Options

>>> Llywellyn, People Photo Challenge #6 winner

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited May 26, 2010 in People
Llywellyn won the people photo challenge #6: Movement. I asked her to answer a few questions, and this is what she told me:

WHO ARE YOU? I’m not quite sure I’ve yet figured that out. :D What I do know is I work in publishing as an editor, and I am constantly chasing new creative endeavors and foreign countries to explore.
249771292_EBZTY-M.jpg
Mien

WHEN DID YOU JOIN DGRIN? WHICH FORUM(S) DO YOU FREQUENT MOST? My profile claims I joined in June 2006, but it was nearly a year before I made my first post, and that was in The DGrin Challenges. That forum was my home for a few years because it challenged me creatively and was the perfect outlet for my crazy photographic ideas. Now I spend a lot of time in People as well, as my interest has shifted from photographing things to photographing faces.
611139770_feLj5-XL.jpg
Winter Queen

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY? DID YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOGRAPHY TRAINING? An old beau began taking a photography class at a local community college, and I was intrigued by his images. I spent a lot of time drawing when I was younger, and I had been toying around with graphic art, so this new way of creating an image really piqued my curiosity. I borrowed his film camera one weekend and was immediately sucked in. He bought me my first digital camera—a little Nikon Coolpix—and I never looked back. Two years later, I took a Photography 101 class to learn more about what aperture, shutter speed, and ISO actually meant, which in turn taught me how to shoot manually (I was a full-auto gal before that). That class was, wow, three years ago now. Now I do a lot of reading, browse others’ work, and participate in workshops I find appealing for what I like to shoot. There’s always more to learn!
690317408_yeMkU-XL.jpg
The Outsider

WHAT EQUIPMENT DO YOU HAVE/USE? I got a Nikon D700 about a year ago, so I just recently sold my D80, 14-24, and 18-200. Now all I’m left with is the D700, my trusty 50/1.4, a 16mm fisheye, and a LensBaby Composer. I’m saving up to add the 24-70/2.8 as the first lens in my new dream kit. Much later (i.e., after the wallet recovers from the initial shock) the 14-24 and 70-200/2.8 will follow. Other stuff I haul around with me:
  • Nikon SB-800 flash
  • Nikon SB-600 flash
  • AlienBee 400 studio strobe
  • Radiopoppers
  • Gitzo 2530 tripod
  • Really Right Stuff (RRS) BD700-L plate
  • RRS BH-40 ballhead with B2 AS II clamp
  • Canon G10 (that goes with me everywhere, just in case)
  • IR-modded Canon PowerShot
  • Holga
  • Crumpler Whickey and Cox backpack
  • Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home
  • Plus a gabble of cords, cables, filters, SD and CF cards, batteries, chargers, and light stands and modifiers (brollies, softboxes, snoots, grids, barn doors)
  • And the surprisingly useful paint-pole light stand: http://pixsylated.com/2009/05/longarm-and-metalhead/
707456722_Ht456-XL.jpg
The Pout

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE THING/SUBJECT/PLACE TO PHOTOGRAPH? People. Especially models who allow me to dress them in strange outfits and do crazy things to their makeup and hair. I do love taking street portraits and other informal portraits as well, as I just find people’s faces eternally fascinating, but I love even more creating an image from my mind’s eye.
764849517_46yyx-XL.jpg
Madame Adventurer Extraordinaire

It’s a passion I’ve always had — illustrating for others something I’ve imagined — but my writing never could create the whole picture, and my drawing was never good enough to faithfully capture what my imagination could come up with. Photography offered the perfect marriage between my far-fetched ideas and the realization of them, so staged photography is my current snark to hunt. Followed closely by travel photography.
450798598_tR6tg-L.jpg
Timeworn Boats

846916025_bocYT-L.jpg
Notte Romana

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PHOTO? Bluh. Right now? Because, really, it always changes. When I learn something new, I begin to appreciate that skill in another’s work, so I may admire their photo because of the technical chutzpah it took to make it. Or I may become infatuated by the story of another photo. Right now, my favorite photo by another photographer is this one by Zhang Jingna, a young and insanely talented woman:

My favorite photo from my own work follows the same happenstance trend as the above; it changes almost daily. Right now, I love this one:
860561701_hddRV-XL.jpg

WHAT'S THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU PHOTOGRAPHY WISE? WHAT'S THE ONE THING/ADVICE THAT YOU WANT TO GIVE OTHER'S? It’s one and the same: Start small, and dream big.
534309769_ygoBP-XL.jpg
STS-125, Atlantis

WHO/WHAT ARE YOUR BIGGEST INFLUENCES IN PHOTOGRAPHY? I will be forever drawn to Edward Steichen and George Hurrell. WeeGee. Richard Avedon and Annie Leibovitz. Joe McNally. Chase Jarvis.
465186988_U5mu3-XL.jpg
The Waiting

SO WHAT ABOUT YOUR WINNING ENTRY? Since I love to travel, I also love learning about other cultures. Ireland obviously intrigues me because it’s part of my heritage, but I’m also fascinated by Japanese culture. A few years ago, a friend invited me to an Obon festival at a local temple I’d previously been unaware of. It was a small temple, but it was crowded and wonderful. Vendors sold bento boxes and women and children were beautifully dressed in traditional yukatas. There was music, dancing, and drumming. I stayed for hours watching, listening, and photographing. This little girl was hard to miss in her bright red yukata, but she was also eye-catching because of her enthusiasm and exuberance. She spent the evening chasing her brother, sometimes catching him and not letting him go until he found a way to escape. Then the chase would be on again. This image is a part of that game of tag, and for me it captures her perfectly. The youth, the joy, her unending movement. Since it was early evening, my shutter speed was low and there was a natural panning effect in the image. I enhanced that more in Photoshop with a motion blur filter.

235928305_PTyix-XL.jpg
Youth

If you want to see more of Llywellyn's work, go to her website: http://www.originalblackcat.com/
Comments? questions? post them here!

For more info on the people photo challenges, go here. Why not participate yourself?!?!

Comments

• Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Congrats Kerry and great bio and photos. You have an absolutely AMAZING talent and gift! I adore your work!! :D
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    Seeing a profile put together like this is really great. I love the bio along with the great photos. Nice work!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    all right Kerry!clap.gif

Ivar? is there a quick links for other winner bio's somewhere or am I totally blind?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Ivar? is there a quick links for other winner bio's somewhere or am I totally blind?
    In this sticky you will find a link to the People Photo Challenges thread. That's this one. It has links to all the interviews thumb.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    yup, I'm blind... thanks for the info!thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Kerry, congrats once again on the win, and loved the bio. Beautiful shots. Look forward to seeing more of your work!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Go Kerry! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Kerry,
    You have some seriously beautiful work.
    My favorite of yours is 'The Waiting"--stunning.bowdown.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Well done Kerry & congrats!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    You are pure inspiration. Your work is wonderful. Congratulations, Kerry.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Beautiful work and great interview Kerry! Congrats!!!