EXERCISE: Turkey Shoot Revisited!!

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited November 19, 2009 in Street and Documentary
That's right - a new BDexercise! :rofl

You've got allot of time to think about this one - and only one day to shoot it.
One week from this coming Monday, submit one truly candid image of a person or people that says "Thanksgiving." Interpret that any way you wish.

You may NOT set this up. No posing. No giving the kids cute turkey hats before photographing them - unless it's something your family does every year. No putting the turkey on the floor for little Tinkerbell, your miniature poodle, to savage. This should be a a truly candid image, a 'decisive moment' to coin a phrase. It may be taken anywhere, between 12:01 a.m. and 11:59 p.m. on Thanksgiving day.

[edit by Richard] Non-US residents may also participate by submitting a photo which is representative of their country/culture.

Okay?

Charge your batteries!!:clap :clap :clap
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Awww, man! Now I've got to spend Thanksgiving with people. :D Thanks for the new exercise, B.D.!
    Travis
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Does there have to be a turkey (poultry type) in the picture?

Virgnia

PS - Hope you are feeling better BD.

Email
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Oooo.... given that (weather permitting) we're planning on smoking the bird this year, this could be interesting.... :Drolleyes1.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Oooo.... given that (weather permitting) we're planning on smoking the bird this year, this could be interesting.... :Drolleyes1.gif
    Yeah, because that would take a Lot of rolling papers and plenty of matches! eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif

(sorry, just had to slip that one in, with the image your Post gave me!mwink.gif )
    thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    That's right - a new BDexercise! rolleyes1.gif

You've got allot of time to think about this one - and only one day to shoot it.
    One week from this coming Monday, submit one truly candid image of a person or people that says "Thanksgiving." Interpret that any way you wish.

You may NOT set this up. No posing. No giving the kids cute turkey hats before photographing them - unless it's something your family does every year. No putting the turkey on the floor for little Tinkerbell, your miniature poodle, to savage. This should be a a truly candid image, a 'decisive moment' to coin a phrase. It may be taken anywhere, between 12:01 a.m. and 11:59 p.m. on Thanksgiving day.

Okay?

Charge your batteries!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Include people? Yes!
    Include a turkey? Up to you.

AND - here's an important modification, and one that I know will stun people - Whatever photo you post, it must bear the caption - "Thanksgiving - 2009" - and the image must make sense in the context of the caption. Clear?thumb.gif :ivar
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Include people? Yes!

AND - here's an important modification, and one that I know will stun people - Whatever photo you post, it must bear the caption - "Thanksgiving - 2009" - and the image must make sense in the context of the caption. Clear?thumb.gif :ivar

Umm, Ok... Should prove an interesting challenge given where I'm liable to be next Thursday.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Include people? Yes!

OMG. Stunned am I. Just when I was beginning to get used to going caption free. This is going to be a tough one. headscratch.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited November 19, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I have to question a teacher who repeatedly forces his students out of their self-imposed molds, offers them an alternative way of thinking and then forces them out of the mold they form from that alternative. One might think you're trying to help... eek7.gif

I've got my eye on you... :patch
    Travis
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I have to question a teacher who repeatedly forces his students out of their self-imposed molds, offers them an alternative way of thinking and then forces them out of the mold they form from that alternative. One might think you're trying to help... eek7.gif

I've got my eye on you... :patch

Sorry for the totally randomness, but Travis I just noticed you're from Bowling Green...not too far from my neck of the woods, LSL. nice to see another local around here. thumb.gif
    edited November 19, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Sorry for the totally randomness, but Travis I just noticed you're from Bowling Green...not too far from my neck of the woods, LSL. nice to see another local around here. thumb.gif
    Fantastic! We should go shoot people together sometime. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Yeah, because that would take a Lot of rolling papers and plenty of matches! eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif

(sorry, just had to slip that one in, with the image your Post gave me!mwink.gif )
    thumb.gif

Don

rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, as soon as I typed it I had all sorts of images too - most of them involvnig firetrucks and sirens!!! My husband is determined, however... as long as it's not raining (it's an electric smoker), he's all for doin' it this way... :D
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    DonRicklin wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

thumb.gif

Don

It's not often I get a belly laugh from something I read, but this image just cracked me up! I think it was the rolling papers. rolleyes1.gif

That and the futile attempts at lighting the bird with matches, the burned fingers, followed by the acetylene torch!

Mr. Bean could do marvelous things with this idea.
    edited November 19, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    OMG. Stunned am I. Just when I was beginning to get used to going caption free. This is going to be a tough one. headscratch.gif

Virginia

Well, I was thinking that this would make it MUCH easier - no need for turkeys, pilgrim hats, or drunks at football games - although those are all fine.rolleyes1.gif This way it can be whatever you want it to be...as long as the rest of us get the connection of that title to your photo without some long-winded, b.s. 'but I saw,' 'but there was this guy,' 'but my Mom was scared by a turkey when she was pregnant' explanation. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :ivar
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Hey! No fair! What about all of us who AREN'T American???? Can we post photos taken, in say, October when it was Thanksgiving in Canada for instance?
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited November 19, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    Hey! No fair! What about all of us who AREN'T American???? Can we post photos taken, in say, October when it was Thanksgiving in Canada for instance?
    Okay. One photo. You know the caption.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay. One photo. You know the caption.

Hehehe....
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    Man, I try to spend one single itty bitty day of the year without a camera in my hand, and look what you gone and done...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..