Options

>>> Discussion: kids portraits

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited September 1, 2010 in People
Next topic: Kids portraits! Let's stay with (young) kids (not babies, seniors, etc.) for now. We'll get to those. Let's focus on posed shots and all non-technical stuff (no processing/techniques, etc):

So, what is important when shooting kids? Poses? good locations? props (for in or out of the studio)? what about clothes? How do you deal with the kids? how do you deal with the parents? What if you have more than one? Got some examples to illustrate your ideas? ... and ... and ... :ear

If you have any topics/questions that you would like discussed, please let me know :thumb

Comments

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Baby wipes. Kids always have messy faces.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I just recently saw something that said you should give kids a prop - give them something to do, and be sure to take advantage of the first thirty seconds when they get it in their hands and are thinking about the object before they start running around again :)

I had a problem with a girl once who kept insisting on doing her own poses, which, of course, were pretty awful :D I tried to compromise and do a few of mine and then a couple of hers, but it just didn't work out. Then she kept doing crazy things with her hair even when I tried to dissuade her... * sigh * Fortunately, it was a workshop and so I didn't really owe anyone any shots, but it was definitely an eye opener. I could use some advice on how to deal with kids who insist on doing their own thing!

The other girl, Taylor, was great and knew how to really give it to the camera... it was bordering on unnerving how good she was in front of the camera! Both girls were about 6.

For the first one, we spent time on the playground and in a park, and for the other we were mostly in a small park area that abutted an empty shop. I did find that they were more sensitive to sunlight than I had realized, so there were some things that we were just unable to do because it was too bright for them.

These are a couple of shots that worked with the Taylor. They were processed before my monitor was calibrated, so just a warning :)

Taylor 1
    506283898_Bckd9-M.jpg

Taylor 2
    506581033_exeyo-M.jpg

Here are a couple shots of The Mighty Quinn... he was two and totally uninterested in me and the camera, but I think we ended up with a couple of nice shots anyway. The sandbox was good, but then it was hard to get him away from it later. We tried bubbles, but that was only partially successful :)

For this one, he was looking up at me and my reflector was being used as a diffuser right over my head so that it wouldn't be too bright for him... but it still kinda was. I like the concept of the shot, but I will need to try it a few more times before I learn all the tricks to get it right.
    Quinn 1
    555134167_L3Snf-M.jpg

He was just so happy to be in the sandbox and minding his own business :) His face could use a little more light, though... Where was my reflector buddy on this one? headscratch.gif
    Quinn 2
    517354641_xJch8-M.jpg
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I think kids between the age of 2 and 6 can be some of the toughest to shoot for a formal type of portrait. The biggest challenge can be just to get them to sit still long enough for a few decent shots. I've had some good luck with a small wooden chair and a small wooden posing stool. I bough these at a local "U-finish" furniture store. The kids like to sit on the small stool or chair at least for a few minutes!

357924899_qk7ZT-XL.jpg

This 4 year old was a wild man! Notice the sweat from his running all around on a play set! I got some decent candids there, but Mom really wanted a portrait. After he ran around, I let him climb up on my posing stool. Here he is proudly on top!

527150868_HPodG-XL.jpg

I've also had some luck with a "Simon says" kind of game for posing. Here I showed her a pose from a book and asked her to try and copy it for me.
    716519356_9cgsD-XL.jpg
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I did a family shoot with two sisters, neither of whom wanted to cooperate much. Their poor mother was beside herself and mortified by their behaviour. I've had kids and taught school eons ago, so it wasn't a big deal for me - they were just being kids. But getting them to stop making silly faces so Mommy could have a nice portrait just wasn't working.

So - I live on a farm and work from home. We took the kids outside and voilà - we ended up with a shot that Mommy loves - and has an enlargement hanging in her living room now. Sometimes candid is better.

360285631_ThEwu-M.jpg
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Ivar, thanks for starting this thread. I am a complete noob at this and would really like to do family and senior portraits. Lucky for me that I am not making my living with photography. I have a lot of respect for the real working photographers who post here and contribute.

In my first outing including a small child as part of a family group, we really did OK. At one point, we let the child play to burn off a little energy and I took out the long lens and got some nice pictures of her playing around and rough housing with her grampa. The family selected both of these in their final proofs.

713730742_DSGo5-L.jpg

713728309_2t37S-L.jpg

The final result was OK.
    718947657_Z595q-L.jpg

I was out this spring to shoot seven grandchildren as a gift for the grandmother's XX birthday. The kids are cousins, live in different cities, and were together for a short time. Their ages ranged from 3 months to 14 years. The posing is patently not creative. The main advantage to this set up was that I could put the camera on a tripod and shot multiple shots while the parents stood just out of the frame and helped get their attention. By have the camera on a tripod, I was able to watch the group and I had consistent enough positioning that I was able to clone the heads from four different pictures to create this composite. The parents were pleased that anything good could come from the chaos.

832566958_Zdf3z-L.jpg

Thanks to all of you in advance for the tips, comments, and samples you will share in this thread.
  • Options
    goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    DSC00404.jpg
    Courtney
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    I completely second giving them a prop, totally worth it. Of course, if they figure out how to see themselves in the reflection of your camera lens, that always helps, too. And if you're shooting digital and they understand what's going on, show them the picture - they love it.

My 2 year old nephew hands you his mom's camera and says "Say "cheese" with you?" and turns it back around after the picture to see if he likes it. One of the cutest things - EVER.

Alternate between silly faces and serious faces. I helped my cousin out on a shoot of a family at the zoo (which I don't recommend unless your zoo looks good, they were WAY more intrigued with the animals than with us) and one of the little boys was VERY strong willed, he'd only cooperate if he gave me silly faces. Daddy wasn't being very patient with him, which didn't help the situation either. Some of the best shots were of him mid-laugh, just being a boy.

My son (who's VERY used to a camera in his face) will automatically smile if I even point the camera in his direction, whether it's on or not (right, Mr. Jeff? :D). Mid-photo shoot back a while back, I told him I'd ground him for a week if he didn't smile - while I was joking, the look on his face was PRICELESS and it's my mom's favorite.

Of course when you DO get one to behave, you luck up and get this:
    Connor in B&W

There's always my cousin's daughter playing with Mommy's sunglasses:
    Such a lady.

Just understand that they have the attention span of a pencil, so anything that's not totally intriguing isn't going to keep them entertained.
  • Options
    Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    I am in total agreement that young children are almost impossible to pose. Catching them in a more candid style is about the only way. My 2 best models are my girls, ages 2 & 4. They are starting to get used to Daddy aiming a camera at them, so some posing is beginning to be possible. But the best ones are when you just let them go like I did for these Easter shots:

850235454_QPXNV-L.jpg

850236746_p2QPN-L.jpg

850245868_foPaE-L.jpg

850244609_zhQKE-L.jpg

C & C always welcome and encouraged!!
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.
  • Options
    toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    so much depends on personality
    You really do have to just be one of those people that has a way with kids. One thing that tends to work for me is to really include the kids in the process -- show them the equipment and what it does. Show them their reflection in the lens (you can get some great stuff with them staring right into the camera).

example:
    829973422_fu6AM-M.jpg

Also have a lot of luck when the kids start to check out and give me the super-bad kid smile is to quickly challenge them with 'okay, don't smile'. Usually startles them right away and you have about 5-10 seconds of an interesting face as they try to figure out why you just asked them do that (no one every tells them not to smile for the camera). Then when they realize you're just playing around you can usually get a pretty good, natural laugh or smile out of them (when they're relieved). Definitely won't work on all kids though (but I do try it on most with some surprising results).

best examples I could find ina hurry:
    829958546_zJs3B-M.jpg

Had just used the 'don't smile' on her:
    797924816_jGFPf-M.jpg

Also try to use as much natural light as possible -- just eliminates one major distraction and potential risk.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    So, what is important when shooting kids? Poses? good locations? props (for in or out of the studio)? what about clothes? How do you deal with the kids? how do you deal with the parents? What if you have more than one? Got some examples to illustrate your ideas? ... and ... and ... ear.gif
    I try to use natural light as much as possible. I think a big factor in shooting children is personality (yours) and patience. Don't get exasperated (or at least don't show it) if they aren't doing exactly what you want or putting their hand just so - it will only add more tension. I try to let kids be kids and capture the moment. I think the pictures turn out so much better that way because they feel comfortable. Sometimes if they are being a little too goofy, I'll say, "How about we get a nice one for your mom." I talk to them, ask them about school, etc. I try to make them feel special, get down on their level and make it about them. Usually that means military crawling around on the ground, but you do what you gotta do. I love it when there is more than one child in the picture - then they interact and entertain each other. Kids will lose interest quickly, so I try to have my camera all set up and settings figured out before I bring them into the equation.

I like to have a "kid wrangler" with me - someone to corral and humor them. Having the parents there to entertain and make faces for smaller children is very helpful. Props are great. It gives the kid something to entertain themselves and adds interest. I try not to go over the top with them though.

774096480_tedog-M.jpg

713092677_WwKza-M.jpg

771939405_eag5Z-M.jpg

774088446_5dX7e-M.jpg
  • Options
    MRagonMRagon Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2010
    I do think a prop helps a lot and is something for them to focus attention on. Boredom sets in soon. Sometimes bringing a pet or animal into the scene will liven them up and cause them to forget to complain. Great topic. I'm just getting started and kids are my focus. Keeping them entertained and working fast seems to be key.

This one yr old just got a new pair of sunglasses at her birthday party.

821053634_Gzkpu-M.jpg

It took a dendelion to get this one to smile.

834352790_WVxyy-M.jpg

Bubbles are good for a couple of giggles.

821155123_xVRaf-M.jpg

The stool worked better as a prop for this one than as a seat...lol.

849818470_r5Zwr-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2010
    At Andrew's suggestion, I picked up the book The Best of Family Portrait Photography by Bill Hurter published by Amherst Media. It is an excellent resource. I really need help with the theory of posing families and groups and Bill really lays out some helpful strategies.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    I've been very disappointed with the Amherst books.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2010
    Have you found any books that you like better? In looking at my collection, I have Amherst books on Posing, Natural Lighting for Weddings and Portraits, and this one on Family Portraits. They have all been helpful for me, but if there are better choices, I would like to find them too.
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    For books, I really like The Art of Children's Portrait Photography by Tamara Lackey and Photographing Children Photo Workshop by Ginny Felch and Allison Tyler Jones.
    Kristen
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Some nice work here.
    I have been shooting the kids in my family for some time as they range in age from 1yr to ten. What I try and do is engage in conversation with them and act silly to catch their attention. It's a bit of a challenge but well worth the effort if you manage to get some good shots.

The other thing I like to do that works well is use a long lens and try and become invisible as they are playing at the park, sometimes I get great natural looking portraits.
    Shot with 18-200VR and D80 during some summer playtime, she turned around and I snapped a shot:

888801696_rNRPX-M.jpg
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    I get some great expressions from kids by simply acting wierd, which isn't hard for me. You must get their attention and you can't do that with a group of people around. If you can only have one parent in the area and standing right behind you. Have them stand up, when they get down on the kids level the child does not look up so have the parent stand.

Also do something stupid. I have some rubber worms that I will pretend to eat and the kids expressions are just priceless. I also have several magic tricks that gets their attention.

If your bold put a stuffed pet on an elastic band. Have one end in your hand and the other wrapped around the pet and fling it at the child. Tell him to catch it and it will snap back and you will get some great expressions but be careful this isn't for all kids.

Sing songs that are out of season. Christmas tunes work great in July.