Signing Metal Prints?

BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited December 5, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hopefully the right forum, if not feel free to move as appropriatte.

I have a metal print that I am giving as a gift to my mother. So after a suggestion from the Lovely and Talented GentlyMad (the wife) that I should sign it before sending it to her, I realized I wasn't sure what would be the best way to sign it?

So if I want to sign the print do I use a Sharpie, a paint pen? It is a BayPhoto Metal Print.:scratch

Thanks
-=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact

Comments

• liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Re: Signing Metal Prints?
    Good question! Just got my first metal print from bay photo, so I would like to hear some opinions on this.
    Did you try asking bay photo?
    Mark

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 28, 2010
    A UNI Paint pen would work.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    A UNI Paint pen would work.

Thanks. Couldn't find one at my office mega low mart supply place, but found Sharpie brand extra fine point paint pens. And it is going to my mom, so even if I butcher it...... which I did cause of my handwriting. However the pen was much finer than expected and the practice stuff worked fine. The smoothness of the metal is what kind of threw me.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    Hopefully the right forum, if not feel free to move as appropriatte.

I have a metal print that I am giving as a gift to my mother. So after a suggestion from the Lovely and Talented GentlyMad (the wife) that I should sign it before sending it to her, I realized I wasn't sure what would be the best way to sign it?

So if I want to sign the print do I use a Sharpie, a paint pen? It is a BayPhoto Metal Print.headscratch.gif

Thanks

I have been using a Pilot Acid Free Paint pen in Gold and Silver for many years.....these are not the gold or silver you can get at walmart, office depox (max) or other discount or office supply companies.........I got to an art supply here (not a michaels or hobby lobby either) or blue print company here........they run approx $12 each here and I buy 1 or 2 of each per year.......it takes a bit of practice to get the hang of how to get the paint flowing....but they work great for me.

The Key is to make sure what every you are using is ACID FREE......sharpies are not and most inks have a deteriorating agent (acid) in them (all but India ink I believe)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• grickettsgricketts Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Signing Bay Photo Metal Prints
    I received a 16x24 aluminum metal print from Bay Photo yesterday. This process is extraordinary! The photograph is sharp, with an almost three dimensional look. I took it to the gallery and they were blown away by it, studying it from all sides like a painting.

Then they said, "How do you plan to sign these?" I said I would get back to them on that.

So, out there in Smug land, have any of you signed one of these metal prints and if so, how?

I looked at some permanent markers, but I'm not sure that's the way to go—for one thing too thick. I want something fine, permanent, and subtle.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary Ricketts
    http://gricketts.smugmug.com
    www.gricketts.com
    "The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." Ansel Adams
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    The Key is to make sure what every you are using is ACID FREE......sharpies are not and most inks have a deteriorating agent (acid) in them (all but India ink I believe)

Sharpie does make a version of their marker that is safe for CD/DVD's. I would assume that would have to be acid free? Might be an easier marker to find.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    I am very interested in the metal prints after seeing them...I wonder if a quick call to Bay Photo would answer the signing them inquiry?
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
    edited July 27, 2010
    Called Bay Photo
    gecko0 wrote: »
    I am very interested in the metal prints after seeing them...I wonder if a quick call to Bay Photo would answer the signing them inquiry?

Great solution!

l just called Bay Photo. They said to use a pen made by Bic called Markit. It is fine point permanent ink.

The next trick is to find the pen; most likely an art supply store.

If I am successful with this, I post an update.

Gary Ricketts
    www.gricketts.com
    "The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." Ansel Adams
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    gricketts wrote: »
    Great solution!

l just called Bay Photo. They said to use a pen made by Bic called Markit. It is fine point permanent ink.

The next trick is to find the pen; most likely an art supply store.

If I am successful with this, I post an update.

Gary Ricketts

They're actually really easy to find... around here you can get them at the grocery store in the kids art aisle. I've seen them at several craft, scrapbooking and art supply stores as well. Not to mention target, wallmart, amazon, overstock... http://www.google.com/products?q=buy+Bic+Markit&hl=en&aq=f
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    cabbey wrote: »
    They're actually really easy to find... around here you can get them at the grocery store in the kids art aisle. I've seen them at several craft, scrapbooking and art supply stores as well. Not to mention target, wallmart, amazon, overstock... http://www.google.com/products?q=buy+Bic+Markit&hl=en&aq=f

And I should mention, the downside to the Markit is going to be that it's just (acid free archival) ink. If you're trying to sign on a dark image like Bradford Benn was... they're not likely to help much. The paint pen solution then becomes the answer.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited July 28, 2010
    Thanks
    cabbey wrote: »
    And I should mention, the downside to the Markit is going to be that it's just (acid free archival) ink. If you're trying to sign on a dark image like Bradford Benn was... they're not likely to help much. The paint pen solution then becomes the answer.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Gary Ricketts
    www.gricketts.com
    edited August 26, 2010
    Acid Free Paint Pens for Signing Photos
    just had to replace my gold paint pen and what my art store is carrying now is Pilot Gold / Silver markers in extra fine point for $3.49 each
    They are acid free and wil write on most surfaces...they efven have an instruction sheet with them.......each pen is in a nice pull apart plastic storage tube.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 26, 2010
    What's with all the......periods?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    What's with all the......periods?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

that, or else he is using morse code between sentences ... .. . ..... .. .. . ........ .. . :D
    Todd - My Photos
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    I'm about to start offering these myself and might have some going up in a gallery clap.gif

So the question.....has anyone tried using a micron pen to sign them? I'm thinking about signing the back but I just want to make sure it wont smudge off.
    edited November 30, 2010
    Why sign the back?????........all art work I have seen is signed on the front......also serves as a sure fire notice to any one asked to make a copy that it is a pro piece of work.....I stamp the back of my prints with studio name, address and phone number also.....but signature on front is either gold or silver.

edited December 3, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Why sign the back?????........all art work I have seen is signed on the front......also serves as a sure fire notice to any one asked to make a copy that it is a pro piece of work.....I stamp the back of my prints with studio name, address and phone number also.....but signature on front is either gold or silver.

These are pieces to go up in a gallery so that is not a concern, my issue is I will be printing to the corners and they would go up as just the print itself (usually I would sign the matte) and do not want to have my signature over the image itself being a distraction/covering details.
    edited December 3, 2010
    I never understood the signing of the mat....painters and other artists sign the print it self....but each has to decide what is best for themselves.....
    I do not know if the Pigma Microns are acid (at least there archival pens are)......but no one carries them here in ICT.....but are very fine pointed

• NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    Guys if you are going to sign a print, it must be acid free otherwise it can destroy your piece in years to come. Please take is seriously if you are not. Thanks for the link to the Pilot pens, I'm going to pick up a set.
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2010
    I'm not sure if acid free or not would have much of an impact on a metal print. They appear pretty durable and I think you're actually only touching a gloss overcoat anyhow. However, most pens will smear on metal prints, so quick drying permanence is going to be more important than acid content.

The metal prints are way cool. I'm trying to convince my wife that one of our walls needs a dozen 8x12s.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
    edited December 4, 2010
    I'm not sure if acid free or not would have much of an impact on a metal print. They appear pretty durable and I think you're actually only touching a gloss overcoat anyhow. However, most pens will smear on metal prints, so quick drying permanence is going to be more important than acid content.

The metal prints are way cool. I'm trying to convince my wife that one of our walls needs a dozen 8x12s.

Have you mounted any in frames yourself? My thought right now is if it is a rectangle roughly the thickness of the glass (I don't get my tests till Wednesday so anyone could check that out it would be a huge help to my planning) that normally would go over a print I could set up a frame and just put it directly in.
    edited December 4, 2010

Actually acid free is of the utmost importance to preserve your investment.....one could do it with oil or acrylic paint and a brush ......the Pilots I use do dry quickly and are paint not ink the Pigma Microns are ink...but still acid free according their website.......

• daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    Have you mounted any in frames yourself? My thought right now is if it is a rectangle roughly the thickness of the glass (I don't get my tests till Wednesday so anyone could check that out it would be a huge help to my planning) that normally would go over a print I could set up a frame and just put it directly in.

These don't go in frames. These are metal prints -- they clang when you tap them. Not metallic paper. These don't roll, don't fold, don't bend without a machine shop. They come with a mounting bracket on the back so they float off the wall. The photo is in the metal, under a gloss coat.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
    edited December 5, 2010
    These don't go in frames. These are metal prints -- they clang when you tap them. Not metallic paper. These don't roll, don't fold, don't bend without a machine shop. They come with a mounting bracket on the back so they float off the wall. The photo is in the metal, under a gloss coat.

Oh I know that, Bay offers them in a deep frame though and something might that could look good.