Options

Thought long and hard about this...

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited May 7, 2010 in Street and Documentary
...The posting of this image has been an interesting exercise for me. Your various comments made me rethink the image, and I was inclined to agree with the idea of cropping, and with Richard's comments about the need to bring up the cow more. So that resulted in a square crop, which brought up the woman with the toddler, and got rid of the guy eating the ice cream cone - who I find essentially uninteresting.

856775974_Jypdn-X2.jpg

But...Then I began to think about the original image, and what I find interesting in it - why I shot it in the first place. And that has everything to do with the woman's isolation from the man and older children, and little to do with the cow - which is more suggested background element - or with whether the man is amusing. I framed the image as I did initially because I see a family tableaux, and not a very happy one. I see a disconnect between the woman and the man and teenager, 'stuck' with the new child, wondering what she's doing in this picture. So when all is said and done, I'm back to the original image, because it, rather than the crop, captures what I saw - an everyday moment isolation within a family unit, the kind of everyday moment we all see, but don't see...

855449230_Kn4Ni-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    B.D., thank you.
  • Options
    cy88cy88 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Not feeling anything you said!

Sorry to be too straight up, but that's just my opinion - The shot was boring to begin with with very little to no subject isolation. Any further cropping isn't going to magically make it great. The story would be a little different if it was shot with a faster lens to great the subject isolation between the woman and the very-busy-and-uninteresting background and surrounding.

I hope I won't get nailed for expressing my honest opinion!
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2010
    cy88 wrote: »

Sorry to be too straight up, but that's just my opinion - The shot was boring to begin with with very little to no subject isolation. Any further cropping isn't going to magically make it great. The story would be a little different if it was shot with a faster lens to great the subject isolation between the woman and the very-busy-and-uninteresting background and surrounding.

Of course you won't be...We're all free to express our opinions, and they're generally worth what we're paid for them. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited May 5, 2010
    Interesting. Just to clarify, my comment in the other thread was not to suggest cropping that image, but rather, to have shot from a different point that would make the cow more prominent.

That said, I think a feeling of isolation is conveyed very well by the posture of the woman and her expression of preoccupation or perhaps simply tiredness. In fact, it isn't really clear to me that she has any connection at all with the other people, except the kid. You were there, so I'll take your word for it, but if you believe as I do that the only thing that matters is what's in the image itself, one could easily conclude that she is waiting for her husband to return to their table with some ice cream for the kid, who is pestering strangers at another table. Dunno. If you want to get philosophical about it, you might consider that reality--the present as we know it--is not to be found in an instant, but is only perceived over a short span of time. From this perspective, any frozen moment will be ambiguous, and that's why still photography lends itself to art, not just forensic science.

Wow, I got a little far from the cow this time--sorry about that. lol3.gif Oh, and I like both versions of this shot. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    cy88 wrote: »

Hopefully you'll never get nailed for expressing your opinion in this group.

Here's why I said "thank you." B.D.'s explanation isn't about the picture per se, but the content and story within in the picture. I doubt he thinks this is one of his best, but it is expressive of a family dynamic that plays out in front of many of us on a daily basis and while we register it, we manage to process it out of existence. B.D. froze that moment. There it is. Five humans connected as a family and in completely separate worlds.

And a cow.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll never get nailed for expressing your opinion in this group.

Here's why I said "thank you." B.D.'s explanation isn't about the picture per se, but the content and story within in the picture. I doubt he thinks this is one of his best, but it is expressive of a family dynamic that plays out in front of many of us on a daily basis and while we register it, we manage to process it out of existence. B.D. froze that moment. There it is. Five humans connected as a family and in completely separate worlds.

And a cow.

Thank you, Jen, and Richard - My point in reposting, and in my comments, was to express some thoughts about the image, about what we do and don't see, and about images and seeing in general. That's "all." :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    cy88cy88 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Understood!

Great to know that people here aren't being all defensive whenever the comment is not positive (like some other forums).

Cheers.
  • Options
    cube_zombiecube_zombie Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Not seeing the original thread and looking at both pics before reading the comments I really like the original..I picked up on the woman's isolation as well..I think it's a great capture :D
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    The crop changes the entire tone of the photo. It now becomes one of the forlorn woman. You lose any sense of "connect or disconnect" here. And the cow only distracts.

The original adds the connection between the people. It does appear to be a separate family with the little boy linking to them while the mother is lost in thought. It is also so out of place for her to look isolated in an ice cream parlor, which adds to the interest of the shot. As such, the man with the cone is an important element of the shot.

If you are still in "exercise mode", I would suggest exploring a square crop, taking off some from the right and left edges.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Hey BD
    I'm late to this image but will add that I really like the original (though I would crop the one guy's back on the left). Not having read about the cow in the previous thread, I would guess that the prominence of that cow depends on whether you've ever been inside a JP Licks before! For me, the cow serves to place the image and give some added context. If you've never seen that cow before, you might be inclined to place it more prominently in the image.
    Nice shot and nice dynamic you've captured.
    E

ps - hope you managed to snag a few scoops while sitting there...
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    The crop changes the entire tone of the photo. It now becomes one of the forlorn woman. You lose any sense of "connect or disconnect" here. And the cow only distracts.

The original adds the connection between the people. It does appear to be a separate family with the little boy linking to them while the mother is lost in thought. It is also so out of place for her to look isolated in an ice cream parlor, which adds to the interest of the shot. As such, the man with the cone is an important element of the shot.

If you are still in "exercise mode", I would suggest exploring a square crop, taking off some from the right and left edges.
    I agree. I yo crop just to the left of the man with cone and almost at the nose of the cow, you should get decent 'square' crop and pull it all together.thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I agree. I yo crop just to the left of the man with cone and almost at the nose of the cow, you should get decent 'square' crop and pull it all together.thumb.gif

Don

Don - and others who made this suggestion - but if we crop to the left of Tongue Man, we lose the connection between the curve of his shoulder and the curving of the shoulder of the figure to his left. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Love LOVE this photo..

It has a hint of *Vintage* to me and reminds me of a family dynamic back in the day....it was not always perfect. I immediately thought, * I wonder what she is thinking*..

Thank you for sharing it, and what you saw in it.. I absolutely LOVE this photo...

We take pictures to share how we see the world and you have done just that...thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Don - and others who made this suggestion - but if we crop to the left of Tongue Man, we lose the connection between the curve of his shoulder and the curving of the shoulder of the figure to his left. mwink.gif

And they both might own Rottweillers named "Fluffy". Sometimes you have to be BolD! ("Carpe Diem Manana") rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    And they both might own Rottweillers named "Fluffy". Sometimes you have to be BolD! ("Carpe Diem Manana") rolleyes1.gif
    Hey, I have only own cats for over 45 years! The latest is 'Sqweak'!

rolleyes1.gifrofl

To each their own. Not a shoulder man, myself....especially men's!rolleyes1.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Put it this way... I did not see any original discussion on this photo.

When I saw the first crop in this thread, I said, "hmm, that's weird, a statue of a cow inside - too bad he didn't focus on the cow but got that lady in focus".

When I saw the "original" crop, even though my eye was drawn to the cow (I think because I had already seen it in the previous crop), my very first thought was, "Wow, that lady doesn't seem very happy - and if that's her family, why are they happy and she's not?"

So, as has been said - the crop defines the photo. Not sure how somehow the "intent" of the photo got changed from the OP's original intent - to show the dynamics within the family. The cow has nothing to do with it. Whoever suggested that the crop should focus on the cow was WAAAAY off base.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    The original crop for me too. Without the rest of the context, it loses that sense that she feels invisible to and disconnected from those around her and it just becomes a portrait of a sad woman. I didn't even notice the cow in the original until someone pointed it out. It was just black and white noise in the background.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography