Options

>>> heatherfeather, People Photo Challenge #8 & #10 winner

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited August 29, 2010 in People
Heatherfeather won the people photo challenge #8: Summer Lovin' AND people photo challenge #10: Selfportrait.

WHO ARE YOU? Heather Dunn = wifey, mommy, wedding photographer and all purpose household help.:giggle
746683456_eKzuC-XL.jpg

WHEN DID YOU JOIN DGRIN? March 2007; but I was much too chicken to post much at first.
824420792_RyM6Z-XL.jpg

770981435_HeAqc-XL.jpg

WHICH FORUM(S) DO YOU FREQUENT MOST? People... always People. And then it branched into weddings and I drift back and forth. As a side note: I read almost every single post while working on wedding photos or waiting for actions to work their magic. You guys keep me from death by photoshop boredom... lol:giggle
850818709_nUfLa-XL.jpg

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY? It all started back in HS yearbook... I had a film Minolta P&S with a zoom that I loved and took really terrible photos with. And then I got my first SLR in 2000... it was a film Rebel XT2000. One day I added up all the charges for developing film from the photos I had taken that year and was amazed that I had spent several thousand dollars in just a few months. Going digital really made sense after that. Actually, I used to be a paper and glue scrapbooker, and the need for better photos of my kids to use is what made me get more and more interested in photography.
894535532_r2oRf-XL.jpg

DID YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOGRAPHY TRAINING? I did take a darkroom class in college, but that was after I had already started my cozy relationship with photoshop. It made me crazy to spend so much time dodging and burning the old fashioned way when I could go home and click a few buttons and make it happen so quickly. My prof and I would get into it with the old "film vs. digital" debate. Funny thing is... he now teaches digital photography at the college... and the college hired ME to shoot their promo stuff. :rofl But mostly... I learned from books, trial and error + practice, and YOU GUYS.:lust
837153670_WN328-XL.jpg

WHAT EQUIPMENT DO YOU HAVE/USE? Canon stuff... It sure gets heavy. :roflA gripped 5DMII; a gripped 5D classic; 70-200L 2.8 IS; 24-70L 2.8; 24-105L; 35L; A bunch of 580EXIIs; 480EXII; STE2 X2; lightstands, brollys and a ton of miscellaneous other stuff like gels, polarizers, sandbags, & Fongs. I recently gave my Rebel XT and 28-135 to my 9 year old daughter. :D When she shoots something other than 10,000 photos of the dog, it is super fun to see what she comes up with..
725375781_zb2Be-XL.jpg

347319355_KFN6w-XL.jpg

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE THING/SUBJECT/PLACE TO PHOTOGRAPH? I love people. Every singe person is interesting and beautiful. I love the variety of colors of skin and eyes and body types and hair and clothes. So naturally I love to take photos of people. You can take a gorgeous photo of a sunset or a mountain and I'll like it. But, put a person with a great expression and some nice lighting and it just makes it so much better for me. My favorite place to shoot is Alaska, since we happen to have the most beautiful scenery and the most beautiful people...anywhere. (Plus, I live here. It helps to be thankful.)
770980899_43pSU-XL.jpg

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PHOTO? Seriously? It depends on the day... I love photos of my kids. My thought is that there are just too many photos and not enough wall space.
840393698_3L4u4-XL.jpg

770987001_6jLa5-XL.jpg

WHAT'S THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU PHOTOGRAPHY WISE? Probably 1/2 a dozen times, Jeff Mann made me repeat after him this phrase: "I am a GOOD photographer, and I know EXACTLY what I am doing." I think he realized that what I struggled with the most was confidence... So often I felt as though I was faking it... the wannabe that can trick folks into hiring her. I thought photographers had some mystical knowledge and abilities to get every single photo perfect. But there is still so much more to learn. Meanwhile, my skills are enough to do what I need and run a pretty successful photography business. But don't even ask to look at my culled photos.
614649795_TCjmN-XL.jpg

WHAT'S THE ONE THING/ADVICE THAT YOU WANT TO GIVE OTHER'S? Study light. It is the basis of every single photo. Figure out how it works and how to manipulate it.
705070433_8FBfW-XL-2.jpg

WHO/WHAT ARE YOUR BIGGEST INFLUENCES IN PHOTOGRAPHY? To be perfectly honest, I don't spend a whole lot of time looking at the work of the masters... I find a photo I love, and then figure out how it was made and then try to make one of my own.
650162659_qxncX-XL.jpg

SO WHAT ABOUT YOUR WINNING ENTRY? Memorial Day weekend we went camping. I was having a blast experimenting with "shooting from the toes". I took a whole series of photos of my daughter and niece from an inch or so above the ground / mud / lake / stream without looking through the viewfinder. There were lots of tossers, (missed focus, horizon totally screwed) but the good ones were so fun and flairey in the late evening light (it was about 9:30pm) I had a hard time choosing which to use. Specs: 5Dclassic 24-70L 2.8 at 2.8, 1/1250th, 24mm, ISO 400.

Here are a sampling of few of the other keepers:
902828480_K7VdA-XL.jpg

If you want to see more of Heather's work, go to her website: http://www.ambiencephotographyalaska.com/. Comments? questions? post them here!

For more info on the people photo challenges, go here.

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    What a glorious collection of photographs. Wonderful bio Fred....it's great to get to know you more each day! These images are fabulous...in fact, I'm going to sell my camera....geez....phenominal!

Congrats!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    LOVE that last collage, and all the rest. So beautiful. Makes me want to shoot and practice and shoot and practice...and for that, I thank you for sharing yourself here!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I love how your "late evening" is considered 9:30! Guess I'm just used to being WAY closer to the equator, our sun is DOWN and it's almost dark by 9 in the summer.

Great shots, as always, Heather. Completely stunning!!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    .....aaaaah!!!!mwink.gif

It's SO satisfying to have the shot you voted for win!:D

Seriously Heather...er Fred....or whatever it is this week.....THAT shot was a great capture.....but after seeing the composite I think you probably had a hard time deciding which to enter....as they were all great.

....and how could ANYONE view the examples you've posted of your work here and not agree that you are a very talented photographer?ne_nau.gif

Now....

Repeat After Me....

"I am...."

" a very talented photographer...."

"...and I know EXACTLY....What I am doing!!!"

For Sure!
    Thanks for sharing the photographs...AND a little sumthin sumthin about Heather!thumb.gif

Congrats!:D
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    So great to read more about you and see some of your work I hadn't before. Always a huge fan of yours. You ARE a great photographer. thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Heather is one of the people I want to be when I grow up. :D

I particularly like this (since it describes pretty much where I'm at most of the time): "I thought photographers had some mystical knowledge and abilities to get every single photo perfect."

Awesome shots, awesome "interview", awesome YOU. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    COMPLETELY amazing work Heather!!!! You rock! Love EVERY single one of those photos and it was a pleasure reading your interview :)
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Amazing and diverse set of images, and wonderful insights! clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 19, 2010
    You so rock! I am glad to say "I live in the same city as Heather!" Congrates on your win!

ps...I love the Hatcher's Pass photo...sweet lighting on those mountians! Also I loved your whole set of Kathy and Gary. Matter of fact...I love all your work!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Thanks to everyone for your nice comments and encouragement! Sorry I didn't thank you all earlier... my life has been swamped, but now I might have a few days for a bit of a breather!

@Steve: Don't you dare! Your inspiration is such a help to us! I really do wish I could come and learn some of the lighting mysteries you master.:D

@Elaine: Thank you! I just love what you do too... in fact I find myself attempting to duplicate some of your stuff that you take of your adorable little son. So sweet!

@L.K: That was a couple weeks ago... and now the sun doesn't go down very much at all today (summer solstice) I know for a fact that it gets twilight-ey around 2 and then begins to brighten. It sure makes for fun evenings! We dont' sleep much in the summer... but make up for it in the winter! :D (Thanks for the comps!)

@Jeff: Thanks so much for always encouraging growth. You really are the greatest.iloveyou.gif

@Llewellen: Awwww thanks! It is so sweet to have photographers with work that I adore tell me I am getting there! :Diloveyou.gif

@Diva: And when I grow up I want to have your abiltiy to absorb and learn so quickly. So jealous of that skill of yours. (Thank you!)

@Kidzmom: Thank you!iloveyou.gif

@Andrew: Thanks!thumb.gif

@Joyce: Thanks! We'll have to get together again in the fall!iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    Oh sneaky feather!! you are one of my dgrin heroes. your work is SO beautiful, you should see me how excited I get whenever your name pops up in a new thread.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your style! Way to go!! clap.gif
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Congratulations! You are an amazing photographer!
    Kristen
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Wow. Just wow. That is the best portfolio of portraits I've ever seen.
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Go Heather! Way to represent Alaska! Great work and let me know when you are going to start teaching so I can sign up!
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    clap.gif Congrats, and beautiful work.
  • Options
    imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Simply gorgeous!

Thanks for the info---really helps in "getting-to-know" fellow dGrinners! Also, thanks for the reminder regarding confidence... I know that is one of my biggest challenges!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • Options
    jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Absolutely beautiful!

John
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited July 10, 2010
    I love your work. You've always got more in the photo than the subject and you use it well. As I may have said before, looking at your photos, especially of events, I feel like I was there and I don't even know where you were :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Heather.....You need to stop saying your a "Good Photographer". It simply does not do you justice, your an AMAZING photographer! I know when I need a bit of inspiration before shooting a wedding your images are one of the few I turn to. I really hope I get the privilege of shooting with you next July!!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2010
    Just seeing this and falling in love with your work. A superstar! That's what you are!
  • Options
    tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Fantastic photos! You are my photography super hero! :D
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm