up' homepage slideshow - NOT the flash version I've been using...(since way before the new easy customization features came online) deal.gif

So the $$64,000 question is ...what do I have to do to replace my SS with a version that WILL render on iPhone/iPad??? ne_nau.gif

Please help!!

-rich56k

Just like we say in our release note - it works with our homepage slideshow box slideshow, and gallery slideshows, and event slideshows. It -does not- work with the embedded Shizam slideshow which you use on your homepage.

Change to the homepage slideshow box and it'll work on iDevices.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Just like we say in our release note - it works with our homepage slideshow box slideshow, and gallery slideshows, and event slideshows. It -does not- work with the embedded Shizam slideshow which you use on your homepage.

Why not? It's your code generating the slideshow. Is it coming for this custom slideshow?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010

OK- so just how do I go about accomplishing that?

I'm a cut and paste kind of guy...ANY help would be really appreciated.

-rich56k

I'm sure I'm not the only one this would help...
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    OK- so just how do I go about accomplishing that?

I'm a cut and paste kind of guy...ANY help would be really appreciated.

-rich56k

I'm sure I'm not the only one this would help...
    Rich, just try it!

Homepage Layout button, slideshow. Play with knobs and dials. It's really easy.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Why not? It's your code generating the slideshow. Is it coming for this custom slideshow?

I don't have an answer yet for this. But it's likely that we'll lean towards the homepage slideshow box version. We'll see.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Rich, just try it!

Homepage Layout button, slideshow. Play with knobs and dials. It's really easy.

Will do...I'm in there now...stay tuned
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    I don't have an answer yet for this. But it's likely that we'll lean towards the homepage slideshow box version. We'll see.
    This seems silly. You're penalizing people who have customized and want control over the size of their own slideshow and awarding more functionality to those who take the generic slideshow with less features? Is that really how you want it to be?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    I have to agree with John...I've been around here for a few years, was one of the last to switch from Bigwebguys SS (which by the way DID work on iDevices - even though it was written years before they existed!!) to the Shazam Flash SS (which added time to the start up and forced everyone to see that 'cool' little loading slider- sorry Shazam nothing personal)

So to force me to go back in and essentially downgrade my home page just so I can now tell all my friends WITH iDevices they can NOW finally check out my web site and see it as I intended - this was the same company that (used too- can't find it now) talked about it's apple - like fanatical users (and yes I'm still one) in the sales pitch pages...probobly took it down when the iPhone came out...

To sum it up - yes I'm now very happy that my homepage is viewable on iDevices - well I'm assuming for now - no way to justify purchasing one until now...but at what price?

Also this is BIG news in my opinion and should be sent to all subscribers- I just happened to stumble across it here on dgrin...

Lastly don't misinterpret my words for a disgruntled customer - I'm not it's just my opinion...smugmug is still the BEST game in town and I'm here for the long haul - thanks for getting it to work even if it can still be improved!

-rich56k

PS: Andy, yes I did figure it out...wasn't that hard - but I also had to go into my customzation page and delete ALL the other references to SS and delete the SS info from the bio box (actually I pasted everything to a safe spot just in case)...I did leave my 'bio box' text intact will that still be searchable by google?

PSS: If anyone with an iDevice doesn't mind checking my homepage (just click the link in my sig below) and verify it does in fact work...I can't make it back to the Apple store before they close tonight - thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    This seems silly. You're penalizing people who have customized and want control over the size of their own slideshow and awarding more functionality to those who take the generic slideshow with less features? Is that really how you want it to be?
    Hey John - I don't have the answer yet. Hang tight, OK?
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Also this is BIG news in my opinion and should be sent to all subscribers- I just happened to stumble across it here on dgrin...

There's NO NEWS. Please know that when / if we make a decision, we'll announce it fully and properly. NOTHING IS CHANGING right now. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    I did leave my 'bio box' text intact will that still be searchable by google?

Yes.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    There's NO NEWS. Please know that when / if we make a decision, we'll announce it fully and properly. NOTHING IS CHANGING right now. Thank you.

Be that as it may...if when I drive back up to the Apple store tomorrow and the SS is visible thats BIG NEWS to ME!!

But I don't want to argue - again (hopefully NOT premature as I was yesterday) but thanks to you and the sorcerers that have allowed this version of a SS to be viewable on iDevices!!

And thanks for the reply regarding the bio/text google search!!

Thanks Andy!

Enjoy the holiday - I will now!!

-Rich
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Has the "Smug News" been put into effect yet? If it has, I haven't gotten anything.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Be that as it may...if when I drive back up to the Apple store tomorrow and the SS is visible thats BIG NEWS to ME!!

But I don't want to argue - again (hopefully NOT premature as I was yesterday) but thanks to you and the sorcerers that have allowed this version of a SS to be viewable on iDevices!!

And thanks for the reply regarding the bio/text google search!!

Thanks Andy!

Enjoy the holiday - I will now!!

-Rich

You may be confused. It's official that we support HTML5 Slideshows on iDevices with Homepage Slideshow box, and gallery style slideshow.

We've not made any decisions on the Shizam embedded slideshow in bio boxes.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    ebwest wrote: »
    Has the "Smug News" been put into effect yet? If it has, I haven't gotten anything.

You will when you go to any page that you own, while logged in.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2010
    You will when you go to any page that you own, while logged in.

Been going there every day this week and haven't seen it yet.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2010
    ebwest wrote: »
    Been going there every day this week and haven't seen it yet.

You may've missed it on Friday. It won't reappear till we have more news. Until then, you can see all news, here:

http://www.smugmug.com/news/

(be logged in).
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2010
    You may've missed it on Friday. It won't reappear till we have more news. Until then, you can see all news, here:

http://www.smugmug.com/news/

(be logged in).

Thanks, go watch some fireworks
  • Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    HD Video for Power Users, now HTML5 Slideshows!?!? You guys rock! :D

Thank you!