Options

More keyword woes

alacraneraalacranera Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited December 6, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I disabled filename keywording on the control panel the moment I read that feature had been instituted.

As of this morning, I'd cleaned out all the auto-generated keywords, which in my case are all numerical. As of this afternoon, they're back. I'd left the browser open, and my site has been busy all day reindexing keywords that I had removed. Despite that "filename keywording" is disabled, and has been for several days. If I open a gallery that has not been opened in a while (because I knew that would start generating trash), it starts auto-indexing keywords out of filenames right before my eyes.

What's up with that? Is auto-generation really optional, or just another "feature" that sounds good, but doesn't work?

I am losing my patience.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    I'm so sorry about this, I don't know what's up until I can see your site. Can you give me a link to your site here, please? Thanks.

EDIT: Found your site, http://alacranera.smugmug.com/.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm so sorry about this, I don't know what's up until I can see your site. Can you give me a link to your site here, please? Thanks.

EDIT: Found your site, http://alacranera.smugmug.com/.
    Can you now show me the gallery where keywords were re-auto-generated? Paste a link, here, please. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Can you now show me the gallery where keywords were re-auto-generated? Paste a link, here, please. Thanks.

Thanks, Andy. It's not "A" gallery, it's a whole bunch of galleries. But here's a clue for you: I haven't been thru all new keywords, but it seems the galleries that are regenerating keywords are set to "unlisted". I do not see any "public" galleries with this behavior.

Here is one example that is still indexing as I type this. I just now made it a public gallery, because I'm not sure you can see it otherwise: http://alacranera.smugmug.com/Other/200301-Solana-Beach/
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 6, 2009
    Filename keywording only ever happens on initial upload. Keywords were extracted and concatentated with iptc keywords and saved into the keyword string. It is this keyword string that is indexed into keywords. So it's not processing filename keywords again, the values already exist in the keyword string.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    Filename keywording only ever happens on initial upload. Keywords were extracted and concatentated with iptc keywords and saved into the keyword string. It is this keyword string that is indexed into keywords. So it's not processing filename keywords again, the values already exist in the keyword string.

I don't understand this. These were galleries that had never auto-indexed the "junk" keywords ( I assumed because I hadn't opened them since the keyword ails began a few weeks ago). But as of today, they all auto-indexed themselves (and I'd still not opened any of them). The auto-keywords are showing up both in the logged-in keyword string, and in the logged-in indexed keyword search box. There were zero junk keywords left in my indexed keyword search box 5 hours ago, and now there are about 500, and I've not been near the computer all day.

As I said, these all seem to be emanating from "unlisted" galleries, and thus are not showing up in the public (not-logged-in) keyword search.

Whether I'm describing the odd behavior accurately enough for diagnosis, something is badly amiss.