• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization Make Gallery style look like livebooks?

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Dec-03-2009, 10:30 AM
QuincyDein is offline QuincyDein OP
NA
Nt
Nt

Last edited by QuincyDein; Nov-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec-03-2009, 02:20 PM
photokandy is offline photokandy
Shutternut
Getting a single column of images is easy enough by manipulating the CSS a bit, but getting a large image? I'm not sure how best to go about that one, given I'm not sure how SM decides to generate the image size in the gallery. It's possible, of course, to add on some javascript that could go and resize the center image, but that starts smelling "hackish".

But getting a single wide column isn't too bad... I'd think you could put this into a custom theme and change the gallery to that theme? Or, add it to your site's CSS, but you'll have to be careful not to collide with styles on other pages...

Code:
#thumbnails.leftColumn
{
    width: 125px;
    /* If you want some height and a scrollbar, add these: */
    height: 600px;
    overflow: auto;
    display: inline-block;
}
#displayPhoto.rightColumn
{
    width:800px; /* change 800px depending on what you need... this assumes a fixed-width site. */
}
This does nothing about the size of the image in the right column, though. I'm not even sure how to approach that problem at the moment. Likewise, SM still assumes several images on the page, and this does nothing to correct or change the pagination, so users would have to know to scroll to see more images, unless you came up with a more elegant method. (It's late, so I'm sure there is one that my brain isn't thinking of...!)

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
but dgrin, please.

My Gear List
Old Dec-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Shutternut
Yeah, it would take a lot of work to get that to be presentable -- and a lot of hacking to make it work.

Something I've been toying with, but have yet to get it working, is a javascript slideshow that would pull off of any RSS feed. It already has a layout similar to the one you want (see the slideshow on my front page; hover over an image to see the sidebar thumbnails), and can be any size you want. The glitch right now is that I haven't got the rss feeds working from javascript yet -- you have to have PHP to make it work at the moment.

If I ever do get it to work, it'd be something you could add, either to the site as a whole (and just trigger it if it is on a gallery page), or just to specific galleries. But until then, I really don't have a good solution for you. :-(

(That said, if you do have a PHP host that you could use, and you want the code for it, I'm more than happy to share. When I do get it working purely javascript, I'll make a wider announcement for that.)

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
but dgrin, please.

My Gear List
Old Dec-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Shutternut
Ok - I'm nuts. My homepage doesn't have that style. It's the portfolio that does... duh (It is a Friday, and my brain's taken a vacation).

To see what I mean, go here: http://www.photokandy.com/portfolio/...o.php?a=people

Hover over the slideshow, and I have the thumbnails in a similar style (although formatted 2-wide).

but dgrin, please.

My Gear List
Tell The World!