Options

Photography is my Life

Nicole PhotographyNicole Photography Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 3, 2010 in The Big Picture
Photography is my life and I want to make a career out of it but I just dont know how to get people to buy my stuff.... or where to go to take my pictures of like people?.... Portraits and Nature are my favorite! Im a Senior at a Career Center for Photography... I really hope to go far in this field... any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Photography is my life and I want to make a career out of it but I just dont know how to get people to buy my stuff.... or where to go to take my pictures of like people?.... Portraits and Nature are my favorite! Im a Senior at a Career Center for Photography... I really hope to go far in this field... any suggestions?

I have by no means "made it" but what I have done to get my foot in the door of selling my landscapes is to find out what my niche market is and go from there. Most of my landscapes are from the area I live in which is blessed with many state parks that are very under visited due to the close proximity to the smokies. There are also some fine art galleries around as well. I began by approaching them with examples of my work and we went from there.

When I talk about a niche, I mean to find what sets you apart from every other photographer or at least in the area in which you live. Your locale may be all that is needed for a "niche." For example, I won't be trying to market my sunsets/sunrises at the beach or shots from Costa Rica here in Middle TN. It would mean nothing to the people buying other than a " oh look at that pretty picture." However, interesting or beautiful captures of local points of interest will easily sell at the local galleries.

Start by going to your local galleries and talking with the owners. See what THEY want and go from there. Often times they know what their patrons want and what they can sell.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a full time pro so take my "advice" with a grain of salt. I do sell my landscapes on a consistent basis but learned several years ago it was just a way to supplement my main income. Currently focusing on building wedding clientele.
  • Options
    Nicole PhotographyNicole Photography Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2010
    Thanks for the information ... Ill defiantly look into the local galleries arounds here and ask questions.