Options

Special Event Photos, would like your comments/suggestions

OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited August 19, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello everyone, and thanks for any input offered.

Last night I was asked to shoot a special event in 10 days, apparently I will be the only photog at this paticular stage(As far as I know). There will be 100 + singers/contestants performing. My plan right now is to have my wife (umm assistant) give each contestant a order form if they would like photos, give them choices of 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10, and Original Digital file for $25.00 each, per 1 year usage. Now Im thinking it would be easier to get the sales finalized and paid durring the 2 day event, rather than just offering sales only thru my SM pro account. Btw this is my first large event like this and want to make it as easy on myself and the customer as possible. Am I on the right track or is there a better way to do it? Any ideas, comments or suggestions are appreciated. Also, I have been asked to shoot 2 other larger events just like this later this year so I want to do it right.

Brad
Brad Fite :D
www.fitephotography.com
Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2005
    Onrey wrote:
    Original Digital file for $25.00 each, per 1 year usage.

Brad
    Brad,

Personally I wonder if thats too cheap for the file. You can't control the one year usage, once they have the file, they will use it as long as they want (read forever).

Your on the right track but you are going to have to have some way to edit, and display the photo for them there if you want them to buy them there.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2005
    An idea......
    Onrey wrote:
    Hello everyone, and thanks for any input offered.

Last night I was asked to shoot a special event in 10 days, apparently I will be the only photog at this paticular stage(As far as I know). There will be 100 + singers/contestants performing. My plan right now is to have my wife (umm assistant) give each contestant a order form if they would like photos, give them choices of 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10, and Original Digital file for $25.00 each, per 1 year usage. Now Im thinking it would be easier to get the sales finalized and paid durring the 2 day event, rather than just offering sales only thru my SM pro account. Btw this is my first large event like this and want to make it as easy on myself and the customer as possible. Am I on the right track or is there a better way to do it? Any ideas, comments or suggestions are appreciated. Also, I have been asked to shoot 2 other larger events just like this later this year so I want to do it right.

Brad
    I've been drafting a reply about the Kodak Dye Sublimation printer 1400 and having read your post thought I'd answer it first with an idea as your time is short.

I'm a great fan of Dye Sub and with recent price drops feel that for what you're going to do they are a real advantage.

You've got two days on site and if you could set up a stall you'd have plenty of time to produce prints and sell them at the event with the chance of web orders later. A managable number of people over a couple of days would make this an easy route to learn from.

The Kodak 8500, which is a better version of the cheaper but almost the same Kodak 1400, can produce an 8x10 in 75 sec's flat. This is a finished ready to sell dry print that looks like it came from a print shop. Value? $10-$25 cost $1-$2 you'll have to check your USA rates but the costs are fixed and easy to work out. I'd say you'd pay for the printer (£699 UK so probably $699 as we are always being ripped off over here)) after this one event leaving you ready for the next two events in profit. (You'd also need a couple of ribbon paper packs for 100 shots per pack)

Of course a laptop or mini computer would help...I'd print pic's near as shot having set up everything so you know the results from a jpeg file. Raw saved for later.

With my 6800 I can produce, from the moment the shutter closes to a dry 6x8 print in under 1 min.... With the 8500 the time rises to just under 2 mins for an 8x10...This is with your camera connected to the laptop. Just drop your cards to the sales area when not connected direct. Over two days with 100 people there is plenty of time to process and print.

A rubber stamp with your shot number for the back of sold shots(for re-order)
    Some small sticky labels with your details.

Just an idea, It would require an investment but I think you will be very pleased with the results.

And as an added bonus the printer pays for itself on the first outing...

The biggest question may be asking the wife to man the printer and sales area....Good luck...

The easy option is to print cards pointing to SmugMug and hand them out...

Bod...
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières