Results Thread - Mini Challenge #89 "Water"

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited February 17, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
I really made this hard for myself! There were so many interesting and wonderful images and such a variety of styles. I went back and forth several times, trying to end up with a reasonable list of finalists and not have 20 honorable mentions, which I easily could have done. In fact, I did make a separate honorable mention category for "reflections" because there were so many nice ones.

Even if you do not see your name here, please do not be discouraged. There were elements of many images that I liked very much and that made it very, very difficult to make choices. On another day, I might even choose different finalists.

I do want to thank everyone who participated. This was a fantastic challenge and I was so glad to see so many names that were new to me or new to DGrin. :clap

So, without further ado, here are my results:

Honorable Mention - Reflections

1. Me&MyCandi(5D): Oceans on Fire - I liked the colors a lot; the red reflections on the rocks made the shot for me
2. Velvet-Art: Portadown - Great repeating pattern in the bridge and its reflection; I also liked the stars in the reflected streetlights
3. MNGirl: Glacier NP - I like the clear water and the rocks' reflections, plus the way the rocks lead me towards the mountains

Honorable Mention

1. richtersl: Cape Charles, VA - I like the curve of the water leading me into the shot, plus the grasses on either side give it balance and texture
2. Aaron Nelson: Zion NP - I am a sucker for any shot with leaves and water and I like the vertical format of this one
3. ic4u: Canoeing my Troubles Away - I like the silhouette of the paddler and the stars on the water; this one has a very spiritual feel to me
4. DEE5THOU: Soft and Fun - A nice change from the scenics and a good fit for the theme; I like the comp and the action
5. kinkajou: Suwanee - Abstract water shots are one of my favorites and I like this one very much

5th Place

dlscott56: Acadia Sunrise - It's hard to beat Acadia at sunrise--this one has gorgeous colors and great lighting and I like the motion of the water against the rocks
682694806_x2Amn-M.jpg

4th Place (tie)

a. MrsCue: Little Bit of Brown - Another nice image with a different idea of water as subject. Although the water is actually minimal in the shot, it tells the story nicely and I just couldn't resist this one. The green color is brilliant!
3974838675_eb0cac0d33_o.jpg

b. SimpsonBrothers: Sunset Solitude - I like everything about this one; great colors and light, nice off-center comp, and great motion in the water. I'd like to see a bit more detail in the rocks but this is still one of my favorites in this challenge.
637751489_KcEoL-M-4.jpg

3rd place (tie)

a. photo-bug: Floating - I saw this one and said "wow!" I feel like I'm in the water, about to climb in the kayak. It's another shot that tells a great story about water.
769747901_FEmGn-M.jpg

b. cj99si: #1 (Autumn Lake) - This one takes my breath away with the brilliant blue sky and the colorful reflections. The bit of fog on the water adds nice texture. This one could certainly stand on its own as a scenic landscape, but to me it captures the essence of what is appealing about water--it surrounds the viewer and it provides great artistic beauty for the eye.
768507495_Vr9qN-M-1.jpg

2d place

rainbow: #2 (Beach) - I kept going back to this one to try to decide where to place it. I finally decided it was really one of my favorites! The color is terrific and the image draws me in as I want to see what the men are so fascinated with out in the water. Including the men gives depth to this shot as well as creating emotion. And then there are the bicycles--to me it's a juxtaposition that makes this shot stand out. Did these guys ride onto the rocky and driftwood-laden shore? Or did they pedal through the waves on the sand? None of that makes sense--bicycles don't belong in this scene but that's what I love about it!
776786730_QFZ4E-M.jpg

WINNER

davev: #2 (swans) - When I first saw this one, I thought "This will be hard to beat!" To start with,I'm a lifelong birder so I was drawn to the swans. The mix of action and stillness amongst the birds creates such depth and the lighting is wonderful. The details in the feathers are terrific. The multiple forms of water in this shot are also very appealing--there are drops that show movement and action, there is glass-like still water that seems as if the birds are running atop it, and there is vaporous fog that creates the mood. Simply put, I like everything about this shot!
777187164_sTCKz-M.jpg

Whew! This was tough but loads of fun. I appreciate everyone's patience in waiting for me to get this done. Now, it's up to davev to get the next MC going!!

Cheers,
Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Congrats Davev!!!!

(surprised I placed at all!rolleyes1.gif )

dlscott56 & cj99si - Beautiful shots!
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Congrats davev clap.gifclap and the other winners too.

After seeing all the fantastic entries I was completely bowled over and humbled to have an honerable mention for one of my pics, thank you Lauren, I didnt envy you in trying to whittle down all the great images but you have done a great job.

Well done everybodythumb.gifthumb

Tim
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    What a great picture, Dave!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Congrats Dave. Fantastic image!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Absolutely beautiful Dave! Congratulations.clap.gif
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Well, this is a total surprise.

Congrats to all that entered, and those that are making these little mini's not so little.
    A big thank you to Lauren for choosing my shot, but more so for taking this mini to the end.
    If I would have been as sick as your were, (I've had pneumonia before) I would have tried to
    hand off the judging to someone else.
    I hope you feel well enough to enter the next mini.

I have to go out for a few hours (I teach welding at night school) but I should be able to get something up tonight.

Thanks again Lauren.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • gpssuegpssue Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Davey. Congrats on your win in this challenge...I am a total newby to this competition thing, but the second I saw your entry I knew you would be hard to beat. Sue
    :barb
  • DEE5THOUDEE5THOU Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Congrats to the selected group...very nice shots. Thank you as well for an honourable mention at #4 that made my day.
    My bits n bobs..
    Nikon D5000 :ivar
    Nikon 35mm f1.8G :thumb
    Nikon 50mm f1.4G :bow
    Nikon 18-200mm :thumb
    Nikon 70-300mm VR :thumb
    Sigma 150mm Macro :lust
    Tokina 12-24mm :thumb
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Amazing shot Dave. Congrats! bowdown.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Congrats, Dave! I remember that shot from another challenge. It's gorgeous! I guess you're not going to choose Black & White as a theme again. rolleyes1.gif

And Lauren, it seems that you're on the mend, and I"m glad to see that.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Dave, that is a truly amazing shot and deserving of the "Winner" prize. It stands out amongst so many wonderful photos.

And Lauren, I am glad that you liked my shot enough to place it "second" (!), which thrills me as I would have been just as thrilled should I have received an honorable mention. Thank you. And thanks for sticking it out and carrying out your judging responsibilities.

Kudos to all the entrants for the variety and excellence of the submissions.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 10, 2010
    Congrates Dave! Superb image!!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Congrates to all the runners up! Beautiful work!
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Congrats, Dave, and to all of those that garnered top honors!

And congrats to all of the entrants! There were some wonderful photos that didn't get selected.

Thanks, Lauren, for selecting a great topic and completing the judging in spite of circumstances! wings.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Congratulations to winners and wtg all!
    Growing with Dgrin

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Congrats Dave and to all the winners. Lauren, I don't know how you could choose there were so many excellent images. Well done!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Congrats Dave! Awesome shot. Love the lighting too.
    Congrats to everyone that placed and ... wow ... thank you for placing me! Yippee! clap.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    I'm glad everyone is pleased with the results. And thanks again for your kind wishes--they helped me make it through all this! iloveyou.gif

Once again, thanks to all who entered and who commented throughout the challenge. This was definitely an active event! :D

I'm looking forward to when I can get out and shoot some more stuff. For now, I will try to shoot the snow/sleet that we are supposed to have today--a definite rarity in San Antonio!

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Fantastic shot Dave, Congratulations!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Thanks everyone.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Congratulations to all!

…and especially to the winners!

Nice job everyone, and so glad that you're feeling better Lauren!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Your image takes my breath away Dave....I knew it was a winner..congratulations.clap.gif
    Thanks for the HM Redleash! Glad you liked my canoe shot
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • MNGirlMNGirl Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Thanks so much for the #3 honorable mention - you made my day! wings.gif

I hadn't been back to see the last few days of entries - and to see the #1 pick - WOW!! What an awsome picture. You had a tough job of choosing.

I appreciated the comments on each of the photos and why you choose the ones you did. It will help me to work to improve my own skills.

Thanks for a great mini-challenge!

Wendy
    www.ShetekPhoto.com
    Wendy
    www.ShetekPhoto.com
    www.TMBSports.com

Pentax K-x
    Pentax *istDL
    Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
    Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4
  • Me&MyCandi(5D)Me&MyCandi(5D) Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2010
    Congrats to Dave for an awesome shot, a well deserved 1st place!

Lauren - Thank you for the HM #1 in reflections, it means a lot to me.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2010
    Congratulations, Dave and the rest of the placing pictures. bowdown.gif The images were really quite amazing, and kudos to our dedicated judge. You had both a really strong field of images and pneumonia to deal with.clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words, Andrew. The pneumonia was easier to deal with than the mass of great images! rolleyes1.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com