Options

Manfrotto 496RC2 Head + Sigma 50-500mm

dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited January 8, 2010 in Accessories
Firstly, I have searched the forum, and have not found my answer

Now that that's out of the way, I am upgrading my current tripod and am curious if any of you are using this head?

The biggest lens I have is the Sigma 50-500mm, and am wondering if this head will support its weight in real life. The specs on this head say that it will support 13 pounds, however the product specification tab states that it will support cameras with a MEDIUM lens;
B&H wrote:
The Manfrotto 496 Compact Ball Head with RC2 Quick Release Plate is constructed of die-cast aluminum, strong enough to support SLR or DSLR cameras with a medium lens, and light medium format cameras.(snip)

I am guessing that together my D90 and Bigma does not exceed 6~7 pounds. I know that mathematically the combination is within advertised tolerable limits, but the specification tab has me cautious, because in my mind I consider the Sigma 50-500mm a BIG lens.

Will this head work for me?

660321.jpg

Or should I look at the 498CR2 which advertises that it will support 17 pounds, but like the 496RC2, its specification tab says the exact same thing. "Will support dslr's with a medium lens"....

660311.jpg
Duke

Comments

• Options
    gowiththeflowgowiththeflow Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    I can't find anything on the relative sizes and weights of those two, but Amazon lists the 496 as the replacement to the 486 ballhead. If that's really the case, I'd definitely step up to the 498. My tripod came with a 486 on it, and I wouldn't use it for more than a P&S or holding a flash... why the PO had one mounted on their 055 tripod is beyond me. headscratch.gif Judging from the pics, it also looks like 496 lacks a separate pan lock, though that probably matters less now that they added the static friction control.
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback.

498 is on the way to me.

I actually found some nice reviews on youtube, which with them and your comment led me onward to the 498.
    Duke