Options

Need info: combining autobracketed exposures using PS "Apply image"

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited November 28, 2009 in Finishing School
Some time ago I found a technique described on a website how to combine autobracketed exposures using "Apply image" in Photoshop. I did not find this website again after a long search. It is not a HDR technique, the results look different. It involves using Scripts, stacking, ordering the layers, and using Apply image and masks.

If anyone knows this technique, I would be very grateful if you could reply with the exact steps, or a link!:lust

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    I have just tested this -

File> Scripts> Stack+autoalign> order layers from bottom neutral, under, over exposed (I am referring to the 3 autobracketed exposures)> create layer masks for the under and over, set to "Show all"> with layer mask selected, "Apply image" for each under and over, with "Invert" (blend set to "Multiply") checked for the under and unchecked for the over... finally, adjust layers as you like

- and it seems to be correct.

A beautiful little technique for extending dynamic range without the eccentricities of the HDR way. Once you have it you can take it wherever you want.

Neil

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 28, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Some time ago I found a technique described on a website how to combine autobracketed exposures using "Apply image" in Photoshop. I did not find this website again after a long search. It is not a HDR technique, the results look different. It involves using Scripts, stacking, ordering the layers, and using Apply image and masks.

If anyone knows this technique, I would be very grateful if you could reply with the exact steps, or a link!iloveyou.gif

Neil
    Hey Neil,

I haven´t seen the site you mentioned, but I am a little skeptical that there´s a ¨one size fits all¨ technique that can be scripted. There´s just too much variation among images to know what channels will give you the best results. But yes, a combination of masks and blending modes created with apply image gives you some powerful ways to combine multiple exposures without making tedious (and obvious) selections.

The key to the whole thing is inverting channels when creating masks. If you have a bright exposure on top of a dark one, for example, to get shadow detail you would select whichever channel has the darkest shadows and apply an inverted copy to the mask on the bright layer. That would allow the lighter shadows from the bright layer to show while blocking its highlights, which may well be blown. You can further refine the process by using one of the lightening or darkening blending modes, blend-if sliders and adjusting opacity. One nice thing about the Apply Image command is that you can easily cycle through all of the available layers and channels and preview the results before making the copy.

BTW, there´s a ton of great relevant information in Katrin Eismann´s book, Photoshop Masking and Compositing. I highly recommend it.deal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2009
    Great reply, R! What you describe, and what I outlined above, are obviously basically the same technique, so I understand the workings of it and the possibilities. Thanks for confirming I am on the right track, and reminding me of the value of exploring it further.

Neil