Options

Best page title for Google ranking?

philx123philx123 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
At the minute I have:

"Philip Smith Photography wedding photo Stockport"

If I want to be picked up in a google search of wedding photographers in my area, is it better to just have "Wedding Photography Stockport"?
Or maybe "wedding photographer, Stockport, Manchester, Cheshire"?

Does it need my name in there, seeing as anyone searching my name will probably have my web address anyway, and from the internet, anyway, I'm most interested in getting the highest ranking in any google search such as "Wedding photographer, Stockport" or "Wedding photographer, Manchester," or even "wedding photographer Cheshire."?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    My understanding and I am by no means an expert but it is not just what your page title is but also how many links you have going in and out. A few searches of "How Does Google Work" can give an overview. However I would also recommend that you look at how Bing works and Yahoo as some users will just use the defaults of whatever is installed. If one installs the latest IE it puts Bing as the default search engine. MacAfee and other programs install the Yahoo toolbar... etc.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Hi there,
    Your page title is an extremely important part of the equation for being found so it should contain what you want to be found for :-)
    There is no reason why you can't include all that you refer to below, it should all help in being picked up. Links in are also very important in pushing up your ranking.

Nice site, I only had a quick look but you seem to have "originals" available on some of your galleries - not what you intended ?

Cheers,
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    caroline wrote:
    Hi there,
    Your page title is an extremely important part of the equation for being found so it should contain what you want to be found for :-)
    There is no reason why you can't include all that you refer to below, it should all help in being picked up. Links in are also very important in pushing up your ranking.

Nice site, I only had a quick look but you seem to have "originals" available on some of your galleries - not what you intended ?

Cheers,
    Caroline

Thanks for the input. Can I ask you what you mean by only having "originals" available? Do you mean full size images, or something else? As you can probably tell, this is all a grey area to me.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    philx123 wrote:
    Thanks for the input. Can I ask you what you mean by only having "originals" available? Do you mean full size images, or something else? As you can probably tell, this is all a grey area to me.
    Originals means your full resolution original file as uploaded - not any of the generated smaller sizes.
    In Gallery Settings you have options to set the size which visitors to your site can view your images at. When I hover over your images the pop out that appears on the left of images shows that all sizes including originals are available, as a pro you presumably sell your work so even though you have right click warning enabled this is not a good idea :-)

Check out this help http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage Security & Privacy section.

Hope this helps, if not give me call,
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    caroline wrote:
    Originals means your full resolution original file as uploaded - not any of the generated smaller sizes.
    In Gallery Settings you have options to set the size which visitors to your site can view your images at. When I hover over your images the pop out that appears on the left of images shows that all sizes including originals are available, as a pro you presumably sell your work so even though you have right click warning enabled this is not a good idea :-)

Check out this help http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage Security & Privacy section.

Hope this helps, if not give me call,
    Caroline

Thanks for that. I did have most of them as websaves, though read somewhere it was better to put them up larger sizes. I read the tutorial, and set them to x2 in the settings.
    Thanks for that.

Phil