Options

Eureka Dunes - Different perspective?

kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited November 20, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi all, I haven't hardly posted at all over here in the Landscape forum though I've been on dgrin for awhile. Anyway, just back from Death Valley and would love any C&C folks have. Some shot notes below the photos...

716682787_H8p8F-XL.jpg

The above shot looks nice even LARGER

716682200_EbQJy-XL.jpg

I was trying to get something a bit different. So many shots of dunes and so many the same. I've always been struck by the setting of the Eureka Dunes so I found a spot in the mountains to try and capture their scale and amazing surroundings and then waited for that wonderful, surreal twilight that comes well after sunset. The second shot is a bit more conventional, though I tried to keep it high-key and accent the soft curves of the dunes rather than following my typical process of maximizing contrast and sharpness. I also found both of these worked best as B&W. I haven't done much B&W recently but I'm going with the "if it doesn't add it detracts" approach and in both these cases I don't think the color added anything. In fact I've found deep twilight shots like the first are often interpreted by many viewers as having "unreal colors" even if I process them straight.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

P.S. I hope to post some more from my trip in the coming days. I really want to make a concerted effort to get more input from other photographers!!!

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    Very nice unique treatment

thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 17, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Very nice unique treatment

thumb.gif

I agree. I did look at that first one large, and you're right. There's a lot of detail in there. Is that an HDR?

Second one is way cool too. Almost an abstract.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    SWEEEET!!!

How do you get to the vantage point in the 1st shot?

The dunes are on my list to hit on my next trip to DV.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Love both photos but #1 is the best. I like how the dunes are set in between the mountains. There are some halos along the top of the distant mountain. Other than that, great comp and lighting.clap.gif
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    These are beautiful; #1 being my favorite. You are right - the larger images is way better! Share the details?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    How do you get to the vantage point in the 1st shot?
    Very close to about here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?&z=12&q=37.1988+-117.707+(DunesOverlook)

The road definitely requires high clearence and 4WD is a big help as well. There are number of mining roads going in many directions in that area so pay attention or you may end up on the edge of a cliff without a great way to turn around...

Thanks for all the complements!

Ken
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 18, 2009
    kwalsh wrote:
    Thanks! You da man. bowdown.gif

Pretty quiet out in that area I'll bet. True? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Yup.... the graded road ends there.

Hey kwalsh, next time you're there and if in the southern part (near Ibis), try the Dumont Dunes. It's very white sand with good formations - with contrasting mountains behind, plus drive in & out

It's missed because its a state park and not on every bodies "list"
    Rags
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Everyone likes #1 and I do too, but I really like your 2nd photo. Very simple, but makes me want to take a walk through it barefoot :D
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    great shots, really like them both. i'm heading out there this weekend for the first time, thanks for the map!
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    I'll be there mid day for the falls near Panamint then sunset at Mesquite.

Maybe we'll run into each other.
    Rags
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    These are really good shots Ken. Love the first one. It just pops out at you. And the second shot is so simple, yet mesmerising. Wonderful stuff!

Cheers,
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2009
    awesome, just look for a group of 4 dudes making entirely too much noise :D
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Share the details?
    Thanks again everyone for the input! I'll try to wrap up the few questions I didn't answer already.

- No, the first one isn't HDR, just a single exposure processed in Lightroom.
    - Yep, I can see the haloing on the left edge of the mountains at the top, I'll have to see if I can fix that with a local edit. Thanks!
    - Yes, it can be very quiet out there - that almost overwhelming oppressive silence you only seem to get in the Mojave. It is, however, frequently shattered by a 20 year old strapped into $30 million of aviation technology passing just 150ft over your head at well over 600 knots. It is impressive and entertaining the first few times, but gets a bit tiresome after eight days... I feel no need to go to an airshow for a long time now. Saline Valley, particularly near the springs, is the most overflown spot. They do then streak over Steel Pass and then past the dunes sometimes.

Details:

- Both shot with Panasonic G1 and the 45-200
    - First tripod mounted, second hand held
    - First in deep twilight (after sunset) about a 6 second exposure with a polarizer.
    - Second a few hours before sunset, also with polarizer though in the final processing the polarizer really probably had the opposite effect I was looking for!
    - Both processed in Lightroom 2.5
    - First includes a gradient local adjustment to increased contrast and clarity for the upper parts of the image that were further away and thus had reduced contrast from more aerial haze.
    - Second is extremely simple processing, no local edits.
    - Both use a pseudo Platinum split tone effect (modified from the TLR presets).

I think that's everthing! BTW, I'm jealous of those of you living closer (I'm in Baltimore these days). I once lived just about an hour from Death Valley in Ridgecrest... Sigh...

I'll post a few more from the trip here shortly. Thanks for the feedback!

Ken
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2009
    Beautiful detail and light. Wonderful job!!