Options

Can we turn off Quick Reply?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited May 29, 2010 in Dgrin Forum Support
Is there any way to turn off the new Quick Reply box at the bottom of every thread. I don't use it and find it just wastes screen space when I'm trying to get to the end of a thread.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    You can hide it with this arrow:

20100504-ndb8k1nry6yimduwcyj68rm16a.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    You can hide it with this arrow:

20100504-ndb8k1nry6yimduwcyj68rm16a.jpg
    It doesn't stay collapsed when I go to the next thread so that doesn't help much. All the action is at the end of a thread so I typically hit the End key to get down there. But now there's a lot of junk down there so I have to then manually scroll to get to where I can see the end of the thread. Not an improvement in my book.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    Hm. It's staying closed for me, when I navigate to new threads. Can you give me steps to make it not stay collapsed? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    Hm. It's staying closed for me, when I navigate to new threads. Can you give me steps to make it not stay collapsed? Thanks.
    It's not staying closed for me. Firefox 3.6.3. This thread. Close the quick reply box. Then, hit refresh or navigate to any other thread. It's back open again. Other things I've closed such as the posting rules and the similar threads are staying closed, just not the quick reply.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    It's not staying closed for me. Firefox 3.6.3. This thread. Close the quick reply box. Then, hit refresh or navigate to any other thread. It's back open again. Other things I've closed such as the posting rules and the similar threads are staying closed, just not the quick reply.
    Weirdness. It stays closed for me headscratch.gif Safari/mac
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    John: which template are you using?
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    John: which template are you using?
    It stays closed in IE7 and Safari/Win, just not in Firefox. I've tried logging out and back in and clearing all dgrin cookies.

I don't know what you mean by template. In dgrin, I have a black background, gray chrome and white text.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    Weird, John. FF3.6 Mac (and Safari Mac) it stays closed. IE8 Win7, it stays closed. FF3.6 Win, it doesn't.

I'm sorry :(
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    Templates are the forum skins. There's Gallery Black, Grey Matter, Whitewash, Midnight, Sand, and Ivory Tower. Dropdown, lower left of your page.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    Templates are the forum skins. There's Gallery Black, Grey Matter, Whitewash, Midnight, Sand, and Ivory Tower. Dropdown, lower left of your page.
    Probably doesn't matter, but I'm using Gallery Black. The others seem to have the same issue. Can you report this bug to vBulletin?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    Probably doesn't matter, but I'm using Gallery Black. The others seem to have the same issue. Can you report this bug to vBulletin?
    Yup!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 4, 2010

Before we go down that path, can you collapse any of the other panes? Like "Posting Rules"? Just look for the arrow. Also, do you have any plugins that you're using with FF? Have you tried anything else (like cache refresh/swap to Gallery Black again) that might help?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    Before we go down that path, can you collapse any of the other panes? Like "Posting Rules"? Just look for the arrow. Also, do you have any plugins that you're using with FF? Have you tried anything else (like cache refresh/swap to Gallery Black again) that might help?
    I've already posted that two other ones (posting rules and similar threads) stay collapsed after I collapse them. Plus Andy sees the same issue on Firefox/Win. Plus, I see the issue on two separate computers. I've also cleared cookies and cache and that made no difference.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    I've already posted that two other ones (posting rules and similar threads) stay collapsed after I collapse them. Plus Andy sees the same issue on Firefox/Win. Plus, I see the issue on two separate computers. I've also cleared cookies and cache and that made no difference.

I'm just curious because it works for me wrt windows and FF. Not that I use either very often and they're relatively stock installs (both windows and ff).
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    I'm just curious because it works for me wrt windows and FF. Not that I use either very often and they're relatively stock installs (both windows and ff).

OK. The problem is a known bug for Firefox browser and the hiding of the Quick Reply box.

If you use the standard editor, you won't see this. However, if you have Full WYSIWG enabled, the expand collapse button won't work.

You can change your editor preferences in "You! -> edit options" in the Misc Options section. If you choose "Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls" you'll be able to expand/collapse the pane.

Sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    OK. The problem is a known bug for Firefox browser and the hiding of the Quick Reply box.

If you use the standard editor, you won't see this. However, if you have Full WYSIWG enabled, the expand collapse button won't work.

You can change your editor preferences in "You! -> edit options" in the Misc Options section. If you choose "Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls" you'll be able to expand/collapse the pane.

Sorry for the confusion.
    OK, thanks for tracking it down. Hopefully they'll fix it at some point.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2010
    askar wrote: »
    I think hes problem is not posible..
    He want to turn off quick reply? hahaha, how can we comment for anyone's post?
    Just like we always did - with the reply button.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Just like we always did - with the reply button.

That was too easy. (double meaning):D
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    You could create a user stylesheet with a rule like:
    form#qrform {display:none}

but this is a silly bug that you shouldn't have to deal with, really.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    My suggestion is turn off that stupid redundant quick reply box or move the