Options

>>> jeffreaux2, People Photo Challenge #2 winner

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited January 8, 2010 in People
jeffreaux2 won the people photo challenge #2: High Key. I asked him to answer a few questions, and this is what he told me:

WHO ARE YOU? Hello, I am 42 years old and my name is Jeffrey Mann. I live on the outskirts of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. My wife and I will celebrated 24 years of marriage in May, and we are the proud parents of three wonderful kids. I am an operations controller at a major chemical manufacturer in Baton Rouge. While shift work isn't for everyone, it does allow me the time to pursue other activities such as my photography, and working with youth through our church. I do on location portraits, wedding, and event photography through J.K. Mann Photography (www.jkmann.com), my budding business. "Through The Lens" (www.jkmann.blogspot.com) is a blog that I keep (mostly) up to date to catalog my photographic endeavors.

731587972_sk77n-XL-1.jpg
"Breanna"

WHEN DID YOU JOIN DGRIN? WHICH FORUM(S) DO YOU FREQUENT MOST? Shortly after purchasing my first DSLR I began hosting through Smugmug. I had tried several other alternatives. The simplicity of storing, sharing, and printing through one site combined with the ability to fully customize my website is what sold me. My favorite feature is their speedy and common sense customer service. These folks will go way out of their way to make sure that they are not the weak link in your photographic endeavors. I began visiting and joined Dgrin in March of 2007 shortly after I established my Smugmug account. My “hangouts” on Dgrin most often include “Weddings”, “People”, and “Technique”, although I do wander into other areas now and then. I was a moderator for “Weddings” for awhile, but due to my busy schedule I felt that I couldn’t give it the attention that it deserved and handed those reigns over. Kudos to the admins and moderators of Dgrin!!! It can be a tough job, and most often goes unnoticed.

449820956_LQPXP-XL.jpg
"Head Over Heels"

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY? DID YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOGRAPHY TRAINING? An uncle lent me his 35mm Canon when I was 16. He spent about 15 minutes explaining the trinity of aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. I remember it had the old analog exposure meter built in; a needle that moved from left to right to represent under, over, and ideal exposure. At the time, I wanted to capture landscape and architectural type photographs for the sake of reproducing them in pencil or watercolor. It wasn't long before I was capturing these images solely for the sake of the photograph. He is my number one recipient of emailed images.
346709092_sFFTV-XL-1.jpg
"The Honeymooners"

My training consists of trial, error, and hard knocks mostly, though I also have a huge appetite for reading and studying anything on the subject of photography. I would like to say I am an accomplished all around type photographer, but in truth have found that my strengths lie in photographing people rather than landscapes or still life type work. In light of that, I tend to focus in on subjects that will enhance my skills as a portrait photographer. Feedback from the many excellent photographers that frequent the DGrin forum has been an invaluable learning tool. After all, if you can somehow pass muster with other photographers, then you shouldn't have a problem satisfying anyone else.

WHAT EQUIPMENT DO YOU HAVE/USE?

Cameras
Canon 50D and Canon XTi

Lenses
Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS, 50mm F1.4, and 70-200mm F2.8L IS

Accessories
Canon STE2, 580EX, and 580EXII speedlights, Manfrotto monopod, 13’ Lightstand, 45 and 60 inch convertible umbrellas, Phoxle flash match gels, assorted light modifiers for the speedlights

Editing Environment
Intel Core i7 based PC that I built from scratch. It includes 12 Gigs of RAM and runs a 64bit OS. I do most of my editing in Adobe Lightroom and use Photoshop CS3 for tasks that Lightroom isn’t capable of handling. I use Adobe Premiere for slideshows and video editing tasks.

338050786_7UFdP-XL-1.jpg
"Brooks"

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE THING/SUBJECT/PLACE TO PHOTOGRAPH? My personal preference is on location outdoor portraits in shade or overcast daylight. Although I am constantly on the lookout for promising and picturesque locations to use as backdrops for my portraits, I much prefer that the location actually mean something to my subjects. Such locations instantly add value to the photograph for that person, even if it is only sentimental. As a sentimental type of guy I think there is something to be said for that.
492821765_YnCEL-XL.jpg
"Jesse"

As for the choice in using shady locations? Natural light in shady locations is much easier to manage than a sunny location. Nice shaping shadows can still be had in the shade, but are much less harsh than when in direct light. An added bonus is that a common speedlight can be used to provide any additional light that is needed. I get frequent comments on my photographs referring to how beautiful the light is, but in reality it is beautiful shade. If I have done my job well you should not notice it, but I use flash in some form or other in most every portrait I shoot.

464383288_cwh4a-XL-1.jpg
"Garrett"

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PHOTO? I don’t have a favorite. They are like children or old friends to me. Some surely have their faults, but they each have their place in my heart. My current desktop background is an out take shot of my youngest daughter. I shot it as we were working on her senior portfolio last summer on the beach in Destin, Florida.
731588420_tpBkc-XL-1.jpg

WHAT'S THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU PHOTOGRAPHY WISE? The trinity of exposure, as taught by my uncle still applies. Taking the time to learn how ISO, shutter speed, and aperture affect one another AND the image is a MUST.

WHAT'S THE ONE THING/ADVICE THAT YOU WANT TO GIVE OTHER'S? Tame the lure of gadgets and gear and realize that the gear plays only a small part in a beautiful photograph. Vision and creativity are the real foundation for stunning images. The gadgets are only a means to an end. Instead of looking at a gorgeous image and wondering what camera or lens was used, focus instead on the camera angle, where was the photographer in relationship to the subject, what direction is the light coming from, how were the background or foreground used to add interest, why does it work better in color or black and white. These are the real questions to ask and the answers will have a greater impact on improving your photography than gear…at any cost.

373493484_ZDPox-XL.jpg
"Nearsighted"

WHO/WHAT ARE YOUR BIGGEST INFLUENCES IN PHOTOGRAPHY? Though my style may not show it, I am a huge fan of 1960's portrait and wedding photography. I find the colors and tones of the prints as well as the atmosphere created with those bare bulb flashes to be purely magical. It stems from the available equipment as well as the overall mood and style of that era. I like that classic look.

736585064_wL6Ga-XL-1.jpg
"Buttoning-up"

507582230_25kGh-XL-1.jpg
"First Dance"

SO WHAT ABOUT YOUR WINNING ENTRY?Tina!!! My oldest daughter.
I shot that on September 16 2007 while capturing her senior portraits. This was to be the first of many senior portfolios for me as it launched me into offering my love of photography to others.
738685824_Sk9Fs-XL.jpg

We were on the steps of our state capitol building, a concrete and granite structure that is situated so that it becomes a very large lightbox in late afternoon light. She was lit from below, behind, left, and right by the skylight reflected from those surfaces in open shade, and was looking up at me and the blue afternoon sky. It is a location where I frequently shoot, and I have many shots of other subjects that were taken within a few feet of where she sat that day. The equipment used was a Canon XTi and 50mm F1.8 lens in existing light. The particulars: ISO200, 1/320, F3.2 in Aperture Priority. RAW file processed in Lightroom with other enhancements done in Photoshop. Special attention was given to keep the image as bright as possible. I like the way light washes over me when I view it electronically. The brightness also made for a stunning print.

If you want to see more of Jeff's work, go to his website: http://www.jkmann.com or his blog: www.jkmann.blogspot.com
Comments? questions? post them here!

For more info on the people photo challenges, go here. Why not participate yourself?!?!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    congrats and I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Interview clap.gif
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Nicely done, Jeff! clap.gif Happy New Year!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    congrats and I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Interview clap.gif

Heh heh....

I bet you liked the part where I described the exposure meter on that old Canon. To the left is under....to the right is over.....but in portrait orientation....all bets are off!!!

Remember those days? rolleyes1.gif

Happy New Year Andy...wishing you and your staff a great one!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2010
    Elaine wrote:
    Nicely done, Jeff! clap.gif Happy New Year!

Thanks Elaine...

... and a Happy New Year to you...and yours!!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    ShayebrydShayebryd Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Awesome read...................fantastic advice.....and as always Jeff, INCREDIBLE photography!
    Great thread!!!!clap.gif
    "My favorite thing is to go where I've never been!"
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Beautiful and inspirational work. Well deserved win.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Congratulations, Jeff. You and your work are always an inspiration.Nice way to start a year!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 1, 2010
    Great interview Jeff, congratulations!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Very nice write up! It's great to see one of our own doing so well. Your personal growth and your family are an inspiration to us all!

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    frewhlfrewhl Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Local done good.

When I was a LSU, a photography student shot a bunch of me near the capitol.

I like the way you described the natural light box.I have not grown into flash yet.

I also liked analog meters, I am color deficient, LEDs were always a wash.

And the shift work, I work all day, leaves me open for sunrise, and whatever I can find on the way home at night. And a great sunset from the restaurant I work at every night.

Great photos, and a great interview.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2010
    Shayebryd wrote:
    Awesome read...................fantastic advice.....and as always Jeff, INCREDIBLE photography!
    Great thread!!!!clap.gif

Thank You!

-The advice is solid.

...to explain a bit farther though....

...I can't imagine that a new camera or lens...regardless of it's price or capabilities...would suddenly improve my photography.ne_nau.gif

-On the other hand...spending extra time...and thought before pressing the shutter....even if it were only an additional 30 seconds to compose. That...I think...would have a dramatic impact.:D
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2010
    frewhl wrote:
    Local done good.

When I was a LSU, a photography student shot a bunch of me near the capitol.

I like the way you described the natural light box.I have not grown into flash yet.

I also liked analog meters, I am color deficient, LEDs were always a wash.

And the shift work, I work all day, leaves me open for sunrise, and whatever I can find on the way home at night. And a great sunset from the restaurant I work at every night.

Great photos, and a great interview.

-adding flash to your skill set can certainly expand what you are capable of doing. A really good flash...one that works well with your system...can make all the gear you already own much more flexible.

-I don't use the viewfinder meter either...I keep the cameras set up so that I get a peek at the histogram after each shot AND during review. I expose to the right...amd it's simple enough to zoom in IF I just have to check for critical focus. The histogram is in black and white.

Thanks for commenting....

Where are you now? Still Baton Rouge?mwink.gif
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Congratulations again, Jeff and thanks for sharing some of your story here. Great read.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ChrisP6ChrisP6 Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Way to Grow Jeff!
    Jeff, It's great to see the evolution and growth in your work -- awesome and inspiring stuff! I too loved the interview clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Congratulations again, Jeff and thanks for sharing some of your story here. Great read.

Thanks Andrew!!!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2010
    ChrisP6 wrote:
    Jeff, It's great to see the evolution and growth in your work -- awesome and inspiring stuff! I too loved the interview clap.gif

Happy New Year Chris!!!

I will be in touch soon. I REALLY need to replace my set of Phoxles. I have used that original set now since April of 2008. Thats nearly two years!!!....but more importantly for me they saw me through two full seasons of senior portraits. Its an excellent product. Now if I could find a similarly designed gel in CTS!!!!:D

A very big part of my color management begins with using the Phoxles with flash on location. It's amazing to me that something so simple can have such a huge impact on final results.deal.gif

Thanks for looking...and taking the time to comment...thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    great read! congrats on the win!wings.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Big fan here. I hope to shoot seniors as well as you someday. Thanks for your advice, and congrats on the win.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.