Options

Erich's family vacation

erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
edited September 14, 2005 in Landscapes
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted (you may or may not have noticed). I've spent the last two weeks on vacation with my family. We got in the car and drove a grand total of 3,348 miles for a whopping 60+ hours in the car. :huh It was worthwhile though. We saw grand locations from Big Sur to Mount Saint Helens and Crater Lake. We drove from Orange County, CA all the way up Pacific Coast Highway to northern Oregon, cut over to Portland and headed up to Seattle where we spent a couple of days with our extended family. We then drove down through the Columbia River Gorge and down the East Side of the Cascade Mountains through Gold Country in Northern California.

As you can imagine, I took LOTS of pictures. I figured I post some of them here since most were landscapes/cityscapes but maybe there's a better forum. Here are some shots from Days 1 and 2....

Day 1: As you know, traveling with kids you need to plan on a lot of stops along the way (not to mention the wife...:wink ). On our way to San Luis Obispo (SLO), we stopped at Refugio State Beach north of Santa Barbara. The boys just had to start throwing rocks at the first body of water they saw. Here's a shot of them having a go at it:

33019505-L.jpg

Later, we stopped at Pismo Beach. Nice area. Very quaint with a nice beach park. However, we started getting glimpses of the gloom that plagues the central coast during this time of summer. We would be in the fog all the way up to Eureka except for minor glimpes of the sun here and there. Here's a view of the beach from the pier.

33019595-L.jpg

The gloom never stops surfing though...

33019639-L.jpg

You can see more shots from Day 1 at http://hbphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/748913/1/33019607.

Day 2: We departed SLO to head to Santa Cruz. My wife and I were looking forward to some great sights along the drive through Big Sur. The boys just couldn't wait to get to ride rollercoasters at the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz. We first stopped at Morro Bay. I took this shot from the harbor.

33023254-L.jpg

Along the way (just north of Morro Bay) we saw a bunch of elephant seals. I couldn't believe how loud these things could be. You can hear them for miles.

33023265-L.jpg

And here are some sights from the coast drive...

33023185-L.jpg

33023194-L.jpg

33023201-L.jpg

Well...I have to get going for now but I will post more shots as I get them processed. If you want to see more shots from Day 2 you can check out http://hbphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/749061

Thanks for looking!

Erich

Comments

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    Nice set of shots, Erich. I especially like the second one (the crowded beach in the clouds) and the last one.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Some more shots of Day 2
    OK. We finished out Day 2 at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Great place to take the kids for some fun. Lots of rides and games and it's right on the beach!

Here's a couple of views from the ferris wheel.

33163366-M.jpg

33163372-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Erich
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    Nice set of shots, Erich. I especially like the second one (the crowded beach in the clouds) and the last one.
    Thanks Marlof...I appreciate your comments.
  • Options
    FrancoisFrancois Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    I love fog.... so call me 'depressing'... ne_nau.gif The fishing trawler is very nice... and yes, the last shot is good as well. Beautiful area !
    Francois A. Dumas
    Founder
    Silver Cloud Publishing
    fssupport.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    Day 03: San Francisco/Bay Area
    Here are some shots from Day 3. Passed through San Francisco and of course had to go and check out the Golden Gate Bridge. Here's a popular vantage point...the fog was quite thick that day. This was not too far past noon.

33315587-L.jpg

And a shot of the harbor from the bridge....

33315584-L.jpg

We managed to find some sun and had a picnic at the Point Reyes Park.

33315590-L.jpg

And here's a portrait of my younger son. He was quite happy perched up on the rocks.

33315594-L.jpg

Cheers,

Erich
  • Options
    KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Great series!
    Hi Erich,

Great pictures, looks like a very beautiful part of the world that I would love to see as well. I really like the 2nd picture of "sights from the coast drive" - the one with the fence post in the foreground and the beach/cliffs in the body of the picture. Of course the Golden Gate bridge photo is spectacular and will look really stellar blown up on your wall. By the way, what camera/lenses are you shooting with?

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif & welcome back!
    Kevin K.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    KevinKal wrote:
    Hi Erich,

Great pictures, looks like a very beautiful part of the world that I would love to see as well. I really like the 2nd picture of "sights from the coast drive" - the one with the fence post in the foreground and the beach/cliffs in the body of the picture. Of course the Golden Gate bridge photo is spectacular and will look really stellar blown up on your wall. By the way, what camera/lenses are you shooting with?

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif & welcome back!
    Kevin K.
    Thanks Kevin.

I shot all of these with a Canon Digital Rebel SLR. I used my new Canon 17-40mm f/4 L lens for most of these. The shot of the elephant seals I took with a cheapy Quantarray 70-300mm telephoto.

Erich
  • Options
    Blues fanBlues fan Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    #6 is my favorite. I love the bridge, mountain, and water.
    [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]_________________________
    -Gil-

[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]My world of photography[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2005
    Day 04: Redwood Forest/Crescent City
    Okay...I'm falling behind on these photos. Will be catching up tonight but I thought I go ahead and post this sunset shot. I got this just outside the hotel room we were staying. Wonderful spot.

33433078-L.jpg

Erich
  • Options
    keving54keving54 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    Okay...I'm falling behind on these photos. Will be catching up tonight but I thought I go ahead and post this sunset shot. I got this just outside the hotel room we were staying. Wonderful spot.

Erich

Erich,

These are wonderful images. Can you tell me if you do any special post processing? The lighting seems to 'jump out' and they are very well exposed. Enjoyed looking at these!
    Regards,
    Kevin
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2005
    keving54 wrote:
    Erich,

These are wonderful images. Can you tell me if you do any special post processing? The lighting seems to 'jump out' and they are very well exposed. Enjoyed looking at these!
    Regards,
    Kevin
    Thanks Kevin!

My post-processing workflow is as follows:

1. Convert to RAW images to DNG using DxO Optics software. This removes the lens' optical distortions and blur. Works really great. Check out their website at www.dxo.com.
    2. Use Camera RAW in Photoshop to do exposure adjustments. I usually underexpose my shots because digital has more latitude in the shadows. That means I tend to "push" the exposure about 1 to 1.5 stops in Photoshop. I also take care of any color corrections or white balance issues in this step.
    3. I then use Photoshop to adjust contrast and saturation. I typically use Curves to improve contrast using the typical "S-curve". I also use a trick I learned in "Luminous Landscape" website for local contrast enhancement. Basically use sharpening at large pixel scale to improve contrast a bit. You can check this technique out at: http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml. I use the Hue/Saturation tool for small amount of saturation increase. If I want to get a lot of saturation (so that it gets the Velvia film type of look) I'll use the color mixer and bump up each color channel to 144% and dropping the others to by -22% to offset. I use layers so then I reduce the opacity as needed. Typicall down to 50-70%.
    4. Depending on the shot, I may do a little extra sharpening with Photoshop Unsharp Masking. Typically 300%, 0.3 pixels, 0 to 8 threshold.
    5. Convert to 8 bit.
    6. Save as JPEG using level 10 compression.

If you don't have Photshop you can still get a lot of this done with most image processing software.

I appreciate your comments and hope this helps.

Erich
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2005
    Here are some more shots of day 4. Yes, I'm continually falling behind but I'm not giving up!

Here's a shot I took of my son at the Samoa's Cookhouse near Eureka, CA. Great place. You show up and they serve you all you can eat. No menu, just breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The place used to be a cafeteria for the lumberjacks. Can you tell he was thrilled?

33805333-L.jpg

Here's a shot of Hwy 101 going through the Redwood National Forest. These trees are majestic. Don't think the capture really does it justice but it's something at least.

33805327-L.jpg

We managed to hit some of the trails.... Here are my two sons making their way back from one of them.

34163875-L.jpg

Here's the famous Paul Bunyan. The boys liked climbing all over him. They were surprised when he talked to them and had a conversation!

34172643-L.jpg

We spent the night in Crescent City, CA. Nice little town. We were fortunate to have this view from our balcony. (The sunset shot previously posted was from the same place).

34172620-L.jpg

Erich
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. I especially enjoyed the photos from day 3-(golden gate bridge with the fog), and day 4( the two tiny images walking along the trail of the forest.)

Michal
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2005
    Day 05: Southern Oregon Coast
    We finally made it to Oregon on the 5th day. Coastal Oregon is beautiful and we were blessed with a retreat of the fog that hung over most of Northern California. One of the nice things about Oregon is that all beaches are State Parks. There are quite a large number of vistas along the way. The first place we stopped at was The Samuel H. Boardman State Park. This is a great place for hiking with lots of of steep climbs but all done through lush forests and next to the Coast so weather is pleasant year-round. We managed to venture out just far enough to enjoy a bit of this great park. Here's a view of one of many natural coves in this area....

34876772-L.jpg

After this we stopped at Cape Sebastian which I believe is hailed as the Westernmost spot in the continental USA. The winds here were roaring (I estimate at least 80-100 mph). Here's a shot of my wife just trying to get out of the car...her hair immediately flew up in the air.

35023974-L.jpg

We then stopped at a small beach just south of Gold Beach. Very nice spot. Quiet sandy white area with lots of room to run. Here's a panoramic shot:

34876922-L.jpg

We stayed in Florence that evening but before heading to the hotel we stopped at one of the vista points overlooking the great Oregon Sand Dunes. These has traditionally been a haven for dune-buggies and other offroad rec vehicles but it's starting to get more attention as a unique ecological entity.

34876859-L.jpg

Next up: Northern Oregon Coast.

Erich
  • Options
    thdizzythdizzy Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2005
    Erich...What wide lens were you using when you shot the harbor that lies on the north-eastern side of the GG bridge?

Thanks!
    Todd Disraeli - Star, Idaho

Disraeli Photography

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river poisoned, and the last fish been caught will we realize we cannot eat money" Cree Indian Proverb
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2005
    thdizzy wrote:
    Erich...What wide lens were you using when you shot the harbor that lies on the north-eastern side of the GG bridge?

Thanks!
    I used a Canon 17-40 mm f/4L lens for that shot. Most of the pictures I've posted here were taken with the same lens.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2005
    auraflora wrote:
    Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. I especially enjoyed the photos from day 3-(golden gate bridge with the fog), and day 4( the two tiny images walking along the trail of the forest.)

Michal
    Thanks Michal...I appreciate your comments very much.

Erich
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2005
    Day 06: Northern Oregon Coast
    We left Florence on Day 6 and drove up the coast to Cannon Beach where we watched the sunset and ate dinner at. We ended up taking a late night drive into Portland and staying in the city.

Here's a shot of the famous Heceta Head Lighthouse. I took this one from the Sea Lion's Cave parking lot.

35709771-L.jpg

Here's a view of the Oregon Coast Highway from one of the many excellent vantage points up and down the coast. We really loved the scenery!

35378783-L.jpg

We stopped for lunch at Mo's Seafood Restaurant in the small and quaint coastal town of Otter Crest. The food was excellent and the beer icy cold.

35378787-L.jpg

After lunch we stopped at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and had some ice cream. The place was pretty cool except for the very prevalent cow smell.... After the factory we headed up to Cannon Beach. We were lucky enough that it was a Thursday so it wasn't crowded at all. Here are a couple of shots from this wonderful beach (we could definitely see why it is so popular).

35378772-L.jpg

35968450-O.jpg
    (By the way...all those specs of dust-looking things are actually birds. There were tons of them flying around the rock. They are clearly seen in the original picture.)

You can see more of the trip at http://hbphoto.smugmug.com/Vacation/104610

Thanks for looking!

Erich
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2005
    Day 07: Mt. Saint Helens
    Day 7 we visited Mt. Saint Helens. What an amazing place. I was quite surprised by the sheer magnitude of the destruction that resulted from the 1980 eruption. It's quite another matter to experience something like this than to watch it on TV documentaries or these photographs for that matter. The monument is well-kept and several interpretive sites are available. For more on this park check out http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/.

Here's a view from the Johnson observatory. This is the site that the geologist that first noted the explosion was at. He was completely disintegrated by the explosion.

35977435-L.jpg

We took a ride on a helicopter and flew as close as we could to the top of the volcano. That gave us a vantage point where you can see smoke coming out from the recent activity that is still going on here....

35977450-L.jpg

Erich
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2005
    I'm wondering if this post is just getting too long.... Maybe I should be posting less snapshots on different threads?

Erich
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    I'm wondering if this post is just getting too long.... Maybe I should be posting less snapshots on different threads?

Erich
    That's up to you, but I think it's fine to keep posting them here.

BTW, Great shots.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.