Options

>>> kidzmom, People Photo Challenge #3 winner <<<

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited February 22, 2010 in People
kidzmom won the people photo challenge #3: Layers and Textures & people photo challenge #11: Shallow. I asked her to answer a few questions, and this is what she told me:

WHO ARE YOU? Hi everyone. I’m Kelly, a 36 year old American ex-pat living abroad in France. I’ve been living in Europe for the last 13 years. In that time I’ve lived in 6 countries and although not a master of languages, can (more or less) speak 3 languages fluently.
Justme-1.jpg

Currently I am a proud stay-at-home Mother to four wonderful children…2 sons and 2 daughters. It was my dream to have 4 children. I love artistic children’s portrait photography and have found a second home here on dgrin!
Kids-2-1.jpg
My kids, my inspiration...

WHEN DID YOU JOIN DGRIN? WHICH FORUM(S) DO YOU FREQUENT MOST? I joined Dgrin 4 months ago in mid-September of 2009. I almost exclusively post and read in the People forum.
Blueeyesbluehouse-1.jpg
ThatLovelyGirl-1.jpg

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY? DID YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOGRAPHY TRAINING? I have always been an avid "picture-taker". I started snapping pictures as early as 13 or 14 years old, where I vividly remember my first camera which was a circular film disk camera. Anyone remember those? :) I snapped away with my point and shoot cameras for many many years. I thoroughly enjoyed capturing life's special moments, but it wasn't until 4 months ago that I purchased my first dSLR and started shooting in manual. My husband bought me a film SLR in 2002 and I'm embarrased to say it didn't ever go off AUTO position. To my credit I have always hated the look of direct flash and shot without flash whenever possible. In the last 5 months I have become obsessed with the technical side of photography. My intimidation of the past is now gone. This is thanks to dgrin.

This is a shot of my son at less than one week old with my point and shoot Panasonic Lumix (without flash and on auto, lol)! I have always loved doing mini-shoots even on auto :)
Justborn.jpg

And here I am several months later with my dSLR and my 50mm
PRECIOUS_edited-1-1.jpg
LittleYou-1.jpg

WHAT EQUIPMENT DO YOU HAVE/USE? In August I purchased a Canon T1i. Which has been a very user friendly way to enter into photography. I also purchased a Canon 50mm 1.8 lens which lives on my camera. In January I purchased a 430EXII which I have yet to learn. I shoot 99% with natural light. My next purchase (very soon) will be either a Pocket Wizard or a Cactus V4 and either an umbrella or a softbox. I would also love a macro lens to experiment with, I think I would enjoy taking pictures of small or abstract subjects..This is an improv macro shot with the 50.
Handstothesky-1.jpg
Hands to the Sky

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE THING/SUBJECT/PLACE TO PHOTOGRAPH? By FAR I enjoy taking photos of children and babies. I am very inspired by textures also...especially the old walls and wooden doors found here in Europe. Cobblestone streets, wooden shutters, brick, moss, bridges.
Littlebluehouse-1.jpg

If I see a texture that I want to photograph my adrenalin instantly flows. Indoor textures such as knit hats and blankets also inspire me. I ADORE baby props...and sleeping babies might admittedly be my favorite subject. The innocence and their beauty while sleeping moves me deeply.
TheLittleSweetPea-1.jpg
GentleYou-1.jpg

I have been enjoying trying some new baby props..
TheSwinginSleeper-1.jpg
withborder_edited-1-1.jpg

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PHOTO? Oh my, this is a hard question. My favorite photo is always one that I have recently taken. Usually I look back on past photos and see only flaws. It is really a curse (or a blessing) to look back and never be satisfied. One photo that I took I still love. It was actually my VERY FIRST manual session, back in September. I love this shot!
Wall-1.jpg

I quite like this one too...
BeautifulGrace-1-1.jpg

WHAT'S THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU PHOTOGRAPHY WISE? WHAT'S THE ONE THING/ADVICE THAT YOU WANT TO GIVE OTHER'S? One day on Dgrin Divamom and Cuong told me to get off Auto and shoot in a program mode. They checked my EXIF data. I was outed. From that day forth I moved onto manual. I tried a session or two in Av but quickly learned that I could control the camera more than I thought. MY ADVISE and SINGLE REGRET is that I didn't do this sooner. I finally started getting the shots I loved. My hesitation to just TRY is something that bothers me to this day. Somehow in my mind I felt I didn't belong in manual because I had no formal training. Thanks to the internet and many books I have learned so very much and I can't stress to people enough to just make the leap. Don't be intimidated, practice, experiment, learn! If you shoot with your heart and an artistic vision you will learn quickly. Do not be afraid to experment..and make mistakes.

WHO/WHAT ARE YOUR BIGGEST INFLUENCES IN PHOTOGRAPHY? Every one of you on dgrin. Everyone who has taken the time to help me grow. You have all inspired me with your beautiful art and images. I also love Kelley Ryden and her sister Tracer Raver (obviously baby photogs)...and not to forget the inspiration that my kids provide!
squarecropbasket_edited-1-1.jpg
SnugglesandSmiles-1.jpg

SO WHAT ABOUT YOUR WINNING ENTRY? This shot was taken on a favorite spot of mine, in the center of our small village on a very old wooden bridge. We had just had a fresh snow fall. It was COLD and I knew I only had about 10 minutes before my little model would complain.
WinterTexture-1.jpg

I've actually had an idea for this image in my head now for months now. This was shot on manual with my 50 mm at F2.2. I set my shutter to 1/320 since I was dealing with an energetic 3 year old..and my ISO was 100. I did not use a reflector because there was so much snow on the ground and bridge. It was the perfect time for a shoot. The sky was still grey with snow but it was very bright with the fresh snow.

Post processing was a NEW experience for me. I spent a day learning about layer masks. I use PSE 7 for pp and I found a layer mask tool for free here: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/qt/layermasktool.htm
I don't like the look of texture directly ON a person so I had to learn this step first.

Secondly I set about to find a texture I liked. I found this one on flickr but I didn't like the border so I enlarged it so that the border was outside of the frame. http://www.flickr.com/photos/miss-mikaela/3383345207/

The jacket and hat beckoned for a vintage processing. I searched for a vintage action that I could manipulate (I like having full control over the action.) I found this completely personalizable one here:
http://coffeeteaphotography.blogspot.com/2009/12/coffeeshop-butterscotch-vintage-pspse.html

This was my first time using this action. After I adjusted the curves and fill color, it gave the exact feel I was looking for.

This shot was also one from the series. I also used a texture on it and initally considered this shot for entry.
Vintagetexture.jpg

Thanks for everything dgrin!

If you want to see more of Kelly's work, go to her website: http://www.flickr.com/photos/freezethemomentphotography/
Comments? questions? post them here!

For more info on the people photo challenges, go here. Why not participate yourself?!?!

Comments

• Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Great interview with some outstanding images! I have a question ... It looks like you like shooting in manual mode now but how about your lens? Do you set your lens to manual focus too or just leave it on Auto-focus?
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    Hi Allen! I enjoyed reading your interview also!! It is neat to learn a little bit about each other and I'm very impressed with how far you've come in such a short period of time!!

Funny you ask about focus. I was just posting about this in the thread by Met just yesterday or the day before. If I wear my glasses, I choose to focus manually. I have an astigmatism and it makes the world really foggy.. I'm not nearsighted or far sighted, but with the astigmatism things just aren't "crisp" so to speak. This particular conditon STINKS to have for fosing a lens, lol. If I wear my glasses it is fine (but I hate my glasses, I hate contacts too.)

What I usually end up doing is single AF point seleciton. I've finally mastered doing it really quickly while looking through the camera lens. It is very accurate and I just toggle the 9 point grid to where it suits the frame. A few months ago I realized that AF just wasn't cutting it for me. I found that single AF usually placed on a single eye or between the eyes...works best. It was tedious before and I had to look at the LCD to move the focus point, but now I can do it effortlessly and quickly, even when looking through the viewfinder. I have to be quick because I like to change it a lot. Honestly though manual focus is so much easier--if it wasn't for my eye condition.rolleyes1.gif Not lucky there.

Thanks for commenting!
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Hi Nightpixels! I enjoyed reading your interview also!! It is neat to learn a little bit about each other and I'm very impressed with how far you've come in such a short period of time!!

Funny you ask about focus. I was just posting about this in the thread by Met just yesterday or the day before. If I wear my glasses, I choose to focus manually. I have an astigmatism and it makes the world really foggy.. I'm not nearsighted or far sighted, but with the astigmatism things just aren't "crisp" so to speak. This particular conditon STINKS to have for fosing a lens, lol. If I wear my glasses it is fine (but I hate my glasses, I hate contacts too.)

What I usually end up doing is single AF point seleciton. I've finally mastered doing it really quickly while looking through the camera lens. It is very accurate and I just toggle the 9 point grid to where it suits the frame. A few months ago I realized that AF just wasn't cutting it for me. I found that single AF usually placed on a single eye or between the eyes...works best. It was tedious before and I had to look at the LCD to move the focus point, but now I can do it effortlessly and quickly, even when looking through the viewfinder. I have to be quick because I like to change it a lot. Honestly though manual focus is so much easier--if it wasn't for my eye condition.rolleyes1.gif Not lucky there.

Thanks for commenting!

I see. I too find myself toggling around the auto-focus point during a model shoot quite often looking to place it right on the eye nearest to the camera. My lens Auto-focus is always on unless I want to shoot macro which I am pretty much forced to go with the manual focus because the lens usually has a hard time auto-focusing.

Thanks for responding.
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    Oh my gosh! What adooorable photos!! Thanks so much for sharing, really enjoyed looking at your work & congrats on the first price clap.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2010
    Thank you Angie! It means a lot to me that you commented and enjoyed the photos :D
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2010
    A really great story, and such impressive results. You really have a gift for this.
    Congratulations!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    Thanks so much Andrew...double thanks to you also because you know so much and are always so willing to help others!!:D I just feel I have SO much to learn, but it is nice to feel like I'm making some progress also.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Thanks so much Andrew...double thanks to you also because you know so much and are always so willing to help others!!:D I just feel I have SO much to learn, but it is nice to feel like I'm making some progress also.
    Theory > practical. I seem to have trouble remembering what I know when the camera is in my hand... :D The art part of the equation is the 'hard' part for me.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    Great bio and I love your collection of photos. I've been asked to take some baby photos here in the next week (just as a favor for a friend's friend), and I'm so excited (A little nervous not knowing how the lighting will be, though). Do you remember how your first baby session went?
    Kristen
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Thanks Kris! I'm sure the session will be great! Just keep your schedule flexible that day...baby might not be tired so you might need to wait until the time is right. A few suggestions (I'm not a pro though...but...)- take a white noise machine these work WONDERS! I can click and click away and my baby sleeps through it all! It will a) keep the baby sleeping b) drown out any outside noise (like you talking or shutter clicking) and c) calm the baby. Anything that makes a white noise will work. I've even put the radio on static...it is the same sound, but keep it rather loud. Have a heater nearby or CRANK UP the house BIG TIME. I mean HEAT the heck out of the room. You will sweat, but the baby will (most likely) be naked and will sleep like a zombie in the heat. Bring your own props, knits, baskets etc. Find a nice northern window and hope for a nice, bright day!!!! :D Can't wait to see your results.
  • Options
    kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Thank you for the tips, Kelly! I hope we're able to do it sooner than later, but I'll post the results for sure. :)
    Kristen
  • Options
    MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    WOW, I loved seeing your photos and reading your story. It is nice see someone fairly new have such beautiful results. It makes me hopeful. I just got my first DSLR camera and it is hard - I'm reading a ton and happy to have found this place. I took some really bad portraits of my 4 kids. Hopefully I'll get up the courage to post some for C&C.

Great interview!!!
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Your kids are adorable and your work is just fantastic. I really like how you share your work and help inspire others.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    thanks for sharing
    Beautiful pictures and great read. You definitely have the gift. Not sure who gets the compliment -- the photographer or the subjects -- but the eyes in all of your shots are just so perfect.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    Macushla, Cuong and Todd. Thank you for your thoughtful comments :) I honestly can say that dgrin is the factor behind my passion. So much inspiration here and SOOOOO much to learn (I know you all feel the same). I'm very thankful for this place! Cuong, I mentioned you in my bio/interview. SUCH a huge thanks for you for the push forward. Sometimes a little nudge is all it take to get over a fear. I really didn't think I could cut it in manual. There are still days were I feel like I can't grab the right settings, but at least I am on my way...and moving in the right direction. Seriously thanks again.
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Macushla, Cuong and Todd. Thank you for your thoughtful comments :) I honestly can say that dgrin is the factor behind my passion. So much inspiration here and SOOOOO much to learn (I know you all feel the same). I'm very thankful for this place! Cuong, I mentioned you in my bio/interview. SUCH a huge thanks for you for the push forward. Sometimes a little nudge is all it take to get over a fear. I really didn't think I could cut it in manual. There are still days were I feel like I can't grab the right settings, but at least I am on my way...and moving in the right direction. Seriously thanks again.
    Yes, I did see my name mentioned, and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Dgrin is a great place because of the people. We share our knowledge and experience, and encourage and inspire each other to try new things. Like you said, we all learn and grow by experimenting and trying out things we haven't done before. It's a pleasure for me to ride along with you on your journey of photography.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    MNGirlMNGirl Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Wow!! I absolutely LOVED ALL of the photos and I'm totally blown away how great they are with the limited time you've been working at it. clap.gif

As I read I could relate to so much of what you said about being too afraid to try things. I've had SLR cameras (both digital and film) for quite some time and am embarassed to say that until just recently I didn't take them out of auto mode.

I just dropped into this forum just to see what it was about. Sure glad I did!

Thanks for sharing all the information on how you did the layers and 'techie' side of things. I am also working on learning all of that... not enough hours in the day to do everything I want!

Thanks for sharing!
    Wendy
    www.ShetekPhoto.com
    www.TMBSports.com

Pentax K-x
    Pentax *istDL
    Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8
    Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4
  • Options
    JheyerckJheyerck Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Your photos and kids are gorgeous. Living in Europe must give you the opportunity for some great backdrops!! I loved your interview and your photos!! thumb.gif
    -Jessica♥, Learning