Options

TWA Flight 800 Black Box

WorldcrossingsWorldcrossings Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited February 24, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Not one of the best journeys in my past career, but a journey none the less. Here's the black box from the flight 800 crash off the coast of NY.

785587138_jDhNF-L.jpg
Sincerely,

Tommy Thomas
www.Worldcrossings.com

"I have seen a lot of cool things through my lenses, but not nearly as awesome as seeing my little baby girl through it!"
Note: Feel free to post your photos, in your replys, to any of my threads if you feel like it pertains to something I have posted.

Comments

• Options
    RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Impressive "live" document!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    I have the feeling your going to be sharing a good number
    of really interesting photos. That I am very much forward
    looking to.

Tragic, this crash was.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    I have the feeling your going to be sharing a good number
    of really interesting photos. That I am very much forward
    looking to.

Tragic, this crash was.

Thanks, I hope not to let you down, but unfortunately most of my TWA photos were confiscated by the FBI for 3 months, then the negatives, not layed flat, were jammed into a fedex envelope and returned only after all the media attention was over. So most of them were pretty much ruined... Now they are in an album in the closet somewhere... :) Gotta love film.
    Sincerely,

Tommy Thomas
    www.Worldcrossings.com

"I have seen a lot of cool things through my lenses, but not nearly as awesome as seeing my little baby girl through it!"
    Note: Feel free to post your photos, in your replys, to any of my threads if you feel like it pertains to something I have posted.
  • Options
    GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    I must ask why is it in a cooler?
    D90, D40, SB-600, SB-400, 50mm 1.8 and a couple of kit lenes.:thumb
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    Gambrel wrote:
    I must ask why is it in a cooler?

They keep stuff that comes out of the ocean in water to flush the salt water off of it, if it's removed without getting the salt water off, it starts to corrode faster... :)
    Sincerely,

Tommy Thomas
    www.Worldcrossings.com

• Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Howdy Tommy,

Really well done, would love to hear of your involvement and experience

documenting the Black Box opening.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2010
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Tommy,

Really well done, would love to hear of your involvement and experience

documenting the Black Box opening.

I worked with Coast Guard Public Affairs Atlantic Area for about 6 years. For the TWA crash, I was dispatched to assist in the setup of the command center and started fielding all the media requests.

I'll never forget driving in that morning, 5+ checkpoints, helicopters landing, Navy, ATF and FBI everywhere, mist rolling in from the ocean.

We had a small team of Coasties working with all the others there. The Navy always sent up a male admiral or captain to speak to the media, we always sent our female PA2 which was about the only thing enjoyable. She did a great job.

It was a media nightmare, navy, atf, fbi and many more, all involved and all felt in charge. I had some great shots, i'll dig out later, of the first large wreckage that was brought ashore. The wheel assembly, hanging from a rope, with the coast guard 41-footer mored in the background, with enough room at the top for headlines. I took the film to some house with the API photog, who had setup a developing lab in the basement there, and developed the film. (The API guy was ready to link the shots up on the wire, unfortunately, the FBI confiscated my film, i was to close to the wreckage. Sucked since that shot could have been published around the world. With the CG on the cover. Oh well, I got the film back several months later all stuffed in an envelope and crumpled.

lots of hurt families, lots of scarred enlisted personel on the front lines pulling in the bodies of loved ones waiting on the shore. One or two is usually easy to get past mentally, 100+ is different. I could only imagine what the firefighters and rescue people had to go through on 9/11.

Long story short, we didn't sleep for days and worked international media coverage day and night. Satellite City is what we called the place where all the media trucks gathered. It was a very impressive evolution for such a tragic inccident.

I wish I would have taken more photos of the general area but didn't have a chance to do so. We wore many hats, so photos weren't at the top of the list unless something major was happening.

TT
    Sincerely,

Tommy Thomas
    www.Worldcrossings.com