Options

When Everything Clicks (14 pics)

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited June 26, 2010 in Weddings
Sometimes...when everything is just right, you come up with a wedding that defines you, maybe RE-defines what you do....This is that wedding.

902541211_MLx3a-L.jpg

902545829_Qe3ag-L.jpg

902567769_Vizcg-L.jpg

902580443_ZprSX-L.jpg

902610946_i9tNS-L.jpg

902632916_FR7rD-L.jpg

902652797_DaAmo-L.jpg

902653721_HPjQQ-L.jpg

902666688_WtLiG-L.jpg

902684693_wvfqb-L.jpg

902685913_nf2Ra-L.jpg

902688773_hgEQ4-L.jpg

902707325_pwZM6-L.jpg

904945394_N83ft-L.jpg

C&C/questions always welcome and appreciated...

REALLY busy editing my first wedding that I hired a second photographer for, this wedding is WOW...best shabby chic/crafty wedding ever. Awesome...but a ton of work.

Comments

• Options
    dahn8dahn8 Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Great stuff! :) My favorites are 6, 11, 13, and 14.

Would it be possible to clone out the people in the background of 13? It's a great shot (i love the stillness and the emotion in it) but i feel it can be even stronger if the only people in the photo were the bridge and groom.
  • Options
    BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Awesome set!

I think 13 is personal pref but I really like having the people in it. Kind of shows that they have a moment together while others are still around.

Wonderful job!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Fully agree Jason... some of the best I have seen from you in a fair bit. GREAT set! 7, 11, 13 and 14 are my faves, and IMHO those should just slip right into your portfolio now! 8 is awesome for them but probably not one for the port. Maybe 10 too... that is some crafty flare in that one. 12 is oddly attractive to me too... something haunting/errie about it. Makes you wonder why her hands are like that.

Pure emotion, nice comps, dead nuts exposures... really nice my friend. How did you light 13? is that a fooosh? Perfect balance of subject lighting with the sunset... just stellar!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    Fully agree Jason... some of the best I have seen from you in a fair bit. GREAT set! 7, 11, 13 and 14 are my faves, and IMHO those should just slip right into your portfolio now! 8 is awesome for them but probably not one for the port. Maybe 10 too... that is some crafty flare in that one. 12 is oddly attractive to me too... something haunting/errie about it. Makes you wonder why her hands are like that.

Pure emotion, nice comps, dead nuts exposures... really nice my friend. How did you light 13? is that a fooosh? Perfect balance of subject lighting with the sunset... just stellar!

Matt

Thanks Matt,

13 was just after we were out on the beach, I had my sunpak 622 in a brolly box and I put it on the right side there. Exposure was easy as it was almost exactly what I had been shooting outside on the beach for sunset. White tent, single off camera light source, frame and wait for them to revolve. I lucked out because pretty much all the guests were still outside enjoying the tail end of the sunset.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Overall nice work:

#2 captures emotion well.

#13 I really like this one. It evokes a warm deep feeling for these two.

One nit I have is the tilted images. For me I think your straight images covey the day better.

Sam
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    You know Jason, I've never been a fan of the Dutch Tilt, but I have to disagree with Sam here - I think it works in every one of these example images. Great series!

I also took a quick look at your blog and saw several that I think would have worked better without the tilt. In particular, the table shot (#10) in the Silver Swan Bayside series would have been far better as a straight-on shot.

I recognize a couple of your locations, too; I have been to a few weddings at Michaels 8th Ave, and I had a cousin who got married at the Tremont. His photog took the bridal party to Federal Hill for their portrait shots between the ceremony and reception, and they turned out pretty nice.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    13 made me stop scrolling to p[ause on it..awesome. PLEASE clonse out those folks in the back!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    Interesting - #10 is the one that stopped me!

For #13 I would actually suggest a square crop rather than cloning the people out.

But what do I know - I shoot sports :)

Beautiful set! Congrats.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2010
    Thanks for the comments all....

I think I first saw our own Andy Williams describe 30 degrees as "Happy Tilt" and it either makes you happy...or not. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    7 for me, with a sidebet on 14.

Beautiful set, all round, Blur thumb.gif
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    I certainly don't always like a tilt. Many times it ruins an image because it is pointless other than just a tilt to tilt. My theroy on it, or I should say the times when I appreciate it is when it helps the image along. In 11, the shot of dad throwing his head back laughing, is a perfect example of a well done tilt to my eye. He is already throwing his head back and Jason turned WITH him (meaning timing not direction) to exaggerate what he was already doing. Brilliant I say!!! 11 also has brilliant use of wide angle distortion which further exaggerated the expression and mood IMHO. #2 is almost the same thing. He is going with the motion and exaggerating the mood. 3 goes unnoticed to me and seems very natural. 6 appeals to me far less although he was doing the same sort of thing but the motion is heading out of the frame instead of into it as well as disrupting the distinct water/sky horizon, but he is now using tilt to fill the corner of the frame with the subject which is great. This isn't terrible to my eye but maybe not ideal. In the kiss at the head table shot he is placing his horizon on their shoulders as the groom leans into her. To me this separates them more as the subject and adds interest to the shot. IMHO that would have been a little better if the background was bathed in bokeh to take out some of the obvious tilt in the horizon, but not poorly done or randomly done to me.

I see so many tilts that seem random and destructive to the images... these look fine to me. Now I'll still argue the dress through the doorway shot with you Jason, but these are great and IMHO the shot of Dad laughing wouldn't be half the shot it is if it wasn't tilted.

To each their own though... this isn't meant to be gospel but simply my tilt on the subject. I know... lame pun :D

Matt

*edit*... I appologise I am having a hard time verbalizing this! edited for clarity!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    13....Rawks! ("Rocks" but in a cooler way! :D) DO NOT clone out the people in the BG!! THe couple is sharing a moment DESPITE the amazing sunset, DESPITE the people around them, DESPITE...a n y t h i n g. As is....is just fine!
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    #10 was my stopper. Completely love that shot, including the flare. (ala David Beckstead)
    Great set! Exposures look amazing, and the emotions are well captured, and I know they will LOVE these photos. Bravo.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog