Options

Floatopia

johnmirelesjohnmireles Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited March 28, 2010 in People
This is probably not the most wholesome series of images so I apologize in advance if they offend anyone. One of the things I love to do is document partying youth culture. (The fact that I may do so with a six pack at my side is beside the point.) So when I heard about Floatopia, I knew I had to be there.

What's Floatopia you ask? Well, when drinking on the beach is outlawed, the drinkers take to the water in an inflatable armada of tubes, rafts, kiddy pools, boats and anything that will float - if only for a little while. Let the binge-drinking begin!

821164919_G6GLb-L.jpg

My style of shooting is very in your face. I don't like long lenses. I like to be in the middle of the action.

821165628_rvQbQ-L.jpg

821164385_5RKLK-L.jpg

It's always more challenging photographing women in public. They're naturally more suspicious. They'll ask why I'm shooting photos. I'll ask why are they drinking. It sort of disarms them. I think by being up front, it reduces the creep factor. When one girl asked if I was a creep I jokingly answered, "Yes, I am that creepy photographer guy." She laughed and told me that I wasn't a creep. I took her picture.

821165398_ipNuL-L.jpg

The reality is that I don't care if I'm photographing guys or girls. I'm just looking for that moment that tells a story.

821164218_P5haU-L.jpg

821165184_BBabP-L.jpg

There's also a certain sense of fearlessness that you have to bring to photographing in this style. If you're shy and afraid of people, forget it. Actually, I'm both, but I'm more interested in getting the shot so I put that aside.

For this event, there were a lot of photographers out shooting images. It was almost like opening day for duck season. These guys (and they were all middle-aged guys) were all standing on the beach with their long lenses. Every photo I've seen posted online look the same. Backs of heads from the sidelines.

I'm more of a gonzo photojournalist. I believe in being right in the middle of things as an active participant. I'm in the water with a beer in one hand, camera in the other. I want to be right where life is happening. I only shoot with a wide angle lens because that forces me to get right up on the subjects. I want to break into their personal space so I can take the viewer where they haven't been before.

821164883_vSjcw-L.jpg

821165436_GpekT-L.jpg

Now, I understand that some may think that this is inappropriate and debauched. I won't disagree. But if you have kids in college, this is what they were doing for Spring break. At least now you know.

821165044_FLgah-L.jpg

This is actually part of my in-progress book project on youth/party culture. Yeah, it's a tough job, but someone has to document these fleeting moments for posterity. One day, these youths will be able to proudly share these images with their children and say, "Mommy was there."

More images from Floatopia at my Sumgmug gallery. You can also go to my website to see more of my youth culture work.

John

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Wow-- that's an interesting series and gallery. Nice documentary work. If you can blend in with the crowd, you'll almost always get better pics than the guys on the beach with the long lenses. My only critique would be to get more detail shots (closeups of cans, mouths draining those cans, etc) for more variety. I understand you're in the midst of the activities but think a little more in terms of cinema-- wide angle scene setting shots, medium shots, and close-in details-- to really set the scene. Nice work though.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    johnmirelesjohnmireles Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    dogwood wrote:
    Wow-- that's an interesting series and gallery. Nice documentary work. If you can blend in with the crowd, you'll almost always get better pics than the guys on the beach with the long lenses. My only critique would be to get more detail shots (closeups of cans, mouths draining those cans, etc) for more variety. I understand you're in the midst of the activities but think a little more in terms of cinema-- wide angle scene setting shots, medium shots, and close-in details-- to really set the scene. Nice work though.
    Ummm yeah... go to the gallery link that I posted to see my entire edited take of the photos.

John
  • Options
    CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    You missed the little puppy in this shot...

821164385_5RKLK-L.jpg

Now we know what happened to the little girl in this add...

Coppertone_girl.jpg
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    CyberSteak wrote:
    You missed the little puppy in this shot...

821164385_5RKLK-L.jpg

Now we know what happened to the little girl in this add...

Coppertone_girl.jpg
    lolol
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700