Options

>>> Discussion: Books

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited January 21, 2012 in People
Next topic: Books! What are your favorite people photography books?

What are the books that you keep going back to? the one that you learned the most from? The one that you feel everyone should read?

If you have any topics/questions that you would like discussed, please let me know :thumb

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    Anything by Dean Collins, Joe Zeltsman, Monte Zucker, Al Gilbert, Dennis Reggie, Brian DeMint, Eddie Tapp, Parket Pfister. Learn the classics then break out.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Skin
    [IMGR]http://ivar.smugmug.com/photos/903425657_jeJk6-S.jpg[/IMGR]
    I really like "Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodies", by Lee Varis.

I know there are several people who like this book, so maybe all/most of you have heard about this book already.

Varis starts out with some general (non people specific) information about hardware/software/color management. After that small section, it is where it gets more interesting. Lighting techniques, ethnicity, and lots of post processing information & examples.

The book comes with a CD; It contains the images used in the book so you can follow along with his examples if you like.
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    x2 on Skin. It's probably one of my 'better book buys'.

Michael Grecco's, Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait. Is another that keeps calling me back. I really like this guys work.

Tom Ang has a couple books out that I give the nod to.

An outfit called Photo Workshop has a series of books out. A couple of which I own but have loaned out and can't recall titles and authors of..... The one that covered exposure and composition, I thought it to be pretty darn good.

For the past year or two, I make it a habit of hitting up Chapters for a new one. This month I couldn't make up my mind and ended up walking out with, Playboy; The Celebrities. Except for Heffs foreword, it doesn't contain a lot of reading but does have some delicious imagery that dates back from the era of the mags conception, to recent works.... Nice stuff! And offers up ideas on pose, lighting, etc.

Hopefully someone will post a title that I *must* have for my next purchase.... IMO, there's a lot of crap out there.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Oooo... sounds like this is one I should have!!

I really like Scott Kelby's CS3 processing book - some good skin retouching tips.

Another book I love is

(click image for link to Amazon)
    9780817440206.jpg

which reverse-engineers a slew of famous studio portraits from the likes of George Hurrell and others. Great fun.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    500 Poses for Photographing Women (by Michelle Perkins)

51-ANJsxteL._SS400_.jpg

While I have only used a handful of the poses in the book, I usually give it to the senior girls to flip through and mark poses they like on the way to a shoot and to and from locations. Usually trying to do a pictured pose leads to something entirely different that we go with. It helps me to also understand how they picture themselves...somewhat.

There's no text. Just 500 great looking portraits from head and shoulders to full length......seated to standing. Lots of variety.

Heres a client pointing one out to me on location...

837674228_iWbuP-L.jpg
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    ^^^^ - Now there's something benificial too me! Thanks Jeff.
  • Options
    Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Light Science & Magic. It has a good section on doing portrait photography. It's a great book for helping to learn more of the why about lighting rather than. "put this light here, and shoot like this".

I'm going to look into Skin right now.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    I recently picked up a few photography books from Costco. They had a random selection of a few copies of a few books, but I ended up buying Visual Poetry: A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs by Chris Orwig. It's a great read with some great reminders and suggestions from an artistic point of view. There's probably many points that we all know, but it's great to have reminders and beautiful photographs for inspiration. He also includes interviews with other professional photographers and some great assignments to try out.
    Kristen
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    Here's a bit of serendipity: I was digging around my basement, and stumbled across a long-forgotten volume (apparently I bought it in 1988, since I had the sense to date it!). Mine is the soft-cover catalog from the exhibit at the LA Museum of Art, which it appears was subsequently turned into a published book and is apparently still available for purchase

Masters of Starlight

It's glorious. Not only page after page of wonderful photos and fascinating biographical/historical info, but they also compiled many quotes from the photographers, including some rather helpful technical comments! If it's in your library or you have a chance to look at it/get hold of it, it's a wonderful read for any portrait photographer. Great stuff.
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    Resurrecting an old thread, I'd like to ask a question about books. My first baby will be arriving this summer, and I haven't done many kid shots, and have never shot a baby at all. So, being a bookish type, I'm wondering what books anyone might suggest to get me started on ideas for how to shoots babies and kids. Probably not the single most important thing for me to learn to become a father, but something that I'd like to do (and my wife approves). Any thoughts? Good web sources instead of books?

Thanks,
    Jim
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Lee Varis has updated the original Skin book with "Skin 2". Highly recommend it (not so much if you have already digested the first one).
    I also have liked reading Joe McNally's books. They include some nice commentary as well as setup information to help visualize how the lighting is created.

+1 on the posing book Jeff mentioned, and the Light: Science & Magic book.

Also useful for setup is Kevin Kubota's "Lighting Notebook"

Color Space questions? "Color Management for Photographers" by Andrew Rodney.
    Questions about Data Management and Backup Strategies? "The DAM Book" by Peter Krough
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Anything by Dean Collins, Joe Zeltsman, Monte Zucker, Al Gilbert, Dennis Reggie, Brian DeMint, Eddie Tapp, Parket Pfister. Learn the classics then break out.

Any chance you can elaborate on specific volumes by these authors? I'm always in the market for a good book.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Any chance you can elaborate on specific volumes by these authors? I'm always in the market for a good book.

Half of these gentlemen have passed but some of their works can still be found on youtube of by doing a google on the name. Sorry I can't point to any one volume as they cover the spectrum. Especially on light and posing.

Collins was really into the technical aspet of light and really new his stuff. Too bad he passed at an early age. Monte was the old master of posing and traditional lighting. Reggis is still current and down in Atlanta at last I heard. Does alot of the Kennedy weddings and such.