Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #47 (Beginning or Ending)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited April 5, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #47

Welcome to Round #47 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, March 22, 05:00am, PST time (GMT -7) to Monday, April 5, 08:00am, PST time (GMT -7).

Please be aware that as of this round, the Ending Time has been changed to 8:00am PST (GMT -7)

The topic ready for your interpretation: Beginning or Ending

This round marks the ending of Kerry's awesomeness and the beginning of new territory for myself. It is up to you to interpret how you see beginning or ending. Please remember that using both challenge themes in an image usually weakens the message. You are welcome to use any idea that you see fit but try and be creative by thinking outside of the normal images that come to mind like birth or dead end roads. Show us your vision!

Your Judges:
jwear (Winner of Round 44)
Guest Judge: sherstone

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications

Comments

• Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    This sounds like fun.

The theme is really appropriate for the ending of one and beginning of another.
    I'm sure that was your intent. :)

Thanks, Kerry, good luck Sean.

peace, gail

It feels good to be in the challenges again.:D
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Why am I not surprised that it's not something simpler. I fear it is a sign of things to come :(:

Thanks Kerry for all your time and effort you put into thisiloveyou.gif. Sean, I'm really looking forward to the challengesclap.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    This sounds like fun.

The theme is really appropriate for the ending of one and beginning of another.
    I'm sure that was your intent. :)

Thanks, Kerry, good luck Sean.

15524779-Ti.gif - very well said Gail clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    So, you're saying I shouldn't shoot someone giving birth on a dead end road? Dang...guess I'll have to come up with another idea! :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    So, you're saying I shouldn't shoot someone giving birth on a dead end road? Dang...guess I'll have to come up with another idea! :D

That would be immensely funny if several people did that exact interpretation. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Just to reassure folks, my awesomeness is still around. Somewhere. mwink.gif

Great theme, Sean! Can't wait to see what people come up with.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Just to reassure folks, my awesomeness is still around. Somewhere. mwink.gif

Great theme, Sean! Can't wait to see what people come up with.

When you put it like that {cough} your right it does sound kind of negative.
    Of course you still exude awesomeness! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    From a newbie perspective, this is such great fun!!
    Kerry, thanks for your hard work and great Challenges.
    Sean, thank you in advance for managing this now. Looking forward to shooting to your Challenges
    The challenges have inspired me to keep thinking of (hopefully) creative ways to tell a story within the confines of subject!

Great fun!
    P
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    Please remember that using both challenge themes in an image usually weakens the message.

In this case I think that logically speaking, the 2 themes "Beginning" and "Ending" cannot exist separately rolleyes1.gif

- Just a thought... headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    photo-bug wrote:
    In this case I think that logically speaking, the 2 themes "Beginning" and "Ending" cannot exist separately rolleyes1.gif

- Just a thought... headscratch.gif
    Something cannot not end without a beginning, this is true. But it is in theory possible for a beginning to have an infinite existence and therefore have no end. There are always exceptions and I would love to see an entry that pulls it off perfectly. thumb.gif
    I imagine we could put many dual themes to a chicken or the egg debate, that is what makes the challenges so much fun and mentally stimulating. clap.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Hmm... this is going to require some though! I think you're definitely starting out on the right path. :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    :slurp
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    photo-bug wrote:
    :slurp
    beer.gif
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    this one should offer a ton of great interpretations. Nice choice of topic for your first one! Have fun moderating the natives

clap.gifclaprolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    Something cannot not end without a beginning, this is true. But it is in theory possible for a beginning to have an infinite existence and therefore have no end. There are always exceptions and I would love to see an entry that pulls it off perfectly. thumb.gif
    I imagine we could put many dual themes to a chicken or the egg debate, that is what makes the challenges so much fun and mentally stimulating. clap.gif

Dang...there's goes my chicken and egg idea as well! eek7.gif:D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    Dang...there's goes my chicken and egg idea as well! eek7.gif:D

rolleyes1.gif

You may find a steril chiken or an orphan egg... ne_nau.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    You know what has a beginning and an ending?

A sausage.

/silly humor.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    Mad CatMad Cat Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Big Changes
    Wow, I step away for a couple months and when I return .... big changes. I haven't been with Dgrin very long or participated as much as I wish I had time to, but for what it's worth Kerry I want you to know you ARE awesome. As for you Sean, I can't think of a better choice to fill her shoes. You really bit it off this time buddy! Best wishes to you both, and to the rest of you all grinners - Hi Everybody! w/mc
  • Options
    TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    exif help
    I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction for how to post exifs of the images I used in my composite image for this challenge. I tried a search and it wasn't fruitful. rolleyes1.gif Thanks a bunch! Tammy
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    TLVoDra wrote:
    I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction for how to post exifs of the images I used in my composite image for this challenge. I tried a search and it wasn't fruitful. rolleyes1.gif Thanks a bunch! Tammy

That question came up in the last Mega Challenge. Here's what Sherstone says to do.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1351224&postcount=30

and his entry

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/Dgrin-Challenges/Dgrin-Sharp-Shooters-Entries/Mega-Challenge-7/11443343_D7RSG#813128354_axjwv

You will probably have to login in challenge entry mode first (username: challenges, password: challenges).

Good luck.

—Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Thanks Kevin! I'm so new here...still trying to figure out the technical stuff...luckily there are a lot of helpful folks here. I couldn't get into the edit mode on the Mega Challenge (it's closed), so I just posted the URL for now and can change it later if I learn another way. Thanks again!
    Tammy
    Tammy~
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    TLVoDra wrote:

First question is:

Where will the pictures that you want the EXIF information to be shown going to reside on the Internet?
    A personal gallery?
    A SmugMug Gallery?
    or some other photosharing service?

If you could provide a link to the gallery that has the EXIF information then that should work fine.
    You still should have EXIF info from the main image embedded in your final image.

Once I find out the answer to the question I can go further with trying to explain.

EDIT: Ok I should have read further - I see that you provided a link to the gallery that has the images with EXIF info. that works perfectly fine.

the code that you can use is shown here
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    Thanks Sean! I saved the code for future use. Really appreciate your help! :D
    Tammy
    Tammy~
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    Is my image fine as is with the exif? Or do I need to set up a gallery? Mine is the ski shot.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2010
    cj99si wrote:
    Is my image fine as is with the exif? Or do I need to set up a gallery? Mine is the ski shot.

To me it is obvious that all the frames were shot in the same sitting but since it is a composite of many frames, to be consistent with other entries that require EXIF for each element. Yes you need to link to the EXIF of each frame used or a gallery with small versions of all the frames, showing EXIF info, will work as well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    To me it is obvious that all the frames were shot in the same sitting but since it is a composite of many frames, to be consistent with other entries that require EXIF for each element. Yes you need to link to the EXIF of each frame used or a gallery with small versions of all the frames, showing EXIF info, will work as well. thumb.gif

Will do. Thanks.
  • Options
    Richard_GRichard_G Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2010
    #47 - Darn, this would have been a great entry.
    So there I was, cruising in my time-spaceship just weeks before this challenge, when all of a sudden, there it was!

824380465_9aDfy-L.jpg
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    You are welcome to use any idea that you see fit but try and be creative by thinking outside of the normal images that come to mind like birth or dead end roads. Show us your vision!

Sean, this is a tough challenge!

"Ending"...does that mean that "end" and "extremity" are acceptable, I think so, however I just want to be sure...

Looking in the thesaurus, there are a few different possibilites once one considers the offerings...the same with beginning.

I presume that there is a lot of room for interpretation in this challenge, as you said to try to be creative.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2010
    BinaryFx wrote:
    Sean, this is a tough challenge!

First of all, I am glad that you feel it is tough, if it was easy then what kind of "challenge" would that be? One of the reasons why I personally like a two theme or opposites challenge is it gives the photographer a choice. If you are not feeling one you may get a vision on the other.

As I said, be creative and push the limits of what ending or beginning means. Using a thesaurus to find synonyms is always a perfect place to gain a better understanding of how a word or theme speaks to you.

The real challenge is finding within yourself a vision that when viewed by others immediately screams out the theme without even having to read the title. Titles in my mind, should be used to enhance the artistic statement not explain it. If an image can not stand on it's own and say the theme without a title then it may still be a great photo, but what does it say to the viewer?

Yes the final two people that you need to convince and entice into your image are the judges but the reality of these challenges is that you need to please yourself first. If all you do is struggle to please your audience and you personally dislike your creation, I believe you are doing yourself a disservice.

It is all about growth and pushing yourself to new heights of creativity. I know that many participants including myself, have been able to add images to their portfolio that never would have been possible without the creative push that these challenges offer.

I hope that helps instead of focusing you on how "hard" it seems.
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    Thanks Sean, just wanted to be sure on the variations of meaning - that ending and end could both be used, the shades of meaning are different and important (ending-time, end-extremity etc)!

Yes, this is all a challenge! In my day job, I have dealt with images for years, however I am not a professional photographer. A few months ago I purchased my first DSLR, so I am using these challenges to learn more about photography as a hobby. It is hard for me to think of subjects/themes as a learning method - so being forced into shooting a subject via a challenge is a perfect way for me to learn.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh