Options

Modded flash set up and couple of test shots

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited July 30, 2005 in Holy Macro
Just modded my macro rig to give me a bit of flexibility on flash positioning.
My old rig is shown here.
PICT0052b.jpg

I've drilled a hole through the top flash bracket on the vidcam flash bracket (still leaving the bracket in working condition) and fitted a small tripod ball head to it and then fixed the off camera flash cord end to this. This enables me to position the flash in several ways, but the most interesting seems to be just above the lens.

PICT0053ca.jpg

PICT0054c.jpg

Couple of test pics with the flash in this position.

CRW_7227c.jpg

CRW_7232c.jpg

Brian V.

Comments

• Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    Awesome shots! thumb.gifclap and thank you for sharing the infor on your flash rig.

Regards,
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    ah, very cool. I like the look of the light - the angle really helps to show off the textures. great shots!
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    ah, very cool. I like the look of the light - the angle really helps to show off the textures. great shots!
    flies...why so many flies??!!! (making a joke!). nice hardware work...keep things like this coming. I found your work to be very interesting and right on. thanks!
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    So what flash and lens is that? I like the setup.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Awesome shots! thumb.gifclap and thank you for sharing the infor on your flash rig.
    Regards,
    Thanks Rohirrim
    Brian V.
    Phil U. wrote:
    Thanks Phil U- will have to see how other pics work out.
    Brian V.
    photodoug wrote:
    flies...why so many flies??!!! (making a joke!). nice hardware work...keep things like this coming. I found your work to be very interesting and right on. thanks!
    Thanks photodoug
    Brian V.
    Red Bull wrote:
    So what flash and lens is that? I like the setup.
    It's a sigma 105mm EX macro lens and a sigma 500 super DG flash with the wide angle dispersion element deployed and an obviously homemade light box fitted to the end. I shoot in manual mode normally 1/200th F16 with the flash in ETTL mode.

Brian V.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    That close-up of the bee's head is awesome thumb.gif (I assume it's a bee from the pollen).

I'd really appreciate it if you could you show some pics of your softbox attachment to see it in more detail (ie from the front and back and how you fitted it to the flash).

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    That close-up of the bee's head is awesome thumb.gif (I assume it's a bee from the pollen).

I'd really appreciate it if you could you show some pics of your softbox attachment to see it in more detail (ie from the front and back and how you fitted it to the flash).

regards
    alan
    Thanks Alan
    The last pic is actually a hoverfly yelrotflmao.gif

Here's some pics of the diffuser- feel ashamed to post them really, but suppose it does work.
    Made from cutting the main section out of a 2LTr milk container (thin diffuse plastic) lot of duct tape and aluminium foil lining the inside sides. Couple of strips of velcro sticky fastener on the edge that slips over the flash (no fastener on the flash)- this just helps it friction hold onto the flash. The last thing is a piece of kitchen paper towel over the milk carton face (the pattern makes all the difference! yelrotflmao.gif ). I also deploy the wide angle diffuser built into the flash head.
    Hope that helps
    Brian V.
    CRW_7261c.jpg

CRW_7262c.jpg

CRW_7263c.jpg

CRW_7264c.jpg
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    Thanks Alan
    The last pic is actually a hoverfly rolleyes1.gif

Here's some pics of the diffuser- feel ashamed to post them really, but suppose it does work.
    Made from cutting the main section out of a 2LTr milk container (thin diffuse plastic) lot of duct tape and aluminium foil lining the inside sides. Couple of strips of velcro sticky fastener on the edge that slips over the flash (no fastener on the flash)- this just helps it friction hold onto the flash. The last thing is a piece of kitchen paper towel over the milk carton face (the pattern makes all the difference! rolleyes1.gif ). I also deploy the wide angle diffuser built into the flash head.
    Hope that helps
    Brian V.
    Thanks Brian - this certainly gives Heath Robinson a new meaning rolleyes1.gif. Be careful Shay Stephens may pinch it for his ShayTech designs.

Once certainly can't argue with the results you're getting with it. I'll definitely look into building something on these lines once I get my off-camera flash cable. Do you have the 300 firmware hack to allow FEC, or are you getting enough light as is?

regards
    alan
    ps: After seeing your stuff, I'll bet it's a hoverfly that I had on my day lily!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Thanks Brian - this certainly gives Heath Robinson a new meaning rolleyes1.gif. Be careful Shay Stephens may pinch it for his ShayTech designs.

Once certainly can't argue with the results you're getting with it. I'll definitely look into building something on these lines once I get my off-camera flash cable. Do you have the 300 firmview hack to allow FEC, or are you getting enough light as is?

regards
    alan
    ps: After seeing your stuff, I'll bet it's a hoverfly that I had on my day lily!
    Think you are right , it is a hoverfly!
    No hack on the camera, can set FEC on the flash if I need to, but most of the time recently it's been set at +0. I do shoot RAW so it gives me some latitude on exposure.
    ps I do change the kitchen towel on the front every now and then. rolleyes1.gif
    Brian V.
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    Brian as always great shots and thnxs for sharing your set up with us. If you could remember one day I would apreciate it if you could show me a shot without the flash and with the flash so I can see how much the flash helps out the shot. Thnxs in advance..
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Brian as always great shots and thnxs for sharing your set up with us. If you could remember one day I would apreciate it if you could show me a shot without the flash and with the flash so I can see how much the flash helps out the shot. Thnxs in advance..
    Thanks, here's some shots of a damsel fly I did a while ago, these are not at 1:1 and the differences get much bigger as you get near to 1:1 (I still have not managed a decent non-flash shot at 1:1 handheld (the aperture tends to end up wide open with just about zero DOF).Have to admit I have not explored changing the ISO too much as I had problems with grainyness on crops at ISO200 so I tend to leave it at 100. I'll leave you to work out which are the flash shots. I actually did these to see if there were any colour differences.
    BrianV.
    CRW_4235c.jpg

CRW_4236c.jpg

CRW_4240c.jpg

CRW_4241c.jpg
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005
    Thnxs Brian for yoru quick response. It is clear why a flash helps these shots greatly..
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2005

I've drilled a hole through the top flash bracket on the vidcam flash bracket (still leaving the bracket in working condition) and fitted a small tripod ball head to it and then fixed the off camera flash cord end to this. This enables me to position the flash in several ways, but the most interesting seems to be just above the lens.

PICT0053ca.jpg

PICT0054c.jpg
    As usual, awesome pics. Thanks so much for the equipment shots, too. I have a couple questions. Where did you get that flash bracket? It looks similar to this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=131401&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

How is the ball head attached to the cold shoe? Nut/bolt? Also, what is that white circular piece on the back of the bracket?

I'm trying to rig up a way of attaching a x-small Photoflex softbox to a flash bracket on my F717 and you've given me some more ideas. Thanks!
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2005
    A. It's actually a generic light bracket for a video camera, so it is similar to the one at B&H. I originally modded it slightly by redrilling two of the holes holding the side mounted flash fixing so it pointed slightly downwards (you can see this in the pic).
    Q. How is the ball head attached to the cold shoe? Nut/bolt?
    A. Just a 1/4" bolt with some spring washers and some washers cut from butyl rubber sheet (I keep fish). This makes it rotatable but it holds it's position in use.

Q.what is that white circular piece on the back of the bracket?

A. It's my homemade shutter trigger (made from a mobile phone earpiece/microphone cable, a couple of switches from an old joystick and a round white plastic container originally holding ear protectors). I use this to fire the shutter as it helps stop camera rotation I sometimes got from the normal shutter release. As you can see I hate spending money when I can make something a lot cheaper- I also enjoy making them.

Hope this helps
    Brian V.