Options

Street & PJ 2009 Year in Review

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited December 14, 2009 in Street and Documentary
...sort of. This isn't a challenge in the sense that you have to go shoot even a single image for it - although you certainly may if you wish. But what you do have to do, by January 7, 2010, is submit the three best images you shot between Jan 1., 2009, and mid-night, Dec. 31, 2009.

No, this is not a contest. There will not be "winners" and "losers." The challenge is to look through all the images you've made in the past year. The hundreds? Thousands? And winnow that down to your best three.

Then what? I'm going to ask Richard if there's some way to set up a special gallery for the images, with it set up in such a way that everyone can leave comments.

And, if I can work up the energy - or if we have some terrific volunteer - we might create a Blurb book of the images.

Everyone game?

:ivar :ivar
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    Excellent idea, B.D. I'll get to searching right away! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2009
    I really like this idea and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's top 3 offerings. Bring 'em on!!

wings.gifwings.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,926 moderator
    edited December 10, 2009
    Sounds good to me. I'm not sure whether we can get a separate gallery, but I'll work on it. In the meantime, the hard part is picking your top three, so get going on that for now and I'll post instructions on what to do with them once I get it sorted out. deal.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    I'm in!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    And, if I can work up the energy - or if we have some terrific volunteer - we might create a Blurb book of the images.

I might be that terrific volunteer if I knew what a Blurb book was.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gif

What he said! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif I'll be back from Newcastle in time to hopefully include something from that trip.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    I might be that terrific volunteer if I knew what a Blurb book was.

ROFLaughing.gif! rolleyes1.gif (Give me a call.mwink.gif )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2009
    I'm in. - Will start looking.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    I researched Blurb Books.

There seem to be some alternatives. For example, Shutterfly has one and of course you can make a SmugMug book. I'm not sure anyone else will market your book on their website for you like Blurb Books. Perhaps someone else knows the options here.

If Richard can't come up with a SmugMug gallery for this, we can always come up with something that will work. At a minimum, just a submission thread...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    If Richard can't come up with a SmugMug gallery for this, we can always come up with something that will work. At a minimum, just a submission thread...

The gallery is in testing at the moment. I'm hoping it will be open for business tomorrow, Monday at the latest.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    The gallery is in testing at the moment. I'm hoping it will be open for business tomorrow, Monday at the latest.

Yay! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    I've got a 10 hour flight on Thursday that I'll use to go through 2009 and organise things in prep for 2010. I'll be sure to whittle down a selection for my top-3.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2009
    It's showtime. The gallery is open for business. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks to BD, Rutt, Flyinggina and Ivar for help along the way, and to SmugMug for hosting a bunch of street people. thumb.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Richard wrote:

Thanks to BD, Rutt, Flyinggina and Ivar for help along the way, and to SmugMug for hosting a bunch of street people. thumb.gif

You guys ROCK!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Richard wrote:

Yay! My photos are uploading as I type. Thanks very much to everyone involved in getting things set up. clap.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    AWESOME. Not sure how many of my favorites will qualify as street/pj, but I'm going to start digging. BD, you are such a wonderful part of the dgrin community - thank you for your ideas, insights, advice, and wonderful dry sense of humour! clap.gif