Options

MORE Air Show images??? Yup!

KixxKixx Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited June 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I rented a Nikon D300S and a 300mm lens from borrowlenses.com this past weekend, and I gave them both a workout. After being somewhat disappointed with my efforts from Friday's 'rehearsal air show', I decided to go again yesterday (Sunday) and was much happier. Now, if I could only figure out what the heck I did wrong on Friday, and differently Sunday!!! I was very pleased with my rental, and the rental very likely influenced a (hopefully) soon to be made purchase! :D

1.892880739_KbEWB-L.jpg

2.891441803_mpuGU-L-1.jpg

3.891483160_VAjGH-L.jpg

4.891483458_rk8nh-L.jpg

5.892880996_oyV73-L.jpg

6.892881714_vu23e-L.jpg

7.892881555_AguYk-L.jpg

8.892880672_vkXeM-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    When I see such an obtrusive and distracting " proof " or water mark, I just quit looking. If I were that worried about photo theft, I wouldn't even put the shots up for comment.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    When I see such an obtrusive and distracting " proof " or water mark, I just quit looking. If I were that worried about photo theft, I wouldn't even put the shots up for comment.

Tom

Noted. I posted those quickly before I ran out to the store. Thought I'd changed it!
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    What changed? Hmmm. You got in some practice and the lighting maybe.
    Hard to say. I would definitely be happy with these results. They are totally
    sweet ride for the effort. thumb.gifwings.gifthumb

Tom makes a nice point about the watermark. But it is sadly, a necessary
    thing for better works. I'm sure you'll find a way to include a working mark less obtrusive. I know I battle with it and don't put up a lot of shots because of it. :D Not that I have that many things in the better works category.
    Michael
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    From what I can see with the big watermarks, these look good. Beach shows are tough to shoot - the sun seems to always be in your face, heat and humidity makes for hazy skies...did the conditions change between practice and show days?

Just one critique - on shot #8, you should have used a slower shutter speed to get some prop blur. Looking at the EXIF data from your gallery, looks like it was shot at 1/2500 - you need to be more like 1/250 for props. In fact, it looks like all your shots were at ISO 400 and shutter speeds of 1/2000 or faster. Even for jets, you don't need to be shooting that fast. On a sunny day, I'll shoot at ISO 100, f/7.1 or so, and 1/800 - 1/1250 for jets. Just be sure to pan with your subject, and you will get good results.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    moose135 wrote: »
    From what I can see with the big watermarks, these look good. Beach shows are tough to shoot - the sun seems to always be in your face, heat and humidity makes for hazy skies...did the conditions change between practice and show days?

Just one critique - on shot #8, you should have used a slower shutter speed to get some prop blur. Looking at the EXIF data from your gallery, looks like it was shot at 1/2500 - you need to be more like 1/250 for props. In fact, it looks like all your shots were at ISO 400 and shutter speeds of 1/2000 or faster. Even for jets, you don't need to be shooting that fast. On a sunny day, I'll shoot at ISO 100, f/7.1 or so, and 1/800 - 1/1250 for jets. Just be sure to pan with your subject, and you will get good results.

Conditions were pretty similar on both days, I just left it on shutter priority at 1/2500 on Sunday because on Friday when I shot at a slower speed everything just seemed to come out semi-crappy. I think because it wasn't a VR lens and I didn't use a monopod?

I've tried more than once to remove the watermarks. Seems to be removing some and leaving some, then changing. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Kixx wrote: »
    I've tried more than once to remove the watermarks. Seems to be removing some and leaving some, then changing. headscratch.gif

Do not worry about the watermarks....mine are big colorful and dead center and it still has not stopped the thieves........but I still get requests for my work from publishers.......and those requests
    have all had praises for the watermarks......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website