Options

Borrowed a Leica M6 TTL 0.85

PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
edited August 3, 2010 in Cameras
Which would you rather carry around?

697905723_xscgc-M.jpg

Been meaning to do this for a while. Hating the big DSLR thing right now for my people photos (it's a phase, obviously) and despite dabbling in flash and lighting, I'm an unabashed "available light" guy. My friend happens to have an idle M6 and a 35mm Summilux ASPH (for the uninitiated, Leica's f/1.4 lens line—a real premium piece of glass here) so I took receipt of it an hour ago for a week, maybe longer. Partly inspired by The Online Photographer's call to action, I'll try to document the experience here with a camera that most of us SLR people have never, and will never have the opportunity to try. I'm less than enthusiastic about dealing with the timeframe and cost of film, and quite how I intend to get these into digital form I'm not sure.

Despite a rangefinder's long list of down sides, the benefits for somebody who shoots candidly is beguiling:

• Quiet shutter. To work unobtrusively is my highest goal.
• Small size. It's not light weight (!) but it sure is wee in comparison to my DSLR. Just look at the lenses! That's the size for an f/1.4 lens that God himself intended. With that hood off, it's tiny.
• The system is designed for the kind if thing I want to be doing.
• All primes; very, very fast glass is available—as fast as f/0.95. I tend to gravitate toward these type of lenses naturally.
• I'm finding the DSLR and lens combo to be making me very self-conscious, as I do not do this professionally, and even if I did, the noise and size of my DSLR is a drag in candid settings. It has made me favor the 50 f/1.4 partly for size and non-show-off-y appearance, apart from the fact it's a favorite FL.

hoping this will augment my photography in certain areas.

I'd be interested to hear from any grinners who are RF shooters. We don't have a forum for it here, but we should.

697886803_fxCij-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ReeRayReeRay Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Rangefinder shooting
    Brilliant camera - awesome.

If you get the hang of shooting with a rangefinder (and manual at that) you'll love it.

RF shooting is a different style - no TTL view to start with.

Focusing and frame alignment can be an issue (especially with the 0.85) but the eventual results will be very pleasing.

I shoot a bevy of RF cameras, favourites being Contax G1 and G2, auto focusing, metered and Zeiss glass.

What more is there to say

p.s. I bet you'll find it difficult to hand back to your friend!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Day one. Went out and bought a couple rolls of Tri-X and one of HP5, my former favorite from the days before I knew what I was doing, hoping to try all the B&W films to settle on one. Being halloween, I set out with the M6 and also with my D700, mostly used by my brother-in-law, which certainly proved to be useless at autofocusing in the dark, but boy, it's such an ergonomically pleasing camera. I get why the modern DSLR is as popular as it is. They have all the modern conveniences and they make life easy and you get a lot of keepers. But tonight, I understood why the RF is the low-light focus champ. As long as you can see the two images in the focus patch, you can accurately focus.

The Summilux has a focusing ring that has this handle on it with a finger notch in the middle. I'm sure a long-time Leica user could explain it to me, but the placement of this thing seems like it's in the wrong place. As you turn the focus ring—which has no texture, ribbing or contour of any kind—this handle, which is all you can grip, travels along the bottom third of the ring. I don't find that my fingers intuitively fall into the notch, or indeed around the sides of the handle. The hand falls naturally under the lens, as though you are cradling it from below, with both thumb and fingers supporting it's weight. This handle falls in the middle of that. If you put your thumb in the notch, your forefinger naturally goes on top of the lens barrel, at 12 o'clock. This blocks the rangefinder. I don't get it yet.

It's a shame you cannot see the SS or aperture settings in the viewfinder, but maybe that's what makes the Leica experience what it is. Still, it was easy to operate with your eye in the finder, and the mirrorless design had me worrying about my shutter speed much less than I would have on an SLR. It was refreshing to have such a minimum of control and also made me feel like I had a lot to give up.

The metering system works with 3 LEDs; two arrows and a dot to indicate exactly what you'd expect. Nicely, the arrows point in the direction that either the aperture ring or the shutter dial must turn to achieve a correct exposure. On the M6, you only have single stops: 1sec, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250, 500 and 1000, and bulb and a stop at 1/50s for flash sync. A lot of the time, the meter indicates you are about a half-stop from optimal. The aperture ring can be moved in half-stop increments, so I found myself sometimes compensating to the meter with half-stop aperture adjustments. When I get this first batch back from the lab, I can see how much these half-stop under- and over-exposures are affecting the results. The bummer here is that all exposure compensation has to be done in your brain. You only know what a "correct" exposure is to the meter and you need to think about the settings to compensate for, say a dark environment you want to portray as dark, or for something light, like snow. You cannot simply look at the meter and see how far away your exposure adjustments are taking you from the meter's "proper" exposure. All part of "The Leica As Teacher" I should think.

The VF is very bright and looks great. There is only a 35mm with this camera and the 0.85 version has its largest field of view lines for the 35mm, so I can effectively use the whole VF and haven't had to use any of the other lines. The benefit you hear a lot, that the VF lets you see what's outside the frame, aiding compositional choice, hasn't dawned on me yet for the reason I've explained above. I still have no concept of parallax error and the other things that affect RF shooters so I have it easy for now. Ignorance is bliss.

Without having seen the results yet, the experience is pretty great. It takes me back to my OM-1, minus the TTL composing. I love the size. It's exactly what a personal camera is supposed to look and feel like. I'm not getting that feeling the DSLR gives me in public, which I find is a disincentive to being the kind of person who carries the camera "everywhere" with himself. The manual focus, I actually enjoy very much. It's terrible with moving subjects coming closer or going farther away and kids—forget it unless they're pretty stationary. But the method is easy to understand and I imagine people get good at fast, accurate focusing of moving objects with experience. I have no plans to give up shooting DSLRs!

I'm seriously not looking forward to all the film processing and scanning costs, which may become a bane. Then I think about the cost of an M9 and it doesn't seems so bad.

More to come and examples of some amateurish figuring-out in the near future.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    ReeRay wrote:
    Brilliant camera - awesome.

If you get the hang of shooting with a rangefinder (and manual at that) you'll love it.

The Contax has some serious appeal thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    The Contax has some serious appeal thumb.gif

Forgot to mention a few extra points of a Contax G2

a) VF shows focus point/distance
    b) VF shows shutter speed
    c) 1/10th the price of a Leica - body and lenses
    d) Glass equal to Leica easily (and not just my opinion)

Current Ebay listings show - G2 with 28, 45 and 90mm lenses c.$1,000!

You should try Fuji Acros in Black and white - awesome stuff.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm (40mm 35 equiv.) f/1.7 is the modern HCB camera. I've had it about a month and just getting used to shooting without a viewfinder. It's great at ISO 800, not so much at ISO 1600, but it has all the advantages of small size, quiet, &etc. A little faster prime would be nice, not really great bokah wide open (but it does have bokah as opposed to the P&S cameras.) People just don't care if you shoot them with it, unlike the big creepy DSLRs.

699355283_e7Nnc-XL.jpg

699354178_YmpVH-XL.jpg

699354656_BR7PZ-XL.jpg

See the exif info and more outside dusk shots in the gallery here.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 1, 2009
    I was just about to mention the GF1 as a modern alternative rutt, and you beat me to it.

A lot cheaper than an M9 also. I even have some old Olympus glass from my OM-2

But you will get the bokeh with an M9, of course.

Cool Halloween shots.

We're still waiting for a good quality digital range finder other than a Leica.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    I was just about to mention the GF1 as a modern alternative rutt, and you beat me to it.

A lot cheaper than an M9 also. I even have some old Olympus glass from my OM-2

Will those work in the GF1? If so, ebay, here I come.
    pathfinder wrote:
    But you will get the bokeh with an M9, of course.

I guess this really is more a function of sensor size than of the aperture of the lenses. With my 5D, there would have been great bokah in shot #3 even at f/2.8. But if micro 4/3 takes off, there will probably eventually be faster lenses.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Rutt, some of the best examples of the GF1 are yours. I wasn't able to achieve anything close with the E-P1 in sharpness or detail. NICE.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    Rutt, some of the best examples of the GF1 are yours. I wasn't able to achieve anything close with the E-P1 in sharpness or detail. NICE.

Thank you.

Well, you know I do cheat by being pretty good at post processing. Still, it's apples to apples with me because I was also doing that with my 5DmkII images.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Will those work in the GF1? If so, ebay, here I come.

John, I don't have a GF1, although I am considering one. So all I know is what I see on the web. Here are a few links about lenses for Micro 4/3s - there is even a rental source of lenses here - http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2009.08.20/micro-4-3-legacy-lenses

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

http://www.cameraquest.com/adp_micro_43.htm

http://www.cameraquest.com/adp_micro_43_fd.htm

This last link does mention an adapter for Olympus OM lenses but I don't see a picture of one here.

The GF1 has a very shallow lens mount to sensor plane distance, which allows adapters for almost all other interchangeable lenses although in manual focus, manual mode usage if I understand these links correctly.

If I am incorrect, please feel free to correct my errors.
    I guess this really is more a function of sensor size than of the aperture of the lenses. With my 5D, there would have been great bokah in shot #3 even at f/2.8. But if micro 4/3 takes off, there will probably eventually be faster lenses

As you are well aware, DOF is deeper at a given aperture for smaller formats than larger formats. So Micro 4/3s will have more DOF than a full frame camera all other things being equal. On the other hand, a 100mm f2.0 Zeiss Macro Planar on a GF 1 body will have the tele view of a 200mm lens on a full frame camera, but with an f2.0 aperture. That ought to provide adequately shallow DOF I would think.

• Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    As you are well aware, DOF is deeper at a given aperture for smaller formats than larger formats. So Micro 4/3s will have more DOF than a full frame camera all other things being equal. On the other hand, a 100mm f2.0 Zeiss Macro Planar on a GF 1 body will have the tele view of a 200mm lens on a full frame camera, but with an f2.0 aperture. That ought to provide adequately shallow DOF I would think.

Kind of defeats the purpose of this camera. Might as well bring the 5D with 50mm f/1.4.

For me the point of this camera is to be able to get really close with a fairly wide lens and not have people absolutely freak out. Oh, and fits in a jacket pocket, is good.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    For me the point of this camera is to be able to get really close with a fairly wide lens and not have people absolutely freak out. Oh, and fits in a jacket pocket, is good.

nod.gif

The GF1 is the camera that will prompt me to sell my Pentax ME with 40mm 2.8 pancake. Love that little thing, but the GF1 is smaller, and, well, digital. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    I kind of hijacked this thread. Maybe some ambitious moderator will do something to fix that and make Leica threads be about Leicas and GF1 threads be about GF1s.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 3, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    I kind of hijacked this thread. Maybe some ambitious moderator will do something to fix that and make Leica threads be about Leicas and GF1 threads be about GF1s.
    I think everything here is relevant, no need to take it to the chop shop IMO, unless Pindy asks, that is.

In fact, I'm interested in where this thread has gone in terms of DSLR alternatives - the EP-1 and GF1 are on my radar.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Pindy, the original poster in this thread, asked "Which would you rather carry around?" and below his question was a picture of a large DSLR with a longish lens and a diminutive Leica M6 with a small 35mm-ish lens.

SO I think the question of size of camera is worth exploring. But once you start talking about rangefinder Leicas ( whether digital or film ) other cameras can be considered as well. Like the GF1.

I have been waiting for Canon ( who once upon a time, along with Nikon, built lovely rangefinders ) to bring back a real world class digital rangefinder ( full frame or even APS sensor ) but it does not look like it is gonna happen.

Panasonic, a camera 'outsider' has jumped into the fray with a worthwhile contender, at less than 1/4 of the cost of a digital Leica and an appropriate lens. The GF1 with glass will cost less than the best Leica glass without a body even. Hard to ignore that. Hard for you too, apparently, John.

The ability of the GF1 to use so many alternate lenses will be attractive to many shooters, just not "street shooters" perhaps. Remember though, the Leicas all the street shooters used in the past, were all manual focus lenses also..... SO the GF1 may not be at that big of a disadvantage in focusing after all with manual lenses. F8 and be there!

• Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    I wouldn't like to focus manually on the GF1 finder.

On the other hand, I love its autofocus. Very impressive, and much better at picking focus points that any Canon I've used.

Look, I bought this camera and lens for a very particular purpose, and it's doing that job amazingly well. I feel that when I use this camera I'm making some of the same kind of compromises vs big Canon dSLRs that HCB made vs the large and medium format cameras favored by all the famous photographers who came before him. I think that's what he meant when he said, "Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    No worries on the hijacking. The Contax G2 is indeed a worthy comparison, as is the GF1, although without a viewfinder, I find it personally unappealing. But all other comparisons to the Leica M vis-à-vis size and stealth are welcome.

The last week with the M6 has taught me to love manual focus again. Perhaps it's that a rangefinder is simply built to focus with your eyes and your hands. When you land the correct tool, it can make a previously insufferable job enjoyable. Like when you buy a really great bread knife. I am unabashedly in favor of camera automation but except for a few instances, I'm feeling free of it in a great way. I haven't felt this in charge of a camera in 25 years. The other thing to love is that 1/15s is no longer a deal breaker for handholdability. I'm very curious to see if that makes up for the lack of ISO muscle I've come to expect in the D700/D3.

The other, more rather expected, effect of this experiment is that I now look upon DSLRs as hulking, massive attention-getters and it's only until you understand why having no mirror box affects the size of the camera and lens, do you start to realize the RF form-factor's diminutive build is in no way a compromise in image quality—in fact it's the opposite. It's hard for me not to begrudge the poor SLR these traits now. When you need to see through the lens, however, there's no substitute. Just another way of working.

I have a couple of rolls at my lab being developed and scanned and I'll have them Weds afternoon. Let's see if the results in any way support the love I'm feeling.

Thanks to whomever suggested Neopan 400. Picked up a couple of rolls this morning to try out.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    ReeRay wrote:
    I shoot a bevy of RF cameras, favourites being Contax G1 and G2, auto focusing, metered and Zeiss glass.

G2 is a really cool camera. They were clearly on the losing side of history when this was released, but now, quite an amazing deal. I think the thing that would keep me from buying one (at least first) is the preponderance of features. Part of the exercise is to love manual again. The G2 seems like a brilliant hybrid, if that's what you're angling for.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    G2 is a really cool camera. They were clearly on the losing side of history when this was released, but now, quite an amazing deal. I think the thing that would keep me from buying one (at least first) is the preponderance of features. Part of the exercise is to love manual again. The G2 seems like a brilliant hybrid, if that's what you're angling for.

Manual focusing is via a turn-wheel on the body with correct focus indicators and distance available in the VF. Very very accurate method.

Autofocus is great with moving subjects as "continuous" AF is available.

Now, here's an interesting spin off - there's an adapter available to fit the superb and Leica busting Contax G lenses to (say) a GF1, Gh1, G1!

These Zeiss G lenses can be got for a few hundred dollars each at present! And the 45mm F2 is generally regarded as the finest sharpest 35mm lens ever!

Interesting developments for sure

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11575
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2009
    Now then—got back the first two rolls. The good news is that out of two rolls, everything I tried to focus on was in focus. Due to the slow shutter speeds (I took the vast majority of these shots at night) you have motion blur, but for me the big win is the lack of camera-shake. Many of these were taken at 1/15s or 1/8s and, boy, mirrors really do suck, so I'm very very pleased with this particular advantage.

I did not quite remember the amount of grain inherent in 400 speed B&W film (These are Tri-X and HP5 Plus—not sure which, gotta look at my negs) but grain is not an enemy of sharpness, nor of aesthetics, so it just is what it is and I sort of understand why people want to emulate grain in their post processing. I can't say I like it or hate it. It just is.

One thing that really stands out to me about the Leica, is that the majority of my people shots, even the ones in exterior darkness, tend to have the faces properly exposed. In my digital SLR life, I am constantly looking at shots where the faces tend to be dark and ruddy after the matrix metering exposed for something other than the face I pointed the camera at. Liking this simplistic metering—it's working for me.

None of these test shots are supposed to be anything resembling good photography and I clearly need to do a little black-point work, etc.

710790102_LikDL-L.jpg

710789017_csBie-L.jpg

710789167_nn6xy-L.jpg

710788430_fpTwL-L.jpg

710787955_YytNP-L.jpg

710787869_axgh7-L.jpg

710787795_nqJPo-L.jpg

710792194_9cRLb-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    710787955_YytNP-S.jpg

710792194_9cRLb-S.jpg
    Great exposure, sharp faces, shallow depth, smooth bokeh... what's not to like???!
    Erik

• Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    710786476_zEM6M-L.jpg

The limitations imposed on me by this way of working is actually wonderful. It also makes me think, with hand-holdability like this, who needs ISO 6400? (Okay, not really. But still, 1/8s or 1/15s was always an impossibility in reflex-land)

710787294_8b23Y-M.jpg

The concept of pre-focusing is beginning to dawn on me. There's this finger grip around the focus rings of many Leica lenses that was baffling at first, but now I can see it's a way of fostering muscle-memory and also giving the photographer a reference of where the lens is focused by feel. I have been told to set the focus ring to infinity after each shot so you only have to move it in one direction as you get ready to make an image. Furthermore, the grip at 6 o'clock (stright down in other words) is 4ft. It would not take much to familiarize oneself with the positions of the grip and their focal distances. More to figure out.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2009
    So the decision was made to acquire one of my very own. Not sure if a film body or whether I may just siphon off a nice, long embezzlement towards an M9. How did they do it in Office Space? All the other RF cameras I've considered are worthy in their own right but most have one or two deal breakers:

1. Complexity or an attempt to be all-singing, all-dancing. Sorry Contax G2!
    2. Crop factor. Sorry M8 and Epson. Did the APS-C thing and not going back again. Panasonic and Olympus are at least creating lenses for the sensor but both suffer from point #3.
    3. No viewfinder

The Zeiss Ikon is a nice alternative to an M6 or M7 and should be considered. But in the end, I want the M9 because it's the way forward, until somebody else does a FFRF.

Could I actually divest myself of the DSLR to fund this desire? I think I would seriously regret it. When I think of all I would miss it doesn't appeal so much. Macro lenses. Telephoto lenses. Wireless flash. Remote triggering (something I do enough to make it a loss). Today's DSLRs are an incredible value for money. Still, I think the RF could cover 80% of the photography I do so it pushes me to consider it, late at night when I should be asleep.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    So the decision was made to acquire one of my very own. Not sure if a film body or whether I may just siphon off a nice, long embezzlement towards an M9. How did they do it in Office Space? All the other RF cameras I've considered are worthy in their own right but most have one or two deal breakers:

1. Complexity or an attempt to be all-singing, all-dancing. Sorry Contax G2!
    2. Crop factor. Sorry M8 and Epson. Did the APS-C thing and not going back again. Panasonic and Olympus are at least creating lenses for the sensor but both suffer from point #3.
    3. No viewfinder

The Zeiss Ikon is a nice alternative to an M6 or M7 and should be considered. But in the end, I want the M9 because it's the way forward, until somebody else does a FFRF.

Could I actually divest myself of the DSLR to fund this desire? I think I would seriously regret it. When I think of all I would miss it doesn't appeal so much. Macro lenses. Telephoto lenses. Wireless flash. Remote triggering (something I do enough to make it a loss). Today's DSLRs are an incredible value for money. Still, I think the RF could cover 80% of the photography I do so it pushes me to consider it, late at night when I should be asleep.

I said you would have trouble handing it back :D

Welcome to the RF world
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2009
    Pindy wrote:
    ... so it pushes me to consider it, late at night when I should be asleep.
    lol3.gif

Thanks for a great couple posts - really good info/analysis here for anyone who enjoys this kind of gear and shooting.
    Erik

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Pindy wrote:

Made some hacking program to steal a fraction of a penny from everyone's bank account. :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Nice shots.

I have an old Leica, unused for years. You may have inspired me to get it out and play with it if I get bored with my GF1.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2009
    DoctorIt wrote:
    lol3.gif

Thanks for a great couple posts - really good info/analysis here for anyone who enjoys this kind of gear and shooting.

ditto!

clap.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Have you noticed the way film and related hardware is creeping up in price?

It's not scarcity related either as there's a plentiful supply of all products.

I bought a complete Rollei 6002 kit on Ebay 18 months ago. Mint condition, charger, 4 spare batteries, prism finder, 50, 80 and 150 PQ lenses - total cost was $985. It was a steal.

Last week on Ebay a 6002 with just an 80mm HFT went for the same price!

Conclusion - film still rockswings.gif
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    It's been interesting perusing the rangefinder forums; I'm struck by a few differences. First, many of the participants don't seem to care much about critical focus and I suppose they're quite right as hobbyists to concentrate on mood, emotion, color, light, gesture and all the other things you may want to concentrate on. Still, it makes a change from the technical perfection a lot of digital photographers seem to strive for, here and elsewhere. The other notable thing is, because so many RF shooters still use film, you see a range of prowess in how well the person can scan a negative, slide or print (or how well their lab did) and a lot of scans that I would have nixed are proudly presented. Again, how interesting it is to visit with similarly-minded people who espouse different aesthetic ideals!

I cannot say, from my time lurking amongst the rangefinderati that I have come to love film any more than I did. In some cases, it's breathtakingly beautiful in the right hands and eyes. There seems to be a pattern of me liking Portra 160VC quite a bit. Other times, it's like driving miles of hard road. Seeing a digital shot is sometimes soothing with its lack of grain and other filmic qualities that are less than ideal.

It makes a horse race.